Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 82

Thread: Mock Slave Auction Brings Some Spectators to Tears

  1. #71
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,452

    Re: Mock Slave Auction Brings Some Spectators to Tears

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    And what direction might that be?

    The point of this thread is slavery in American history. Either one acknowledges it or not. Many people still believe slavery was good for the nation. I believe it was bad, but regardless of my opinion on the matter slavery did happen in this country. I find nothing wrong with discussing the issue. We do need to be reminded of such things from time to time if for no other reason than to remind us of a dark and evil time in our nation's history so that we shall not repeat it. But to play it up or to ignore it is to dishonor all who came before us to move this country further toward "establishing a more perfect union".

    I'm all for inclusion, not exclusion. Where do you stand?
    The, "the founders were slave owners and racists and didn't care about abolishing slavery", argument was taking on water, fast. Kinda like this,



    so, you swoop in with the line about how southerners--as a whole--have been oppressing black for the past 900 years and it's bad and blah-blah-blah...

    That's the direction I'm talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #72
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Mock Slave Auction Brings Some Spectators to Tears

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Any docs to prove that that was his opinion?

    Look him up. He opposed unequal representation, and eventually, he opposed ratification of the constitution. And your quote of him was about the slave trade, not the practice of keeping slaves or representation.

    Remember: "The slave trade was a bone of contention for many, with some who supported slavery abhorring the slave trade." Constitutional Topic: Slavery - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net



    But, not all.
    Almost all.






    I gave you a list of people who owned slaves at the time of the 1787 convention.
    An incomplete list.

    Ok, I missed one.
    You didn't miss anything. Missing something would imply that you did some reasearch. You copied another persons research into delegates who were owners and operators of slave-worked pantations and passed it off as your own knowledge.

    you also misrepresented their work as being a comprehensive list of all of the delegates who were slave owners. That misrepresentation, as I have shown, is false.

    Here's another example of a person who is known to have bought and sold slaves after 1787 that was a delegate: William Richardson Davie (N. Carolina, he did not sign the final draft of the constitution)

    That's two "you" () missed.

    But, wait, here's another: Alexander Martin. He owned slaves in 1787, too.

    That's three.

    Face it, you tried to pretend you knew what you were talking about, and it's been proven that you didn't. Just admit it and let's move on.

    However, hatuey can't put a name to everyone of the, "25", founders that owned slaves in 1787.
    He can, however, provide a source that has not been proven wrong thus far. You mistakenly made a claim that your own source didn't support (even though you failed to cite that source) AND I've since shown that your claims were false (multiple times over now).

    I've also now named more than one person who was not included on your list that owned slaves in 1787. Do I have to name eveyr single one for you to admit that, when you were plagarizing someone else, you were talking out of your ass?





    No, there wasn't a large percentage.
    Saying that repeatedly doesn't make it true, though.

    The point that the opposition is trying to make is, A) most of the founders were slave owners and
    Nobody said most. It's bad enough that you're a plagarizer, but please stop lying.






    Both notions have been proven to be false.
    the only thing that's been proven false is your false claims.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 01-19-11 at 03:30 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Mock Slave Auction Brings Some Spectators to Tears

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The, "the founders were slave owners and racists and didn't care about abolishing slavery", argument was taking on water, fast. Kinda like this,



    so, you swoop in with the line about how southerners--as a whole--have been oppressing black for the past 900 years and it's bad and blah-blah-blah...

    That's the direction I'm talking about.
    Then you completely missed the tenure of the discussion as well. For the OP had nothing to do with which Founding Fathers or how many of them owned slaves. It was about slavery being part of our nation's history - plain and simple. Anything else complicates the matter and turns a simple reminder of history into these petty arguments that really take away from the issue at hand.

    Civil War re-enactments take place across this country every year. They happen in the north and in the south, in the east...I'm not sure how many take place in the west, if any, but they are reminders of where this country was, what led up to the war and where this country has been and where it may someday go. They're also staunch reminders of a dark time in our nation's history where crimes against humanity took place in earnest. The tears shed by those participants who took on the part of slaves speak loudly to the pain slavery wrought upon a people. We should never forget their pain, not then and certainly not now.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 01-19-11 at 04:00 PM.

  4. #74
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,452

    Re: Mock Slave Auction Brings Some Spectators to Tears

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Look him up. He opposed unequal representation, and eventually, he opposed ratification of the constitution. And your quote of him was about the slave trade, not the practice of keeping slaves or representation.

    Remember: "The slave trade was a bone of contention for many, with some who supported slavery abhorring the slave trade." Constitutional Topic: Slavery - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net





    Almost all.








    An incomplete list.



    You didn't miss anything. Missing something would imply that you did some reasearch. You copied another persons research into delegates who were owners and operators of slave-worked pantations and passed it off as your own knowledge.

    you also misrepresented their work as being a comprehensive list of all of the delegates who were slave owners. That misrepresentation, as I have shown, is false.

    Here's another example of a person who is known to have bought and sold slaves after 1787 that was a delegate: William Richardson Davie (N. Carolina, he did not sign the final draft of the constitution)

    That's two "you" () missed.

    But, wait, here's another: Alexander Martin. He owned slaves in 1787, too.

    That's three.

    Face it, you tried to pretend you knew what you were talking about, and it's been proven that you didn't. Just admit it and let's move on.



    He can, however, provide a source that has not been proven wrong thus far. You mistakenly made a claim that your own source didn't support (even though you failed to cite that source) AND I've since shown that your claims were false (multiple times over now).

    I've also now named more than one person who was not included on your list that owned slaves in 1787. Do I have to name eveyr single one for you to admit that, when you were plagarizing someone else, you were talking out of your ass?







    Saying that repeatedly doesn't make it true, though.



    Nobody said most. It's bad enough that you're a plagarizer, but please stop lying.








    the only thing that's been proven false is your false claims.
    No, not almost all. Not even almost half. See? That's where your argument and the facts part ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #75
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Mock Slave Auction Brings Some Spectators to Tears

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, not almost all. Not even almost half. See? That's where your argument and the facts part ways.
    He usually imported the slaves into delaware and New Jersey to avoid paying the high import taxes Pennsylvania charged. Tell me where my argument and the facts part ways.

    And, just so you know, I require more than you just saying "nope, you're wrong" in order to believe what you say when it's known for a fact that you lie, make **** up, and plagiarize other people's work.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 01-19-11 at 04:17 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #76
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Mock Slave Auction Brings Some Spectators to Tears

    Here's a source that has a few more slave owners at the convention.

    Rethinking Schools Online

    When we combine the two sources, we have the following

    Bassett, Blair, Blount, Butler, Carroll, Davie, Houstoun, Jenifer, Madison, Mason, Alexander Martin, Luther Martin, McClurg, Mercer, Charles Pinckney, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, Read, Rutledge, Spaight, Washington and Wythe.

    That's 21 out of 55 that allegedly owned slaves in 1787. 38%

    If we include Morris (a slave trader up until 1765 who may or may not have owned slaves at the time of the convention (since the abolishment of slavery in PA was gradual and did not apply to preexisting slaves), Franklin and Dickerson (Known former slave owners), we get 2, or about 44%.

    Definitely looking better for Hatuey's numbers than yours, apdst.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 01-19-11 at 04:45 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #77
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,452

    Re: Mock Slave Auction Brings Some Spectators to Tears

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Here's a source that has a few more slave owners at the convention.

    Rethinking Schools Online

    When we combine the two sources, we have the following

    Bassett, Blair, Blount, Butler, Carroll, Davie, Houstoun, Jenifer, Madison, Mason, Alexander Martin, Luther Martin, McClurg, Mercer, Charles Pinckney, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, Read, Rutledge, Spaight, Washington and Wythe.

    That's 21 out of 55 that allegedly owned slaves in 1787. 38%

    If we include Morris (a slave trader up until 1765 who may or may not have owned slaves at the time of the convention (since the abolishment of slavery in PA was gradual and did not apply to preexisting slaves), Franklin and Dickerson (Known former slave owners), we get 2, or about 44%.

    Definitely looking better for Hatuey's numbers than yours, apdst.
    Most of these men didn't own slaves in 1787. Speaking of lies, plagiarism and making **** up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #78
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Mock Slave Auction Brings Some Spectators to Tears

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Most of these men didn't own slaves in 1787. Speaking of lies, plagiarism and making **** up!
    You are lying again.

    Mercer, for example, had tried to pay his debts to Washington with slaves just one year earlier, The Writings of George Washington ... - Google Books yet he was not on the list you plagiarized.

    Until you can provide a source that contradicts the list I have presented, please stop your incessant lying and making **** up.


    P.S. I don't think you know what plagiarism means if you think I've plagiarized anything (hint: I've cited my sources and did not pass anything off without citation)
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 01-19-11 at 05:00 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #79
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,452

    Re: Mock Slave Auction Brings Some Spectators to Tears

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You are lying again.

    Mercer, for example, had tried to pay his debts to Washington with slaves just one year earlier, The Writings of George Washington ... - Google Books yet he was not on the list you plagiarized.

    Until you can provide a source that contradicts the list I have presented, please stop your incessant lying and making **** up.


    P.S. I don't think you know what plagiarism means if you think I've plagiarized anything (hint: I've cited my sources and did not pass anything off without citation)
    I'm thinking you're the one that doesn't know what plagiarism means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #80
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Mock Slave Auction Brings Some Spectators to Tears

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm thinking you're the one that doesn't know what plagiarism means.
    You can think that all you want.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •