Page 170 of 200 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 2000

Thread: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

  1. #1691
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Looks like they lost out, because Mubarack said he isn't going anywhere.

    What now?
    As I have said a couple times now at least, it is the spirit of a people that stood up in mass in a non-violent protest to a dictator to demand their freedom. That act, in and of itself, regardless of outcome, is inspiring to those of us that love freedom.

    Why are you so down on people demanding freedom?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #1692
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    As I have said a couple times now at least, it is the spirit of a people that stood up in mass in a non-violent protest to a dictator to demand their freedom. That act, in and of itself, regardless of outcome, is inspiring to those of us that love freedom.

    Why are you so down on people demanding freedom?

    Freedom is a wonderful thing. The Iraqi people can vouch for that.

  3. #1693
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Freedom is a wonderful thing. The Iraqi people can vouch for that.
    Bring it up in a thread about Iraq and I will discuss that. In the meantime, you have anything on-topic to add to the discussion?

    Are you for the freedom the Egyptians are demanding, or not?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #1694
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,683
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    and the battles just begun.....i am very afraid for the people and what tomorrow will bring.

    my thoughts and solidarity are with the people of Egypt. mubarak has left them no other choice. it's not mubarak’s Egypt anymore, and regardless of what happens, it will never be again.
    I'm not convinced of that. The Egyptian ambassador spoke on CNN trying to "clarify" this power transfer. He was very clear that all powers had been transferred to the VP. However, when Blitzer asked if the power could be transferred back since Mubarak is still the legal president of Egypt, the ambassador refused to answer and changed the subject.

    We could be seeing some manipulation here, a psyche job to make the crowds disperse, followed by some other created crisis which only Mubarak can "constitutionally" resolve, ergo the VP transfers all powers right back to him. Meanwhile, iron barricades have cordoned off Liberation Square so the furious populace can no longer gather there.

    One way or another, tomorrow will be a big day for Egypt.
    Last edited by DiAnna; 02-11-11 at 12:02 AM.

  5. #1695
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,548

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Bring it up in a thread about Iraq and I will discuss that. In the meantime, you have anything on-topic to add to the discussion?

    Are you for the freedom the Egyptians are demanding, or not?
    I can't recall a time when freedom has been won without violence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #1696
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I can't recall a time when freedom has been won without violence.
    Velvet revolution?
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  7. #1697
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    As I have said a couple times now at least, it is the spirit of a people that stood up in mass in a non-violent protest to a dictator to demand their freedom. That act, in and of itself, regardless of outcome, is inspiring to those of us that love freedom.

    Why are you so down on people demanding freedom?

    Freedom? you still think that this is about freedom for Egypt? HA! This is Islamic revolution better known as caliphate. If you believe that this is about freedom for these people than you are displaying the same niavety that the head of Intel for Obama displayed today in front of the intel committee....What a clueless buffoon that guy is.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #1698
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,548

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Velvet revolution?
    Yeah, that happened after the military coup in Russia, that crushed the Warsaw Pact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #1699
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Freedom? you still think that this is about freedom for Egypt? HA! This is Islamic revolution better known as caliphate. If you believe that this is about freedom for these people than you are displaying the same niavety that the head of Intel for Obama displayed today in front of the intel committee....What a clueless buffoon that guy is.


    j-mac
    This is an Egyptian revolution, it has nothing to do with the fears of Americans.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #1700
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    This is an Egyptian revolution, it has nothing to do with the fears of Americans.
    Sure it does. Aren't we all connected in todays global world? That's what you libs keep telling us.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •