Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: PROMISES, PROMISES: Scrutiny of Afghan no-bid deal [edited]

  1. #11
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Scrutiny of Afghan no-bid deal [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    They're both hypocrites. It's a shame you don't care about Bush, because it's this kind of attitude that allows former heads of state to go unpunished for their crimes. You don't want to see Bush prosecuted because he's a right-winger like you. Obama doesn't want to see Bush prosecuted because it would set the precedent for his own prosecution after he leaves office. What it adds up to is zero accountability.

    All criminals should be held accountable. How you can just ignore Bush's self-confessed crimes while you rail against Obama's is beyond me.
    Again, you're missing the point. I think most conservatives don't want Bush OR Obama to be prosecuted for what they're doing, because they think that both of them are pursuing the correct foreign policy on this front.

    It used to be that conservatives and liberals fought about this - the difference now is that the conservatives won.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #12
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Scrutiny of Afghan no-bid deal [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    And the equally hypocritical mantra from the Republicans is: "Do as you say, not as Bush did."
    1. Who said I was a Republican?
    2. This thread isn't about President Bush, a man whom I have criticized on numerous occasions...

    thanks for playing
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #13
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Scrutiny of Afghan no-bid deal [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    1. Who said I was a Republican?
    Nobody did, certainly not me. Why are you implying that I did? You jump to conclusions.

    I am correct, though, about the Republican mantra, even though you yourself aren't a Republican.


    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    2. This thread isn't about President Bush, a man whom I have criticized on numerous occasions...

    thanks for playing
    I've already made my points about Bush. You cannot castigate Obama for following in Bush's footsteps and yet hold Bush innocent. If anything Bush should be the focus of criticism, since Obama, as sitting head of state, is immune from prosecution while in office, in accordance with international law.

    Thus both of your points are mistaken.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 01-22-11 at 09:00 PM.

  4. #14
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Scrutiny of Afghan no-bid deal [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    They're both hypocrites. It's a shame you don't care about Bush, because it's this kind of attitude that allows former heads of state to go unpunished for their crimes. You don't want to see Bush prosecuted because he's a right-winger like you. Obama doesn't want to see Bush prosecuted because it would set the precedent for his own prosecution after he leaves office. What it adds up to is zero accountability.

    All criminals should be held accountable. How you can just ignore Bush's self-confessed crimes while you rail against Obama's is beyond me.
    Prosecuted for WHAT exactly? What makes President George W. Bush a criminal? And if he is, why wouldn't President Barack Hussein Obamam Jr. also be one?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #15
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Scrutiny of Afghan no-bid deal [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post

    I've already made my points about Bush. You cannot castigate Obama for following in Bush's footsteps and yet hold Bush innocent. If anything Bush should be the focus of criticism, since Obama, as sitting head of seat, is immune from prosecution while in office, in accordance with international law.

    Thus both of your points are mistaken.
    I can castigate Barack Obama for condemning Bush (as did many Democrats and some Republicans) for no-bid contracts and then go ahead and allow it to be done during his administration. THAT is what makes him a hypocrite.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  6. #16
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Scrutiny of Afghan no-bid deal [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I can castigate Barack Obama for condemning Bush (as did many Democrats and some Republicans) for no-bid contracts and then go ahead and allow it to be done during his administration. THAT is what makes him a hypocrite.
    It is likewise hypocritical to castigate Obama for a crime yet refuse to castigate Bush for the same crime, no?

  7. #17
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Scrutiny of Afghan no-bid deal [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Prosecuted for WHAT exactly? What makes President George W. Bush a criminal? And if he is, why wouldn't President Barack Hussein Obamam Jr. also be one?
    Actually, it goes as far back as Clinton, who was the first president to order extraordinary renditions of prisoners to countries where they were known to torture. Bush is merely the worst offender. Obama is culpable for his continuance of the abuses from the Bush years. I don't see what's so hard to understand about all that.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 01-22-11 at 09:02 PM.

  8. #18
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: PROMISES, PROMISES: Scrutiny of Afghan no-bid deal [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Actually, it goes as far back as Clinton, who was the first president to order extraordinary renditions of prisoners to countries where they were known to torture. Bush is merely the worst offender. Obama is culpable for his continuance of the abuses from the Bush years. I don't see what's so hard to understand about all that.
    I haven't even addressed renditions... I was referring to no-bid contracts, which last I knew, while potentially corrupt, was not criminal...

    I don't know enough about the renditions to comment on their legality...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •