Page 190 of 200 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 2000

Thread: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

  1. #1891
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    PART 1 of 2

    For Tamarlain and all others who refuse to be humble after the fact. Here is clear evidence that Arabs voting for the laws that would govern them for the first time in history in Iraq was key to what you see on your electronic box of "wisdom" today....
    .
    It's utterly bizarre that somebody would consider this (and part 2) as evidence that there is a primarily causal link between Iraq and what's happening now. And again, you indulge in hypocrisy stating that Arabs influenced Persians (the single freedom-seeking individual in your list that made a connection), yet Persians and Turks (or anyone else) couldn't influence Arabs. Please be consistent.

  2. #1892
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,005

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    That's some twisted logic right there! BTW, shouldn't we get back to the thread topic?
    It's fact. You may read his letter. It was addressed to you.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  3. #1893
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,005

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    MSgt, I truly hope that you continue to make the obvious (to some) and compelling case that the Invasion and Liberation of Iraq was always about the region and that it has set the stage for the events unfolding now. I will do the same.
    It's coming down to people who are either...

    1) ... realizing the greater impact and letting it go

    or

    2) ... are so satisfied with their traditional negativity, protests, and ignorance, that they prefer to cook up everything and anything to avoid what they know. I've not seen as desparate as trying to give credit to revolution in Georgia though.



    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Now, the whole reason I am responding to your post, I did get a little carried away above, is your statement that King Abdul II has been trying to give more and more power to the people and I was peripherally aware of that and his liberal intentions. But you say that the Jordanians have REFUSED? What is that all about?
    King Abdulah II has been trying to impliment government change that would give his throne less power and the people's representation more. Jordan is largely a Palestinian state and as such are very focused on things going on outside their country between "Palestine" and Israel. This is also the country that hosted "Black September." He has been having trouble getting the people and their political groups to transcend their religious organizations. Many prefer religious theocracy and see democracy as a perversion and a tool in which to deny religious rule (they are right). Zarqawi slaughtering Muslims in Jordan in 2005? (I believe) went a long way to discredit Al-Queda in the eyes of Jodans, but they are traditional in their religious rhetorics in regards to the Palestinian/Israeli issue. The political parties tend to be extreme right, which scares the King's idea for Jordan's future.
    Last edited by MSgt; 02-13-11 at 07:00 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  4. #1894
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Sitting House Speaker John Boehner said he thinks the Obama administration handled "a very difficult situation" in Egypt as best it could.

    Read more: Gingrich: Obama Handling of Mubarak Ouster Raises 'Trust' Issues for Other Allies - FoxNews.com
    ......................
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  5. #1895
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    It's fact. You may read his letter. It was addressed to you.
    I have read his fatwa and I interpret it differently that you.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #1896
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,005

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I have read his fatwa and I interpret it differently that you.
    I'm sure you did. I guess you missed the part about the UN mission and the "starving children of Iraq." Most protestors do. But the rest of Osama Bin Laden's words are to be swallowed and appreciated.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  7. #1897
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,005

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    It's utterly bizarre that somebody would consider this (and part 2) as evidence that there is a primarily causal link between Iraq and what's happening now. And again, you indulge in hypocrisy stating that Arabs influenced Persians (the single freedom-seeking individual in your list that made a connection), yet Persians and Turks (or anyone else) couldn't influence Arabs. Please be consistent.
    Understand the culture and then preach about what you consider consistent.

    Persians (converts) are not Sunni. Turks (converts), though influenced by Sunni, are not Arabs. Iran is seperate from the rest and will have little influenceon what Sunni Arab populations do. And with the Ottoman's abolishing the caliphate in the 1920s, I would think you would move on from the idea that they inspired anything in the Arab world. Recent history has been recorded in phases....

    1) The "Era of Independence" saw these nations freed from colonial powers. This was facilitated by Europe's inability to sustain their long arm in the 1950s after WWII. The common theme amongst all Arab nations was military coup.

    2) The end of the Cold War saw the Soviet Union and America release their grips on these nations all over the world. For a brief period, we simply looked away. The 9/11 happened. With Tunisia, we see the dominoes falling. Was this facilitated by Saudi Arabia who allowed low level elections for Muslims for the first time in history in 2005? Or was it facilitated by Iraqis who were the first Arabs in history to vote on the laws that would govern them on international television in 2005 and then again in 2010? Is democracy yet another common theme amongst Arab nations today? What will this era be labeled?

    You may wish to believe Tammarlain's notion that a culture far removed from the Muslim world and definately from the Arab world inspired them from Georgia's activities in 2003. Or you may prefer to acknowledge that all these Arab populations are seeing each other, but Iraq sits in a bubble that can't be seen. Or that an Iranian activist was the only Muslim in the region tuning in. What is bizarre is how stubborn the lot of you are and how easily you can dismiss the fact that their inspiration came from whithin their own culture. With all of the West proving the potential of healthy democracy for centuries, nothing in the Arab world was inspired until Iraqis voted within their own culture and proved it possible.
    Last edited by MSgt; 02-13-11 at 08:03 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  8. #1898
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    Understand the culture and then preach about what you consider consistent.

    Persians (converts) are not Sunni. Turks (converts), though influenced by Sunni, are not Arabs. Iran is seperate from the rest and will have little influenceon what Sunni Arab populations do. And with the Ottoman's abolishing the caliphate in the 1920s, I would think you would move on from the idea that they inspired anything in the Arab world. Recent history has been recorded in phases....

    1) The "Era of Independence" saw these nations freed from colonial powers. This was facilitated by Europe's inability to sustain their long arm in the 1950s after WWII. The common theme amongst all Arab nations was military coup.

    2) The end of the Cold War saw the Soviet Union and America release their grips on these nations all over the world. For a brief period, we simply looked away. The 9/11 happened. With Tunisia, we see the dominoes falling. Was this facilitated by Saudi Arabia who allowed low level elections for Muslims for the first time in history in 2005? Or was it facilitated by Iraqis who were the first Arabs in history to vote on the laws that would govern them on international television in 2005 and then again in 2010? Is democracy yet another common theme amongst Arab nations today? What will this era be labeled?
    Iraq was not the first, Algeria was in the early 90s. Lebanon has also been a country that has had elections that have had a direct result on who governs the country. Although the sectarian nature of which sect gets which position is rather flawed.





    You may wish to believe Tammarlain's notion that a culture far removed from the Muslim world and definately from the Arab world inspired them from Georgia's activities in 2003. Or you may prefer to acknowledge that all these Arab populations are seeing each other, but Iraq sits in a bubble that can't be seen. Or that an Iranian activist was the only Muslim in the region tuning in. What is bizarre is how stubborn the lot of you are and how easily you can dismiss the fact that their inspiration came from whithin their own culture. With all of the West proving the potential of healthy democracy for centuries, nothing in the Arab world was inspired until Iraqis voted within their own culture and proved it possible.
    You may believe that Arabs are closed minded people who do not pay attention to the rest of the world, but only to other Arabic countries. But I respect people greater then that. I believe Arabs can seek inspiration from other cultures other countries and other people rather then just othe Arabs. You see arabs do have access to computers, to books to television to the radio. They can see what happens in other countries, other cultures and societies and seek to emulate them or seek to change on their own without inspiration from other arabic countries or other cultures period. They are not simple minded parrots who can only see what happens in Iraq or Saudi Arabia and emulate what happens there.


    To state that arabs would only seek inspiration from other arabic countries is to state that the Chinese will never seek democracy because no chinese country is democratic (ethnic han being a far larger demographic then ethnic arabs)
    Last edited by Lord Tammerlain; 02-13-11 at 08:41 PM.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  9. #1899
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    I'm sure you did. I guess you missed the part about the UN mission and the "starving children of Iraq." Most protestors do. But the rest of Osama Bin Laden's words are to be swallowed and appreciated.
    Miss it? Most of the humane world was complaining about it, myself included. Did you miss the part where he said he would not defeat America on the battlefield but we would lose by depleting our resources trying to win a war that can't be won? How do you win a war against your own fear?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #1900
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    It's utterly bizarre that somebody would consider this (and part 2) as evidence that there is a primarily causal link between Iraq and what's happening now. And again, you indulge in hypocrisy stating that Arabs influenced Persians (the single freedom-seeking individual in your list that made a connection), yet Persians and Turks (or anyone else) couldn't influence Arabs. Please be consistent.
    People are working so hard to give credit for Egypt's revolution to Obama, that there's no way they can ever admit that IRaq had anything to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •