Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Feds threaten to sue states over union laws

  1. #1
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Feds threaten to sue states over union laws

    By SAM HANANEL, Associated Press – Fri Jan 14, 4:58 pm ET
    WASHINGTON – The National Labor Relations Board on Friday threatened to sue Arizona, South Carolina, South Dakota and Utah over constitutional amendments guaranteeing workers the right to a secret ballot in union elections.
    The agency's acting general counsel, Lafe Solomon, said the amendments conflict with federal law, which gives employers the option of recognizing a union if a majority of workers sign cards that support unionizing.
    The amendments, approved Nov. 2, have taken effect in South Dakota and Utah, and will do so soon in Arizona and South Carolina.
    Business and anti-union groups sought the amendments, arguing that such secrecy is necessary to protect workers against union intimidation. They are concerned that Congress might enact legislation requiring employers to allow the "card check" process for forming unions instead of secret ballot elections.
    In letters to the attorney general of each state, Solomon says the amendments are pre-empted by the supremacy clause of the Constitution because they conflict with employee rights laid out in the National Labor Relations Act. That clause says that when state and federal laws are at odds, federal law prevails.
    Solomon is asking the attorneys general in South Dakota and Utah for official statements agreeing that their amendments are unconstitutional "to conserve state and federal resources."
    In his letter to South Carolina's attorney general, Solomon asks the state to take measures that would prevent the Legislature from ratifying the amendment. Solomon requested that Arizona's governor decline to make the amendment official.
    Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff said he believes the state is on solid ground. He plans to coordinate a response with the other three states.
    Feds threaten to sue states over union laws - Yahoo! News

    Fight back guys, fight the Feds. It is the rights of the workers at stake here.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #2
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Feds threaten to sue states over union laws

    Goodness gracious... and liberals claim to support the rights of workers... it is clear that they support UNIONS not workers...

    Also, what happened to States rights here? Are they going to assert the interstate commerce clause on this? That is a stretch...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #3
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Feds threaten to sue states over union laws

    I support the secret ballot. Without it, union elections are subject to coercion just like a non-secret ballot in a political election. Any concentration of power breeds corruption be a government, corporation or union and proper measures should be taken to mitigate the damage.

  4. #4
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Feds threaten to sue states over union laws

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Feds threaten to sue states over union laws - Yahoo! News

    Fight back guys, fight the Feds. It is the rights of the workers at stake here.
    We shouldn’t over react here.


    It’s not like the feds allow dead people and their pets to register to vote. Secrete ballots are clumsy and subject to employer intimidation. If an employee fears for his life because a couple union thugs have him backed into a corner with a clipboard shoved into his face, he can tell them to kiss it where the sun don’t shine and nothing will happen to him.


    The feds will make sure every cartoon character, personal pet and dead person who voted isn’t disenfranchised but those evil employers who have the audacity to expect a certain level of production in return for a certain level of pay, they will probably spike the koolaid and rig the vote right under the NLRB’s noses and people will either find themselves to be payed slaves or unpaid civil rights fighters holding a cardboard sign and a tin cup at an intersection near you.


    Please turn union votes into a federal election that resembles voter registration.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Feds threaten to sue states over union laws

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    We shouldn’t over react here.


    It’s not like the feds allow dead people and their pets to register to vote. Secrete ballots are clumsy and subject to employer intimidation. If an employee fears for his life because a couple union thugs have him backed into a corner with a clipboard shoved into his face, he can tell them to kiss it where the sun don’t shine and nothing will happen to him.


    The feds will make sure every cartoon character, personal pet and dead person who voted isn’t disenfranchised but those evil employers who have the audacity to expect a certain level of production in return for a certain level of pay, they will probably spike the koolaid and rig the vote right under the NLRB’s noses and people will either find themselves to be payed slaves or unpaid civil rights fighters holding a cardboard sign and a tin cup at an intersection near you.


    Please turn union votes into a federal election that resembles voter registration.

    You're a card check guy aren't you?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Feds threaten to sue states over union laws

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    The National Labor Relations Board on Friday threatened to sue....
    I stopped reading right there, I'm automaticaly on the other guy's side, I don't care if he's an admitted axe murderer.

  7. #7
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Feds threaten to sue states over union laws

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    You're a card check guy aren't you?
    Yeah! You have union card or not?

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Feds threaten to sue states over union laws

    I support the rights of workers but oppose all Unions as they are corrupt and work only to garner more members for dues and as in California are choking the State budget. Further more the teachers Union is a big part of the reason California has gone from number one in education to number forty nine. The children come in second to the teachers.

    California is not alone in this either the Federal Government suffers from it too.

    Unions were great when workers weren't being protected by strong Federal law but today they are.

    Unions such as SEIU, the Teamsters, I.A.M. & AFLCIO are all the same and are run by people who are questionable character.

    Right now so many Unions back the Socialist/Marxist Obama it's not funny worth a damn.

  9. #9
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Feds threaten to sue states over union laws

    Blatant violation of 10th Amendment, public sector unions are such crap and give the private sector ones a bad name.

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post


    Please turn union votes into a federal election that resembles voter registration. [/COLOR]
    Explain why
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  10. #10
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,145

    Re: Feds threaten to sue states over union laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    I support the rights of workers but oppose all Unions as they are corrupt and work only to garner more members for dues and as in California are choking the State budget. Further more the teachers Union is a big part of the reason California has gone from number one in education to number forty nine. The children come in second to the teachers.

    California is not alone in this either the Federal Government suffers from it too.

    Unions were great when workers weren't being protected by strong Federal law but today they are.

    Unions such as SEIU, the Teamsters, I.A.M. & AFLCIO are all the same and are run by people who are questionable character.

    Right now so many Unions back the Socialist/Marxist Obama it's not funny worth a damn.
    you are confused
    if you actually supported the rights of workers you would support their legal right to organize
    so, tell the truth and admit you are opposed to workers' rights
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •