Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 146

Thread: Outspoken Tucson sheriff faces recall bid

  1. #121
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Outspoken Tucson sheriff faces recall bid

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And you know this because you have travelled into the future and witnessed this? And what if he does claim he was pushed over the edge by right wing vitriol? Would that meet the standards of insanity in the state of Arizona?
    What if that teacher comes out and says she had a bag of carrots in the classroom because she listens to Michelle Obama? Will that be the First Lady's fault? Does Michelle Obama have the blood of a 2yr olds on her hands?
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  2. #122
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,619

    Re: Outspoken Tucson sheriff faces recall bid

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It just might and he might walk on account of it. I don't think anybody wants to see that happen.

    Not to mention, it could open the door for another fruitcake to shoot a congress critter and claim the same thing.
    perhaps you should read this as Arizona has an extremely tight and restrictive law on these matters that has been upheld by the Supreme Court of the USA

    Clark v. Arizona
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Clark v. Arizona

    Supreme Court of the United States
    Argued April 19, 2006
    Decided June 29, 2006
    Full case name Eric Michael Clark v. State of Arizona
    Docket nos. 05-5966
    Citations 548 U.S. 735 (more)
    126 S.Ct. 2709; 2006 U.S. LEXIS 5184; 2006 WL 1764372
    Prior history Defendant convicted, Coconino County Superior Court, Sept. 3, 2003; affirmed, Ariz. Ct. App., Jan. 25, 2005; review denied, Ariz., May 25, 2005; cert. granted, 126 S. Ct. 797 (2005)
    Holding
    Due process does not prohibit Arizona's use of an insanity test stated solely in terms of the capacity to tell whether an act charged as a crime was right or wrong. The state could also constitutionally limit a defendant's evidence of mental defect to only what is relevant to that insanity test, even when mens rea is an element of the charged crime. Arizona Court of Appeals affirmed.
    Court membership
    Chief Justice
    John G. Roberts
    Associate Justices
    John P. Stevens · Antonin Scalia
    Anthony Kennedy · David Souter
    Clarence Thomas · Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    Stephen Breyer · Samuel Alito
    Case opinions
    Majority Souter, joined by Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, Alito; Breyer except parts III-B, III-C, and ultimate disposition
    Concur/dissent Breyer
    Dissent Kennedy, joined by Stevens, Ginsburg
    Laws applied
    U.S. Const. amend. XIV; Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 13-502(A)
    Clark v. Arizona, 548 U.S. 735 (2006), was a case decided by the Supreme Court of the United States, in which the Court upheld the constitutionality of the insanity defense used by the State of Arizona. The ruling affirmed the murder conviction of a man with paranoid schizophrenia, for the killing of a police officer. The man had argued that his inability to understand the nature of his acts at the time they were committed should be a sufficient basis for showing he lacked the requisite mental state required as an element of the charged crime. The Court upheld Arizona's restriction of admissible mental health evidence only to the issue of insanity. Arizona does not allow mental health evidence to show that the defendant did not possess the required mental intent level necessary to satisfy an element of the crime. The evidence is only admissible if used to show that the defendant was insane at the time of the crime's commission. In this case, the defendant knew right from wrong so he could not qualify under Arizona's insanity defense.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #123
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Outspoken Tucson sheriff faces recall bid

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    perhaps you should read this as Arizona has an extremely tight and restrictive law on these matters that has been upheld by the Supreme Court of the USA

    Clark v. Arizona
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ok. What if Loughner's attorney convinces the jury--you know what a jury is, right?--that Loughner didn't act on his own volition and they let him walk? Wouldn't be the first time a killer got off scot free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,619

    Re: Outspoken Tucson sheriff faces recall bid

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ok. What if Loughner's attorney convinces the jury--you know what a jury is, right?--that Loughner didn't act on his own volition and they let him walk? Wouldn't be the first time a killer got off scot free.
    duh... gosh jee wilikers... juby??? sorry ... jury???? landsakesallmighttojesus... you go round throwing out these big words and spect me to understnad em?

    Did you read the law in Arizona?
    Did you understand it?
    Did you even bother to think how it may apply in this case?
    Last edited by haymarket; 01-22-11 at 06:35 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #125
    Holy Crap!
    Red Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, USA
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,429

    Re: Outspoken Tucson sheriff faces recall bid

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    He's a liberal democrat. Need I say more?
    Do they ever take blame for anything?
    He was using smoke and mirrors. Probably hoping against hope it turned out to be a right-winger.
    I do believe that this thing about blaming the RIGHT is really going to hurt Obama in 2012.

    The reason that the Left is mad about everything is because Obama's policies haven't worked and they lost Congress.

    They are as mad as hornets. AND... Obama is little by little moving to the center. Poor orphans.!!!

  6. #126
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Outspoken Tucson sheriff faces recall bid

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I never made any claims, just defending the sheriffs right to the same free speech that your favorite pundits get paid millions for.......
    And apparently, in Arizona, the voters have the right to recall their elected officials when they don't like the way they are being represented...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #127
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Outspoken Tucson sheriff faces recall bid

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    not stupid, ignorant perhaps....ignorance being the lack of knowledge concerning who you listen to. The way you defend them, I assumed you listen to them, sorry...
    How is what the sheriff did a political attack? Is he up for election? I think he said what is on a lot of people's minds, that the heated rhetoric is too much. If pundits want to smear politicians with the truth, I am all for it. But when you start expanding past truth, the only reputation smeared is their own. That is why I despise pundits, that can't help themselves, they can't stick with just the facts, ma'am.....
    and then there are the many, many listeners who so willingly suspend disbelief because it is what they WANT to hear....
    You say facts. So examine the facts. Some self important little prick obsessed about a congresswoman. Didnt need any help...didnt need any poking or prodding. Hatched some plan to show the world how relevant he was. Shot a congressman and 15 others. End facts. Then along comes Barney Fife...and instead of giving facts or making statements relevant to the case at hand spends the next week spouting his own opinion about hate speech and violent rhetoric and the role it 'must' have played in all this. End fact. Thats it. There is nothing more. People that speculate based on their own biases are morons. People that use the death of others to promote their own biases are scumbags.

  8. #128
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: Outspoken Tucson sheriff faces recall bid

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    We have more than one sheriff, we also have Sheriff Joe.....
    Arizona isn't near the embarrassment that Washington, D. C. is....

    and you should talk, you gave us LBJ the liar, no tax increase Bush, and tax cut while fighting a war Bush.....
    Touché on the TX presidents. However, I consider Sheriff Joe to be just another embarrassment for ya'll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  9. #129
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Outspoken Tucson sheriff faces recall bid

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Touché on the TX presidents. However, I consider Sheriff Joe to be just another embarrassment for ya'll.
    This should be expected from an open borders guy like yourself...


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #130
    Holy Crap!
    Red Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, USA
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,429

    Re: Outspoken Tucson sheriff faces recall bid

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Touché on the TX presidents. However, I consider Sheriff Joe to be just another embarrassment for ya'll.
    Sheriff Joe Arpaio enforces the law and he refuses to be a puppet for no one.
    Catch me if you can.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •