Page 73 of 200 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 2000

Thread: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

  1. #721
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Are we now pretending that you have ESP and can predict the future reliably? I'd suggest that your posts on this board say otherwise.
    Nope, just asking that you let us know when the Muslim Brotherhood holds real elections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #722
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    While Egypt won't become part of the 'Shia crescent', this could 'close the circle'on Israel. With Iran to the West???, Syria and Iran-backed Hezbollah to the North, and now a possibly Egypt and Egypt-supported Hamas to the West???.

    Even without Egypt Israel was/is vulnerble to a large and sumultaneous [even] non-nuclear missile attack. Raining thousand of high-explosive or other damaging payloads on it with Minutes. Staring with only a few minutes warning in the case of Syria, and over with 20-30 with missles from Iran. Add in a motivated Egypt and Arabs could destroy most of tiny Israel that counts quickly.
    Coventional warafre you speak of would only be a remnant in this case.

    I see the above scenario possible and within 2-3 years. There really is no defense except 'MAD'.
    I fear your grasp of geo-political possibilities is as shaky as your geography. I don't believe that Israel's neighbours are going to gang-up and rain missiles on it, nor do I believe Israel will resort to unilateral nuclear force. What you call MAD cannot be M because no one else in the region has 'em.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  3. #723
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    I fear your grasp of geo-political possibilities is as shaky as your geography. I don't believe that Israel's neighbours are going to gang-up and rain missiles on it, nor do I believe Israel will resort to unilateral nuclear force. What you call MAD cannot be M because no one else in the region has 'em.
    It's naive to automatically assume that it won't happen. Afterall, it's happened before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #724
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,951

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    I think that we should let Egypt do their own thing. Part of the problem has been the US support of Mubarak. It would be very bad if Egypt elected an anti-Israeli Islamist, but we should deal with that if it happens. We must remember that Egypt isn't like every other Middle Eastern nation. They are almost half Christian and they seem to take a general stance against terrorism.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #725
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Didn't we have a real election in other countries of the region under Islamic control? How far are you willing to go to promote democracy? Does that include supporting the people of Iran who protested the fraudulent elections? What step will you support if the Egypt elections after the overthrow of the govt. are proven to be fraudulent like Iran's?
    I will do nothing, because that isn't my country, and it's not my job to determine their government. The only option I'd suggest is elmininating our foreign aid to Egypt.

  6. #726
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I will do nothing, because that isn't my country, and it's not my job to determine their government. The only option I'd suggest is elmininating our foreign aid to Egypt.
    Yet you believe this country should support the people but I guess that is only up to a point. The people of the region voted for democracy and what they got was an Islamic fundamentalist state who created fraudulent results. Where is your outrage? The people of Iran were protesting in the streets over their illegitimate elections so where was your support then?

    If it is truly the will of the people to be free then why would you not support U.S. help to the region when elections are fraudulent?

  7. #727
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think that we should let Egypt do their own thing. Part of the problem has been the US support of Mubarak. It would be very bad if Egypt elected an anti-Israeli Islamist, but we should deal with that if it happens. We must remember that Egypt isn't like every other Middle Eastern nation. They are almost half Christian and they seem to take a general stance against terrorism.
    Where do you get that from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #728
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yet you believe this country should support the people but I guess that is only up to a point. The people of the region voted for democracy and what they got was an Islamic fundamentalist state who created fraudulent results. Where is your outrage? The people of Iran were protesting in the streets over their illegitimate elections so where was your support then?
    I don't believe that we should interfere with their elections. I think that it is the right of the people of Egypt to call for new elections and depose a tyrant whenever they wish. I do not believe that American troops should be on the ground in Egypt for this purpose, but I do believe that how the Egyptian government handles this situation should determine the amount we send each year in aid to Egypt.

    As far as our support of Egypt, it should be primarily verbal. I think we should get out of the business of building democracies and determining what the governance of other nations should be. It's not our place.

    Regarding the Green Revolution, I was probably the most supportive person (of that movement) on this board. Feel free to do a search.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 02-01-11 at 01:34 PM.

  9. #729
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I don't believe that we should interfere with their elections. I think that it is the right of the people of Egypt to call for new elections and depose a tyrant whenever they wish. I do not believe that American troops should be on the ground in Egypt for this purpose, but I do believe that how the Egyptian government handles this situation should determine the amount we send each year in aid to Egypt.

    As far as our support of Egypt, it should be primarily verbal. I think we should get out of the business of building democracies and determining what the governance of other nations should be. It's not our place.

    Regarding the Green Revolution, I was probably the most supportive person (of that movement) on this board. Feel free to do a search.
    Think we should have gotten involved with Germany in the 30's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #730
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I don't believe that we should interfere with their elections. I think that it is the right of the people of Egypt to call for new elections and depose a tyrant whenever they wish. I do not believe that American troops should be on the ground in Egypt for this purpose, but I do believe that how the Egyptian government handles this situation should determine the amount we send each year in aid to Egypt.

    As far as our support of Egypt, it should be primarily verbal. I think we should get out of the business of building democracies and determining what the governance of other nations should be. It's not our place.

    Regarding the Green Revolution, I was probably the most supportive person (of that movement) on this board. Feel free to do a search.
    What you are ignoring is that the calls and protests for democracy in the region have led to Islamic radicals to take over and defy the will of the people. Then what? How far are you willing to go to assure that the will of the people for a democracy is realized? Radical islam is always a step ahead of most people, step one, remove the existing govt, step two elect a weak leader, step three remove that leader and install a well funded Islamic fundmentalist that implements a real dictatorship.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •