Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 122

Thread: Bush officials violated Hatch Act, agency concludes

  1. #11
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Bush officials violated Hatch Act, agency concludes

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I know, I know, Bush hasn't been in office in more than 2 years, and this is old news, even though it has just come to light. Why don't we just move on?

    Here is why we don't just move on - If former Bush officials are allowed to skate without consequences, then what is to prevent Obama from doing the exact same thing, knowing that they will also never be on the hook for it? The Hatch Act either works or it doesn't work, and there must be limits to abuse of political offices, don't you think?

    That is why my answer must be prosecute. Either that, or just repeal the Hatch Act as a law relic that gives the American people a warm and fuzzy feeling that their leaders are accountable for their actions, but just doesn't work in real life.

    Article is here.
    Agree with your point. Either enforce the laws or get rid of (or revise) the ones that are outdated.

    But before pursuing prosecutions, it would be appropriate to determine if some of this behavior has just become business as usual in Washington (suspicions lean that is the case).

    Am all for cleaning things up moving forward. Not so much for putting people in jail just because they happened to be the most recent ones in a behavior pattern that has been going on for decades.


    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  2. #12
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Bush officials violated Hatch Act, agency concludes

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Agree with your point. Either enforce the laws or get rid of (or revise) the ones that are outdated.

    But before pursuing prosecutions, it would be appropriate to determine if some of this behavior has just become business as usual in Washington (suspicions lean that is the case).

    Am all for cleaning things up moving forward. Not so much for putting people in jail just because they happened to be the most recent ones in a behavior pattern that has been going on for decades.


    .
    To the bolded - absolutely all sorts of unacceptable actions have become mere business-as-usual. . . because they're are no repercussions.

    A repercussion for a congressman is to be voted OUT - repercussion for the president is only to be Impeached - but that must be done while *in* office - and violating a few things here and there usually isn't known quick enough - nor is it *enough* in general to warrant such an action.

    The repercussion for a president WAS being voted out - but when they capped time in office at 2 terms is kind of took away the importance of that action. 4 years, it's argued, isn't very long to wait to just get rid of someone.

    A congressmen can be brought up on ethics-charges, even jailed and booted out, but the office of the Presidency seems to be untouched - which, overall, regardless of who's in office and Bush and all that, is unacceptable.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 01-26-11 at 09:26 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #13
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Bush officials violated Hatch Act, agency concludes

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    To the bolded - absolutely all sorts of unacceptable actions have become mere business-as-usual. . . because they're are no repercussions.

    A repercussion for a congressman is to be voted OUT - repercussion for the president is only to be Impeached - but that must be done while *in* office - and violating a few things here and there usually isn't known quick enough - nor is it *enough* in general to warrant such an action.

    The repercussion for a president WAS being voted out - but when they capped time in office at 2 terms is kind of took away the importance of that action. 4 years, it's argued, isn't very long to wait to just get rid of someone.

    A congressmen can be brought up on ethics-charges, even jailed and booted out, but the office of the Presidency seems to be untouched - which, overall, regardless of who's in office and Bush and all that, is unacceptable.
    This thread was started because of a personal vendetta against Bush. If Bush gets shot tomorrow, can we hang that on political vitriol?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #14
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Bush officials violated Hatch Act, agency concludes

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    This thread was started because of a personal vendetta against Bush. If Bush gets shot tomorrow, can we hang that on political vitriol?
    That part kind of confused me. The article said it was a "3 year old" investigation. First impression was that it began under the Bush administration.

    If it was initiated by the new Obama appointee, the investigation would ring a bit more of a partisan thingy...


    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  5. #15
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Bush officials violated Hatch Act, agency concludes

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    This thread was started because of a personal vendetta against Bush. If Bush gets shot tomorrow, can we hang that on political vitriol?
    So I could start another thread discussing the overall action that can be taken against any president in office (during or after presidency) and say the exact same thing.

    I really don't care about the personal-views of the OP. I saw it as bringing up a subject that IS an issue of concern in general - partisanship aside.

    There is little REASON for a president to stick to the rules - thus - rules are being violated frivolously. . . anyone who says otherwise is fooling their selves. And it most certainly is not "just Bush" - because, as was pointed out, it's become "business as usual"

    If no one does anything because they want to be stubborn and insist that "you're just against so-n-so!" then NOTHING will ever change. The issue has to be pressed and change has to start somewhere. Why not Bush?
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 01-26-11 at 10:15 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Bush officials violated Hatch Act, agency concludes

    from the OP link...

    It said that, while not enough information was available to conclude "whether these events should have been classified as political and reimbursement should have been sought," a separate probe of them has been started, "due to the seriousness of using government aircraft to attend political events."
    If that is what is against the law via the Hatch Act... using funds/facilities for political purposes... and there isn't enough information to conclude the clssification of the events... um... what's the problem again?

  7. #17
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Bush officials violated Hatch Act, agency concludes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Hatch Act? Is this really all they have on Bush?

    Obama offered Bart Sestak a job on the White House, if he dropped out of the race. That's illegally influencing an election, is a felony and carries a 5 year stretch in the joint. There was no investigation.

    Now, we need to prosecute Bush, because a few civil servants might have engaged in partisan political activity?

    That's not Bush's fault. That's on those civil servants that particiated in such activity. They're the ones that have violated the Hatch Act. Prosecute them.
    Is a violation a violation or not? And can you really defend someone by complaining about someone else?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #18
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,353

    Re: Bush officials violated Hatch Act, agency concludes

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Is a violation a violation or not? And can you really defend someone by complaining about someone else?
    The Hatch Act prohibits civil servants from participating in partisan political events. Bush isn't a civil servant. Was there some sort of violation? Maybe. Is Bush guilty of violating the Hatch Act? That's a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Bush officials violated Hatch Act, agency concludes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There was no investigation.
    Why do you assume that this wasn't investigated?

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Bush officials violated Hatch Act, agency concludes

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    This thread was started because of a personal vendetta against Bush. If Bush gets shot tomorrow, can we hang that on political vitriol?
    If Bush committed a criminal act, or otherwise violated the law, he should be prosecuted. That's not political. I feel the same way about Obama or Clinton or any other political figure.

    The real question is: Why don't you?
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 01-26-11 at 11:32 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •