Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 312

Thread: Abortion Doctor Charged with Murder

  1. #301
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Abortion Doctor Charged with Murder

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Strawman.

    Viability.
    Not a straw man. I've seen the very argument Whovian was talking about.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  2. #302
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Abortion Doctor Charged with Murder

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I kept asking what this doc did that was so different from other abortion doctors. Your answers were basically only that he broke the law. So I ask, other than breaking the law what has this doc done that's so much more wrong than other abortion doctors?
    Your question has been answered twice already. The man murdered children who were born alive and breathing on their own. The majority of abortions happen at a point in the pregnancy when the fetus is nowhere near the point of viability. In my mind, what he did is much more wrong because he killed "persons" in the legal sense of the term.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  3. #303
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Abortion Doctor Charged with Murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Your question has been answered twice already.
    This is why I don't participate in the abortion forum usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #304
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Abortion Doctor Charged with Murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Your question has been answered twice already. The man murdered children who were born alive and breathing on their own. The majority of abortions happen at a point in the pregnancy when the fetus is nowhere near the point of viability. In my mind, what he did is much more wrong because he killed "persons" in the legal sense of the term.
    And, in my mind, what he did is not much different than what every other abortion doctor does. Your lines seem arbitrary, Arcana. On one hand you seem to argue viability but then say you're no longer a choicer after 12 weeks. So at 11 weeks it's not a baby, but at 13 weeks it is?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  5. #305
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Abortion Doctor Charged with Murder

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    And, in my mind, what he did is not much different than what every other abortion doctor does. Your lines seem arbitrary, Arcana. On one hand you seem to argue viability but then say you're no longer a choicer after 12 weeks. So at 11 weeks it's not a baby, but at 13 weeks it is?
    It's a "baby" from the moment of conception, if you want to go with simplistic terms. It's alive. It's a life. I'm certainly not the kind of pro-choice person who pretends we're not dealing with life termination when talking about abortion. The difference between strict "moment of conception pro-lifers" and someone like myself is that I don't place any value at all on the "life" of a first trimester fetus and I make no apologies for it. It may seem arbitrary to you, but the line has to be drawn somewhere in order to reach a compromise. Ideally, I would prefer that the limit be placed at 8 weeks, but I'm willing to go as far as 14 weeks if that will appease the more liberal pro-choicers.

    I've had this discussion countless times on here and there are scientific reasons for my "arbitrary lines". Most of them in regards to fetal brain development. I don't want to have this discussion again, suffice it to say that my limitations, even when they go as far as 14 weeks gestation, err on the side of caution. I'm perfectly at peace with my stance on abortion.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  6. #306
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Abortion Doctor Charged with Murder

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Besides, I don't believe every initially unwanted child grows up to be a murderer or a drain on society just as I don't think a "wanted" child from a good home can't wind up being those things.
    Good point. I grew up to be a; father, husband of some 30 years and a teacher. Of course, on the down side, some find me irritating. Maybe an abortion was called for after all.
    Last edited by Dutch; 01-21-11 at 01:05 PM.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  7. #307
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Abortion Doctor Charged with Murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    It's a "baby" from the moment of conception, if you want to go with simplistic terms. It's alive. It's a life. I'm certainly not the kind of pro-choice person who pretends we're not dealing with life termination when talking about abortion. The difference between strict "moment of conception pro-lifers" and someone like myself is that I don't place any value at all on the "life" of a first trimester fetus and I make no apologies for it. It may seem arbitrary to you, but the line has to be drawn somewhere in order to reach a compromise. Ideally, I would prefer that the limit be placed at 8 weeks, but I'm willing to go as far as 14 weeks if that will appease the more liberal pro-choicers.

    I've had this discussion countless times on here and there are scientific reasons for my "arbitrary lines". Most of them in regards to fetal brain development. I don't want to have this discussion again, suffice it to say that my limitations, even when they go as far as 14 weeks gestation, err on the side of caution. I'm perfectly at peace with my stance on abortion.
    I must say I find this quite refreshing. American liberals/leftists are never this honest.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  8. #308
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Abortion Doctor Charged with Murder

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    How is this a response to my questions?
    It seems pertinent to me. Perhaps this is just another of those cases were "americans" talk past each other.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  9. #309
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Abortion Doctor Charged with Murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I must say I find this quite refreshing. American liberals/leftists are never this honest.
    For the most part, both the left and the right have pretty much settled the issue herein Europe. Wherever abortion is legal, the limit is placed latest at 14 weeks. Again, the UK and Finland being the only exceptions. It's no longer the hot-button issue you all are stilld ealing with over there.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  10. #310
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Abortion Doctor Charged with Murder

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    How did liberals bring us to this? You realize that this guy broke the law right? Where did liberals say this was acceptable?
    The open season on abortions. This proliferation of abortion on demand. It's a substitute for birth control. Liberals supported it all 100%, even partial birth abortion was support by their fringe.

    Conservatives haven't support this ****.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •