Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 184

Thread: "Don't ask, don't tell" cost tops $50,000 per expulsion, study finds

  1. #11
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" cost tops $50,000 per expulsion, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He's complaining about how much it costs to discharge a soldier. Right?
    He's complaining about the exorbitant costs associated with discharging a soldier simply because he/she was homosexual. He didn't show any opinion on the general cost of discharging soldiers.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  2. #12
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" cost tops $50,000 per expulsion, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    Some would probably say the homosexuals should be fined for it.
    at least they should lose future VA benefits for outing themselves after getting useful job skill training....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #13
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" cost tops $50,000 per expulsion, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you saying we should stop discharging everyone that is unfit for service?
    A gay person isn't unfit for service.
    I use a lot of satire and sarcasm so keep that in mind when reading my posts.

  4. #14
    Student Iron River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-16-17 @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    254

    Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" cost tops $50,000 per expulsion, study finds

    First, do you want to back up your claim that these soldiers only claim to be gay so that they could get out under DADT? No, thats alright, I know you can't. And as much as it happens in the military, its an exception not a rule.

    Second, are you seriously insulting gay/lesbian men and women in uniform as being sub-par translators???

    Lastly, every soldier counts.

    Seems to me that you could have looked at what I said –“they may have done that to get out.” – before you asked me to back up a statement that I didn’t make.

    I believe that I said that a boy in a dress wouldn't get much interpreting done in the Middle East.

    I don’t know where you served but in the Air Force in the bomb dump about 15% of our guys didn’t count for much.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" cost tops $50,000 per expulsion, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron River View Post
    So, someone feels that an openly homosexual would be a great interpreter in Afghanistan??
    No I would guess that these Arabic speaking boys would rather prove that they were homosexual than go to the Middle East. I also expect that these arabic speakers have much better jobs in the private sector and arenít being shot at.

    Since the military canít ask the service members must have told and they may have done that to get out. They were released not removed.

    That must be half of the people we had with such qualifications. ď7Ē that will cost us????
    Firstly, there's no 'out-forever' policy. A guy can be openly gay to someone people, and not to others. Its called lying or much more commonly its just a simple matter of not telling them. I'm sure a gay Arabic interpreter isn't going to say "Hello, how are you? By the way I'm gay" as the first thing out of his mouth.

    Secondly, while the military cannot ask if you are caught by someone or confide in someone who tells the military, you can see be booted out.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" cost tops $50,000 per expulsion, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron River View Post
    Seems to me that you could have looked at what I said –“they may have done that to get out.” – before you asked me to back up a statement that I didn’t make.
    I believe that I said that a boy in a dress wouldn't get much interpreting done in the Middle East.
    I don’t know where you served but in the Air Force in the bomb dump about 15% of our guys didn’t count for much.
    No one dresses like this over there or anything



    But that point is beside the bigger question of why you think a gay servicemen would be walking around in any dress to begin with.

  7. #17
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" cost tops $50,000 per expulsion, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron River View Post
    I believe that I said that a boy in a dress wouldn't get much interpreting done in the Middle East.

    I don’t know where you served but in the Air Force in the bomb dump about 15% of our guys didn’t count for much.
    Because gay's are excluded from military dress right? And they are flamboyantly gay in a freaking war zone? You keep telling yourself that.

    The difference between where you worked and where we were previously not allowing gays to work is the people in the war zone don't always speak english, and if we even lose 1 translator to DADT, thats too many. Your argument that these specialists are expendable/not needed is full of holes.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  8. #18
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,046

    Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" cost tops $50,000 per expulsion, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He's complaining about how much it costs to discharge a soldier. Right?
    No. He's complaining about how much money was wasted on a stupid policy.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #19
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" cost tops $50,000 per expulsion, study finds

    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #20
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" cost tops $50,000 per expulsion, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron River View Post
    Seems to me that you could have looked at what I said –“they may have done that to get out.” – before you asked me to back up a statement that I didn’t make.

    I believe that I said that a boy in a dress wouldn't get much interpreting done in the Middle East.

    I don’t know where you served but in the Air Force in the bomb dump about 15% of our guys didn’t count for much.
    Since no one in the military will be in a dress, boy or girl, gay or straight, in the ME doing anything, because they will all be in uniform, then your point is ridiculous.

    Plus, most homosexuals are not transgendered or crossdressers. And, there are a lot more heterosexual "boys in dresses" than many people would care to think about, even in the military. In fact, I have found forums for military crossdressers, many on those on these forums are straight guys.

    Also, there hasn't actually been any discharges that I know of for a military member crossdressing, although it is certainly possible that someone was turned in as "gay" for being a crossdresser, whether they were homosexual or not. Crossdressing does not indicate a person's sexuality. And the ban was on homosexuality. Crossdressers are just not allowed to do so on military property or at military functions.

    So your point means little unless you can prove that those who got out under DADT were all or mostly crossdressers.

    And, it has been my experience that most of those who are truly homosexual are not being put out because they signed paperwork that they were gay. Many of them were "found out" because of something they did or something that someone else saw on a computer or in a letter or in public that would not have gotten two looks had it been a heterosexual in the same situation. Some of those that actually are homosexual and signed paperwork to get out should have just waited out their enlistment, but I can certainly understand why they would choose their family's wellbeing over their commitment to an organization who discriminates against them because of the sex of the person that they have committed to. I knew a lesbian who signed the paperwork because she was offered a job where the company was willing to recognize her partner as her spouse and give them full benefits as such, along with more money than she made in the Navy. It was a limited offer. Many heterosexuals in the military cannot understand such a choice because the military doesn't discriminate against their choice of spouse.

    Now, there are some heterosexuals who have signed the paperwork to get out of the military under DADT as well. Many did so because they simply couldn't handle the pressure or didn't want to go on a deployment, but they also didn't want an OTH discharge.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •