Page 107 of 200 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 2000

Thread: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

  1. #1061
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    What is the official conservative position on this crisis? Half say we should stand by Mubarak because the alternative will be worse and the other half say we should support the protesters and their quest for democracy. You guys better see what FOX wants you to think so you can all get on the same page..
    Ah. I love this kind of thing.

    "My stereotyping mind that likes to belittle and degrade people can't handle evidence to the contrary, so I must make a condenscending and insulting comment suggesting they're all mind numbed robots because I can't accept that my ignorant stereotyping of those I disagree with isn't possibly correct".

    Its the same thing as people opining that Conservatives must not realize that Glenn Beck and his new co-host are a Mormon and an Athiest...because we all know Conservatives could never listen to someone other than old christian white men!!!!

    News Flash, there isn't a uniformed conservative response on this because there's not a uniformed singularly conservative view point. There are many facets to conservatism and various conservatives hold various pillars in higher or lower regard thus creating different reactions to different political situations. Shocking I know, sorry to disrupted your stereotyped view of the world.

  2. #1062
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    In practical terms, we had far better control with Egypt's future last week. Our military relationship with their military is solid. But as this goes on, the Muslim Brotherhood gets its claws deeper rooted into the movement and we look more and more as that "foreign devil" who would rather their oppressions be intact for our immediate and short lasting stability concerns than gamble on them being decent human beings in the end, which is better for our long term security.


    But we have to accept that after decades and decades (even centuries for some of their societies), that they may choose a bumpy path. Like the French, maybe they will slaughter out polityical loyalitsts that disagree with them. But one thing is sure. They will not take 70 years to figure it out.

    I try to see things from a tactical vantage point. And there has been nothing tactical about any of our Cold War behaviors, in regards to dictators, pharaohs, and twisted regimes, when it comes to our long term security.
    I'm actually okay with how the state department has handled it, so far. I strongly believe that they have been applying pressure, behind the scenes, for Mubarack to step down. However, I do think that we need to be making clear statements, as a country, both from the president and the officials in the state department, that the U.S. supports democracy, and self-governance for all people around the world.

    Do you agree or disagree?

  3. #1063
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    News Flash, there isn't a uniformed conservative response on this because there's not a uniformed singularly conservative view point. There are many facets to conservatism and various conservatives hold various pillars in higher or lower regard thus creating different reactions to different political situations. Shocking I know, sorry to disrupted your stereotyped view of the world.
    I'm actually loving this, to be quite blunt, for the fractures it is creating and revealing behind the conservative facade. There are wide divergences amongst political commentators, and I will enjoy watching the fracas (in the U.S., not Egypt...in Egypt, I hope most of all for a peaceful transition to self-governance, and very little fracas, unless camels are involved).

    I like it when you people fight, particularly when it is loud and public.

  4. #1064
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    I will say this, I'm not thrilled with how we're handling Egypt but I'm much happier with it then I am with regards to Iran...which I was, and continue to be, furious towards Obama and his administration for.

    In this case I think a mores restrained and behind the scenes approach with sparce but pointed public statements is the proper course of action due to our issues in the past with supporting said dictator.

  5. #1065
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I will say this, I'm not thrilled with how we're handling Egypt but I'm much happier with it then I am with regards to Iran...which I was, and continue to be, furious towards Obama and his administration for.

    In this case I think a mores restrained and behind the scenes approach with sparce but pointed public statements is the proper course of action due to our issues in the past with supporting said dictator.
    Yes, I would have liked to have seen much more forceful statements directed at Khomeini et. al. However, i fully recognize that there was some risk associated with the U.S. attempting to link itself too closely to the green revolution (to the green revolution itself). It was a delicate and nuanced thing, and I'm not sure exactly what the right move should have been.

  6. #1066
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I'm actually loving this, to be quite blunt, for the fractures it is creating and revealing behind the conservative facade. There are wide divergences amongst political commentators, and I will enjoy watching the fracas (in the U.S., not Egypt...in Egypt, I hope most of all for a peaceful transition to self-governance, and very little fracas, unless camels are involved).

    I like it when you people fight, particularly when it is loud and public.
    I don't think its really revealing much behind the "conservative facade" as you put it, because I don't think there's some fake front being put forward. I think its clear, and has been clear for some time, that various constituencies within the conservative movement view the various principles of Conservatism...or the four pillars as I keep labeling them...differently in regards to how important or unimportant they are and how the play between them should work.

    I think this is a situation which highlights well some of the various TYPES of conservatives you have, but I don't think many of them are really hiding being some kind of "facade" and are pretty apparent to anyone giving them substantial honest and realistic viewing. There's nothing wholey unconservative in and of itself with regards to either defending the notion of proping up the Mubarak regime or in defending the notion of supporting the protesters. Its the ways and means in which one reaches those conclusions that gives a highlight as to whether or not the person is making it based on conservative principles...but the end points can both be reached through conservative thought.

  7. #1067
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Its the ways and means in which one reaches those conclusions that gives a highlight as to whether or not the person is making it based on conservative principles...but the end points can both be reached through conservative thought.
    +10,000

    This is true for many other issues besides this one.

  8. #1068
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

    News Flash, there isn't a uniformed conservative response on this because there's not a uniformed singularly conservative view point. .
    Then why do conservatives label people that don't agree with them liberals?

  9. #1069
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I'm actually okay with how the state department has handled it, so far. I strongly believe that they have been applying pressure, behind the scenes, for Mubarack to step down. However, I do think that we need to be making clear statements, as a country, both from the president and the officials in the state department, that the U.S. supports democracy, and self-governance for all people around the world.
    I think the way they are handling the current situation, with good crisis management skills, is fine. The fact that they (and I'm referring to The West in general, not just the US) have had so little influence in promoting democracy amongst the ME allies is the very reason why these countries are suffering the convulsions they are doing now. Would the Moslem Brotherhood even be a serious force in Egypt now had the democratic aspirations of the Egyptian people had any outlet for decades; had the régime been seen as even remotely accountable to the people. Could the Egyptian people have been forgiven for believing that Mubarak listened more to Brussels or the White House than to them? And what do you believe the Egyptians believe the White House or the EU were saying to him?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  10. #1070
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Then why do conservatives label people that don't agree with them liberals?
    Some do, but many do not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •