Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 340

Thread: Health Care Reform Repeal Passes House

  1. #311
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Health Care Reform Repeal Passes House

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Insurance rates have been historically out pacing inflation for a long time now. With or with out this bill it is a question of how much.
    And you really, really believe that insurance companies can provide all the goodies in this bill without dramatically higher rates to pay for them ????

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  2. #312
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Health Care Reform Repeal Passes House

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    And you really, really believe that insurance companies can provide all the goodies in this bill without dramatically higher rates to pay for them ????
    If everyone buys insurance. Yes. And univerisal payer system would be best, the public option next best, and the mandate third best.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #313
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Health Care Reform Repeal Passes House

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    maybe if you are so supportive of free healthcare you and the rest who believe in such nonsense should pony up the money
    I will gladly pay my share of the necessary taxes. And I will gladly vote for politicians who make you do the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude
    MYobjections are based on the constitution.
    No they aren't. Your objections are based on the fact that you personally don't want to pay for it. This is not an atomistic, Ayn Rand utopia; this is an actual society. You reap the benefits of being a part of it, and you'll damn well pay the costs of being a part of it, whether you like it or not. There are plenty of places you can live if you prefer the atomist approach to governance; I hear Somalia is lovely this time of year.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-20-11 at 04:51 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #314
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Health Care Reform Repeal Passes House

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    will be DOA in the senate.
    perhaps

    but repeal of the mandate sure aint

    and watch tester and nelson and nelson and mccaskill and manchin and a number of others squirm

    cuz if they don't come our way on the mandate, they're gonna be in big trouble in 12

    in places like montana and nebraska and florida and appalachia

    why did manchin put the bullet thru cap and trade, why did he vote against dream and dadt

    why did voters of missouri, 71%, go to the polls in august to kill the mandate

    why did arizona and oklahoma approve similar measures on nov 2

    what's gonna happen to big-picture obamacare if the young invulnerables are freed up from its constraints

    why has his support among youth voters plummeted some 50%

    seeya in 12, in nebraska, montana, north dakota...

  5. #315
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Health Care Reform Repeal Passes House

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    And you really, really believe that insurance companies can provide all the goodies in this bill without dramatically higher rates to pay for them ????
    This is a bit anecdotal, but I just received a letter from my insurance company about the changes that went into effect on January 1 of this year. My premium increased a little...but no more than it does in any other year.

    From a more macroeconomic perspective, the rates need not be dramatically higher as long as everyone is required to buy insurance. It's true that if preexisting conditions were banned AND there was no individual mandate, that the rates would spiral out of control until no one had insurance. But as long as those two components are coupled together, the individual mandate will put the brakes on spiraling costs.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #316
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Health Care Reform Repeal Passes House

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I will gladly pay my share of the necessary taxes. And I will gladly vote for politicians who make you do the same.



    No they aren't. Your objections are based on the fact that you personally don't want to pay for it. This is not an atomistic, Ayn Rand utopia; this is an actual society. You reap the benefits of being a part of it, and you'll damn well pay the costs of being a part of it, whether you like it or not.

    I don't reap any additional benefits by paying more taxes than you do. that is one of the great myths the left spews in order to justify their power grab that is funded by income redistribution. You pretend that you have altruistic reasons behind your welfare socialist dreams and you label those who oppose it as selfish. Yet, in reality people who feel as you do are no more altruistic than people on my side of the issue.

    so lets stop pretending that the politicians who push for this are "better people" than those who oppose it



  7. #317
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Health Care Reform Repeal Passes House

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    This is a bit anecdotal, but I just received a letter from my insurance company about the changes that went into effect on January 1 of this year. My premium increased a little...but no more than it does in any other year.

    From a more macroeconomic perspective, the rates need not be dramatically higher as long as everyone is required to buy insurance. It's true that if preexisting conditions were banned AND there was no individual mandate, that the rates would spiral out of control until no one had insurance. But as long as those two components are coupled together, the individual mandate will put the brakes on spiraling costs.
    the individual mandate will be stricken by the courts and with that, the whole bill will collapse



  8. #318
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Health Care Reform Repeal Passes House

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the individual mandate will be stricken by the courts and with that, the whole bill will collapse
    You are correct that it collapses. You can't have the things people want without a way to pay for it. It will be interesting to see how the courts rule.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #319
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Health Care Reform Repeal Passes House

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't reap any additional benefits by paying more taxes than you do. that is one of the great myths the left spews in order to justify their power grab that is funded by income redistribution. You pretend that you have altruistic reasons behind your welfare socialist dreams and you label those who oppose it as selfish. Yet, in reality people who feel as you do are no more altruistic than people on my side of the issue.
    My comments were not directed at all "people on your side of the issue." My comments were directed at people who constantly brag about their wealth while whining about how horrible it is that they have to pay taxes to pay for the leeching peons. If that still isn't clear enough who I'm talking about, I'd spell it out but I'd probably get infracted for personal attacks. So you can figure it out for yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude
    so lets stop pretending that the politicians who push for this are "better people" than those who oppose it
    I make no such claim. Politicians who push for it are, however, on the right side of the issue from a practical standpoint.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #320
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Health Care Reform Repeal Passes House

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the individual mandate will be stricken by the courts and with that, the whole bill will collapse
    Fail. If the individual mandate is stricken by the courts (which won't happen, but for the sake of argument suppose it does) and the rest of the bill is left intact, then the private insurance industry will collapse, not the health care reform law. And you know what will happen then. Immediate, acute demand for more government intervention to fill the void left by private enterprise. So if you support a relatively free market for health insurance, you'd better be praying that the courts don't overturn the individual mandate.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-20-11 at 05:02 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •