Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 133

Thread: Obama to Push for New Spending as GOP Demands Deep Budget Cuts

  1. #61
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obama to Push for New Spending as GOP Demands Deep Budget Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Centrist View Post
    Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat. Being upfront and honest about the big government, big spending, unconstitutional policies of GWB shows exactly what the neo-Republican party is all about and hopefully enlightens people to vote for independents, classical liberals like Ron Paul and moderate Democrats like Clinton was. Pretending that GWB was a small government, fiscally conservative classical Republican will do nothing but insure others like him will get votes in future elections on the false premise that they are voting for a conservative.
    Johnny, I assume you didn't vote for Bush in 2000 or 2004 and based upon your comments about fiscal responsibility, I doubt that you voted for Gore or Kerry so who did you vote for? I have no problem with a protest vote however there comes a time when that protest vote gives us a less than desireable candidate. Can you image a Gore or Kerry Presidency because of third party support talkng votes away from a Republican? Think!

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-26-11 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    259

    Re: Obama to Push for New Spending as GOP Demands Deep Budget Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I can find plenty here to agree with you on, Johnny. I'm sure surprised, though, that you refer to Ron Paul as a liberal...
    Classic liberal. The old form of liberalism. Our founding fathers were liberals. The were heavily influenced by the ideas of John Locke who is called the "Father of liberalism". The idea that men had a say in their government, liberties and individual rights, was definitely liberal, hence another form of the word "liberate". The conservatives back then were the loyalist, who wanted to "conserve" society the way it was and stay loyal to the British crown. Why free market economics is called "conservative" these days is beyond me. Very far left Democratic economic policies are borderline socialism yet they are called "liberal" economic policies. How does "liberate" and "socialism" go together?

    Ron Paul has the most "conservative" voting record of any politician since 1937 and the Republican voters shun him and instead vote for big government Republicans simply because he against preemptive wars.

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Obama to Push for New Spending as GOP Demands Deep Budget Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Why? because it serves no purpose now two years later as nothing can be done to change the past. You and I have a different opinion of what happened in the past and unfortunately for you I have the data and facdts on my side. Apparently you don't see the hyprocisy of blaming Bush for all the problems then keeping most of his policies and adding more to them.

    You have made the claim that I gave Bush a pass for the deficits and debt. I reject that and correctly pointed out that Bush didn't create the debt alone and had a lot of help, over two trillion in 2007-2008 with a Democrat Congress. My question is why do you ignore the Congressional assistance in creating that debt? When Bush left office the debt was 10.6 trillion and it is 14 trillion today. You don't have a problem with that? Wasn't Obama part of that Congress that approved Bush spending? Please name for me the spending that Bush did that wasn't supported by Obama?

    Randel, I bow to your superior intelligence but you really need to come down to my level and be more specific in asking your questions. I thought I had answered your direct questions but apparently not, my apology. You will just have to dumb them down for my benefit.
    there is no need to dumb the questions down, i think your bright enough to answer them, the thing is, you have to choose to answer them, and not divert and spin. i voted for bush, twice....i voted for obama...i think we both agree that the budget and debt/deficit is something that we definitely need to get under control. my thing is, i find it a bit hypocritical to sit and beyatch about one sides spending, claiming it is on 'steroids', and yet then to claim that all the spending on the republican side is 'necessary', 'served a purpose', was needed. both have ran the debt/deficit up. conservatives can't honestly claim that their 'deficit spending' is better than liberal 'deficit spending'....it is what it is, spending money we don't have.

  4. #64
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Obama to Push for New Spending as GOP Demands Deep Budget Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Infrastructure, research and education are investments. We are able to sustain our current lifestyle because people who came before us spent resources in those areas we use today. That said, we are running a hideous deficit as is. Ideally, we would cut the huge amount of bloat that we feed off today in return for putting money into the future. Realistically, we can choose between raising the deficit or sacrificing the long term. Politics is a devil's bargain.
    the more the federal government "invests" in education, the worse our education system gets. if we are going to "invest" in education at all it needs to be in the form of block grants; but our Centralizer-in-Chief will never do that.

    not having our children come into the world with the equivalent of a mortgage already hanging over their heads is an investment, too. the debt is probably the #1 threat to America's long-term future right now.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obama to Push for New Spending as GOP Demands Deep Budget Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    there is no need to dumb the questions down, i think your bright enough to answer them, the thing is, you have to choose to answer them, and not divert and spin. i voted for bush, twice....i voted for obama...i think we both agree that the budget and debt/deficit is something that we definitely need to get under control. my thing is, i find it a bit hypocritical to sit and beyatch about one sides spending, claiming it is on 'steroids', and yet then to claim that all the spending on the republican side is 'necessary', 'served a purpose', was needed. both have ran the debt/deficit up. conservatives can't honestly claim that their 'deficit spending' is better than liberal 'deficit spending'....it is what it is, spending money we don't have.
    Interesting post, please show me where I ever said that "all the spending on the Republican side is necessary, served a purpose, and was needed?" What would you call it when the last Bush budget was 3 trillion dollars and the first Obama budget was 3.6 trillion if not putting Bush spending on steroids?

    Here are the facts

    Reagan Debt 1.7 trillion in 8 years
    Clinton debt 1.3 trillion in 8 years
    GW Bush debt 4.9 trillion in 8 years
    Obama debt 3.5 trillion in 2 years.

    Blaming Bush for the Obama spending is partisan and wrong yet many here continue to do that. Deficit spending is deficit spending. Most of that deficit spending comes from entitlements, not discretionary spending. Many here blame the wars or everything else other than the real problem and that is liberal social engineering that takes on personal responsibility issues with the sole purpose of buying votes. It isn't the Government's role to protect people for poor personal choices yet have you ever heard Obama talk about taking personal responsibility for anything?

  6. #66
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,322
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama to Push for New Spending as GOP Demands Deep Budget Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Interesting post, please show me where I ever said that "all the spending on the Republican side is necessary, served a purpose, and was needed?" What would you call it when the last Bush budget was 3 trillion dollars and the first Obama budget was 3.6 trillion if not putting Bush spending on steroids?

    Here are the facts

    Reagan Debt 1.7 trillion in 8 years
    Clinton debt 1.3 trillion in 8 years
    GW Bush debt 4.9 trillion in 8 years
    Obama debt 3.5 trillion in 2 years.

    Blaming Bush for the Obama spending is partisan and wrong yet many here continue to do that. Deficit spending is deficit spending. Most of that deficit spending comes from entitlements, not discretionary spending. Many here blame the wars or everything else other than the real problem and that is liberal social engineering that takes on personal responsibility issues with the sole purpose of buying votes. It isn't the Government's role to protect people for poor personal choices yet have you ever heard Obama talk about taking personal responsibility for anything?
    Yep, you're not partisan at all...

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Obama to Push for New Spending as GOP Demands Deep Budget Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Interesting post, please show me where I ever said that "all the spending on the Republican side is necessary, served a purpose, and was needed?" What would you call it when the last Bush budget was 3 trillion dollars and the first Obama budget was 3.6 trillion if not putting Bush spending on steroids?

    Here are the facts

    Reagan Debt 1.7 trillion in 8 years
    Clinton debt 1.3 trillion in 8 years
    GW Bush debt 4.9 trillion in 8 years
    Obama debt 3.5 trillion in 2 years.

    Blaming Bush for the Obama spending is partisan and wrong yet many here continue to do that. Deficit spending is deficit spending. Most of that deficit spending comes from entitlements, not discretionary spending. Many here blame the wars or everything else other than the real problem and that is liberal social engineering that takes on personal responsibility issues with the sole purpose of buying votes. It isn't the Government's role to protect people for poor personal choices yet have you ever heard Obama talk about taking personal responsibility for anything?
    'deficit spending is deficit spending'....on that, we agree, and it doesnt matter who does it. my point is, you seem to 'defend' republican/bush era deficit spending by using a child's argument 'well, he(obama) did it toooo!!!, and he spend more!!' as if it justifies spending done in the bush era...again, deficit spending is deficit spending, regardless of who does it. both sides are guilty, both sides are responsible...to sit silent while it is 'your side' is hypocritical.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obama to Push for New Spending as GOP Demands Deep Budget Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Yep, you're not partisan at all...
    Who said I wasn't partisan, I am a conservative and proud of it. What does posting actual data and facts have to do with being partisan. Facts aren't partisan, they are accurate assessment of what happened. I don't expect a Canadian to understand the U.S. budget but go to the following site and get educated on where the spending lies and what part of that spending is entitlement which is social engineering

    U.S. Treasury

    Current Report: Combined Statement of Receipts, Outlays, and Balances of the United States Government (Combined Statement): Publications & Guidance: Financial Management Service

  9. #69
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obama to Push for New Spending as GOP Demands Deep Budget Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    'deficit spending is deficit spending'....on that, we agree, and it doesnt matter who does it. my point is, you seem to 'defend' republican/bush era deficit spending by using a child's argument 'well, he(obama) did it toooo!!!, and he spend more!!' as if it justifies spending done in the bush era...again, deficit spending is deficit spending, regardless of who does it. both sides are guilty, both sides are responsible...to sit silent while it is 'your side' is hypocritical.
    What I accurately pointed out is that no President creates debt alone as all spending has to be approved by Congress. Further my point is that I have stated that Bush and Congress spent too much but Obama and Congress are spending more, in the first two years 600 billion more. Why don't you tell me who "my side" is? Given the choice I have the Republican side is at least closer to being "my side" because it is the only side that promotes private industry and really doesn't care how much money you or someone else makes. There is only "one side" that seems to worry more about how much someone else pays in taxes vs. how those tax dollars are spent.

    Too much money was spent during the Bush years although Bush did at least try to address entitlement spending but was rejected by Congress, both RINO's and Democrats. So who is sitting silent? What can we do about the Bush spending now?

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-26-11 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    259

    Re: Obama to Push for New Spending as GOP Demands Deep Budget Cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What I accurately pointed out is that no President creates debt alone as all spending has to be approved by Congress. Further my point is that I have stated that Bush and Congress spent too much but Obama and Congress are spending more, in the first two years 600 billion more. Why don't you tell me who "my side" is? Given the choice I have the Republican side is at least closer to being "my side" because it is the only side that promotes private industry and really doesn't care how much money you or someone else makes. There is only "one side" that seems to worry more about how much someone else pays in taxes vs. how those tax dollars are spent.

    Too much money was spent during the Bush years although Bush did at least try to address entitlement spending but was rejected by Congress, both RINO's and Democrats. So who is sitting silent? What can we do about the Bush spending now?
    That's probably the most bipartisan post you've ever written on this forum.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •