Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale

  1. #1
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale

    US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale - Yahoo! News

    Green was just 18 years old when he was convicted. Police were searching for four men suspected of raping a woman in a stolen car, and found Green walking nearby.

    When police asked the victim if Green was one of the men who raped her, she told officers no. About a week later, Green was arrested for stealing a car. The next thing he knew he was in a police lineup, and identified by the victim as one of the rapists.

    "I preached to those dudes in prison, just like I preach to these youngsters to stay out of the way (of trouble)," he said. "Because the system is not going to play with you."

    Sharing the stories of their wrongful conviction can help exonerees to heal, and can offer some structure, said Karen Wolff, a social worker with the Innocence Project.

    "All cases are unique, and that's not always the solution for everybody," Wolff said.

    Green also has a lot to teach, said Michea Carter, director of theater arts at Westbury High School, who invited Green to speak after her students performed a play about exonerated inmates earlier this month.

    "You need someone like Michael to come in and show them this is real," Carter said.

    During a question and answer period that evening, students asked Green everything from what prison life was like to how he felt being convicted of a crime he did not commit.
    It's because of stories like this that I oppose the death penalty. As more and more stories come out where hundreds if not thousands of people are freed after decades of jail, it's only a matter of time before one of those stories ends up with the murder of an innocent person payed for by our taxes.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #2
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,490

    Re: US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale

    He is one of 265 people in the United States who have been exonerated since 1989 as a result of the development of DNA testing of key evidence, according to the Innocence Project.
    That means that DNA evidence can be used to remove doubt of someone's innocence and send them to the death chamber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale - Yahoo! News



    It's because of stories like this that I oppose the death penalty. As more and more stories come out where hundreds if not thousands of people are freed after decades of jail, it's only a matter of time before one of those stories ends up with the murder of an innocent person payed for by our taxes.
    See folks, some people don't believe in progress. 27 years ago, what Police used for solving cases is EXACTLY how they are today, same rules, laws, science, equipment and training.

    So nothing has changed and nothing has gotten better.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #4
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale - Yahoo! News



    It's because of stories like this that I oppose the death penalty. As more and more stories come out where hundreds if not thousands of people are freed after decades of jail, it's only a matter of time before one of those stories ends up with the murder of an innocent person payed for by our taxes.
    Death penalty opponents often say that stuff about hundreds if not thousands are found innocent. I can't find any corroboration of numbers that high. You may be talking about convicts in general, but if the argument is whether the death penalty is a bad idea, we should confine the discussion to convicted murders.

    This site lists 138 such cases going back to 1973. DNA evidence was key in only a fraction of those, though granted it is a relatively new means of establishing innocence.

    Innocence: List of Those Freed From Death Row | Death Penalty Information Center

    But what about those cases in which there is no question of guilt whatsoever? The murderers of James Byrd, for example. They admitted guilt and asked for the death penalty.
    Last edited by LuckyDan; 01-24-11 at 08:43 PM.

  5. #5
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale - Yahoo! News



    It's because of stories like this that I oppose the death penalty. As more and more stories come out where hundreds if not thousands of people are freed after decades of jail, it's only a matter of time before one of those stories ends up with the murder of an innocent person payed for by our taxes.
    That's not very likely. When guilt or innocence is reduced to scientific terms, as in court records and legal documents, the human element tends to get lost. It is only after a person is emancipated by science and protocol that the human element can be returned to their story, in the form of a interview or other creative non-fiction.

    People who have been executed aren't emancipated by science; the state doesn't invest resources into whether a person might or might not be guilty after they are dead.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 01-24-11 at 08:46 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  6. #6
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,224

    Re: US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale

    Texas seems to have done with Claude Jones in the year 2000.

    Texas executes innocent man - National Anti-establishment | Examiner.com
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: US man wrongfully jailed shares cautionary tale

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Death penalty opponents often say that stuff about hundreds if not thousands are found innocent I can't find any corroboration of numbers that high. You may be talking about convicts in general, but if the argument is whether the death penalty is a bad idea, we should confine the discussion to convicted murders.

    This site lists 138 such cases going back to 1973. DNA evidence was key in only a fraction of those, though granted it is a relatively new means of establishing innocence.

    Innocence: List of Those Freed From Death Row | Death Penalty Information Center
    This is called a strawman. My argument was regarding the hundreds (if not thousands) who have been exonorated whether or not they're in death row.

    But what about those cases in which there is no question of guilt whatsoever? The murderers of James Byrd, for example. They admitted guilt and asked for the death penalty.
    What about them?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •