Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 103

Thread: Arlington Man Loses Gun License Due To Blog About Tucson Shooting

  1. #51
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Arlington Man Loses Gun License Due To Blog About Tucson Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    If a neighbor had a pit bull that had shown aggressiveness against humans that got loose from their yard and ripped your child apart.

    Would you say the dog was totally at fault and owner shouldn't have no guilt?
    Apples and oranges, my man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #52
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Arlington Man Loses Gun License Due To Blog About Tucson Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    There was plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest he was mentally ill. Ultimately, if he was, he never got treatment for it.
    The hear-say of people who are not trained shrinks? You want to deny people their constitutional rights based on hear-say?

    Responsibility in this case probably lies with the parents and those close to him.
    Responsibility lies with the murderer.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #53
    Student Zyroh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-11 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    237

    Re: Arlington Man Loses Gun License Due To Blog About Tucson Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I really want to see if anyone is going to defend this. My bet is that nobody in his right mind will.
    i won't defend what he said, but i'll defend his right to trial. he has no record, he's not being charged with anything. convict him of something, then take action, supposed to be the way in this country.
    Democracy is two wolves and sheep voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep willing to contest the vote.

  4. #54
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Arlington Man Loses Gun License Due To Blog About Tucson Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    If a neighbor had a pit bull that had shown aggressiveness against humans that got loose from their yard and ripped your child apart.

    Would you say the dog was totally at fault and owner shouldn't have no guilt?
    A dog is property and the dog would be put down with no trial.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #55
    Student Zyroh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-11 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    237

    Re: Arlington Man Loses Gun License Due To Blog About Tucson Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    The simple answers, I personally believe rights come with responsibilities. The First Amendment protects free speech to a certain degree, but it is not unlimited (classic example yelling fire in a theater). Likewise, gun ownership is also a right that comes with responsibilities.
    this is why yelling fire in a theater shouldn't be punishable, makes a good reason to ban any speech.
    Democracy is two wolves and sheep voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep willing to contest the vote.

  6. #56
    Advisor Plato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here be Dragons
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    317

    Re: Arlington Man Loses Gun License Due To Blog About Tucson Shooting

    apdst

    I was referring to a statement of principle used to defend this guy which rested on the fact that he had broken no laws. I used the Loughner case to suggest that perhaps this was not a good guideline as Loughner had broken no laws. It was not a complicated argument. It shouldn't be too difficult to follow. It was not a statement that the two cases were identical in every way, nor even similar in most, just that they stood comparison when it came to the fact that they had broken no laws. You have a choice. You can deal with my argument or you can misrepresent it. You choose to misrepresent it.
    Last edited by Plato; 01-21-11 at 11:27 PM.
    There is a way to gain the whole world. It is to gain the people, and having gained them, one gains the whole world. There is a way to gain the people. Gain their hearts and minds and then you gain them. Mencius

  7. #57
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: Arlington Man Loses Gun License Due To Blog About Tucson Shooting

    This guy has rights protectd by the constitution but he should not be calling for murdering politicians. Now if he had said that we need to slap them around and knock some sense into them I'd be down with that.

  8. #58
    Advisor Plato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here be Dragons
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    317

    Re: Arlington Man Loses Gun License Due To Blog About Tucson Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I realize that this is off topic but what evidence was there that Loughner was mentally ill? Did he go to a certified quack to be examined? You want gunshops, walmarts and other stores to take part in denying people their constitutional rights based on hear say? This is a man who had planned ahead. Those unconstitutional waiting periods, unconstitutional licenses and any other unconstitutional laws would have not stopped Loughner. So yes Loughner should have been able to buy a gun. Are you suggesting that the federal government have a database of hear-say made by people with no degrees what so ever in the mental health field in order to block other people from owning fire-arms?



    Yes there is a poll
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...e-buy-gun.html
    I mean why don't you stand for election on the basis that there should be no restriction on unstable or mentally ill people having the right to buy and carry guns?

    Your position is clear though. Thank you. You do not believe that behaviour which demonstrates instability or a lack of normal self-control in personal behaviour be taken into account by the authorities when they decide whether to issue a license. As long as such behaviour is not criminal.

    This is a logical position for a libertarian to take. Why for example should the State have the right to restrict anyone else's right unless they have been convicted of a crime by a jury of their peers?

    The problem is that people like Loughner, who were judged too unstable to join the army, are therefore permitted to carry guns, and in the state of Arizona, to conceal this. Libertarians consider dead nine year old girls a price worth paying for this "freedom".

    Other regard people who demonstrate unstable or threatening behaviour, such as this Arlington jerk, to be at least worth investigating and checking out before letting him loose in the land with a lethal weapon.

    It's a question of judgement. Of course all of us who live in countries which have proper control over those who can carry guns are struggling under the yoke of tyranny. That's the clincher I suppose.
    Last edited by Plato; 01-21-11 at 11:28 PM.
    There is a way to gain the whole world. It is to gain the people, and having gained them, one gains the whole world. There is a way to gain the people. Gain their hearts and minds and then you gain them. Mencius

  9. #59
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: Arlington Man Loses Gun License Due To Blog About Tucson Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not all criminals have what it takes to kill someone. Death penalty, or not.
    true but making a death a freebie is rather stupid.

    ever read "The Onion Field"



  10. #60
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: Arlington Man Loses Gun License Due To Blog About Tucson Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    Well, I oppose the death penalty for serious crimes, not because I think it's inhumane, but because I think it's too good for these convicts. They should get life imprisonment with horrible food, 23 hours in a small cell, terrible treatment, brutal guards. These monsters shouldn't get a peaceful, painless, quick death. They deserve life in punishment.

    However, that's another story.

    My position about this is very simple.

    He may have not shot anybody, but nevertheless, he's dangerous. Nobody arrrested him. He just lost his gun license, not probably the end of life for someone. People even have and carry guns without licenses, like someone proudly said earlier in this thread. There's a good reason to take precautions. For example, if someone with a gun threatens to shoot another person, would you not arrest himn? Or at least revoke his gun license? Would you wait until he shot someone that you would arrest him or revoke his gun license? There's good reasons why people suspected of supporting terrorism are arrested, and why communists in SK are arrested. They might have not committed the crime, but they have much more possibility of doing so than regular people. We must not take chances.
    using your logic every criminal who merely threatens violence should get a life sentence



Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •