Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 661

Thread: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

  1. #551
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Do I understand it correctly, Palin is comparing the heated opposition she is facing (which she fueled herself with equally heated rhetorics) with the persecution of Jews by the Nazis?
    No, you obviously don't understand it correctly.

    You should have waited for a response or done some research before you continued with your post.

  2. #552
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    You know what "blood libel" means, do you?
    I think Deershowitz could probably provide it much better then any of us. I have yet to meet a jew (and I am jewish) in the real world that has found the term offensive:

    The term “blood libel” has taken on a broad metaphorical meaning in public discourse. Although its historical origins were in theologically based false accusations against the Jews and the Jewish People,its current usage is far broader. I myself have used it to describe false accusations against the State of Israel by the Goldstone Report. There is nothing improper and certainly nothing anti-Semitic in Sarah Palin using the term to characterize what she reasonably believes are false accusations that her words or images may have caused a mentally disturbed individual to kill and maim. The fact that two of the victims are Jewish is utterly irrelevant to the propriety of using this widely used term.
    Http://biggovernment.com/publius/201...m-blood-libel/

  3. #553
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron River View Post

    Let the people on the left, who started these attacks against the right, shut their mouths and I’m betting that the issue will fade away.
    Palin herself, in person, used the term "blood libel". There is proof for that on video. That's not something the left invented and claimed she said, although she didn't. Right?

    I understand you're fond of Palin, nice and fine, that's your right, but can you accept that even your idol has to take responsibility for what she says? It's not that the evil liberals made her say that.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  4. #554
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I think Deershowitz could probably provide it much better then any of us. I have yet to meet a jew (and I am jewish) in the real world that has found the term offensive:



    Http://biggovernment.com/publius/201...m-blood-libel/
    The complaints against Sarah Palin from her political opponents will probably be the first time any of them ever came out defending Jews, or being distraught and upset on their behalf.

  5. #555
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Palin herself, in person, used the term "blood libel". There is proof for that on video. That's not something the left invented and claimed she said, although she didn't. Right?

    I understand you're fond of Palin, nice and fine, that's your right, but can you accept that even your idol has to take responsibility for what she says? It's not that the evil liberals made her say that.
    So what if she did use the term?

    So what? Many have used the term and it's in the public domain. There is no one word or phrase that is verboten to repeat.

    The great majority of the Jewish people apparently dont mind so why should you? Are you Jewish?

  6. #556
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The complaints against Sarah Palin from her political opponents will probably be the first time any of them ever came out defending Jews, or being distraught and upset on their behalf.
    Funny, and probably very true. The piece that upsets me about the whole thing, is that I am not even a fan of Palin. I would vote for nearly any other republican before her... But all this stupid crap that the left obsesses about, forces me to defend her. It's really one of the last things i want to do.

  7. #557
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I think Deershowitz could probably provide it much better then any of us. I have yet to meet a jew (and I am jewish) in the real world that has found the term offensive:
    Http://biggovernment.com/publius/201...m-blood-libel/
    Whatever some Palin apologists claim or say, in the real universe, you know, the one that actually exists, everybody who hears the term "blood libel" and has basic historical knowledge, associates this term with anti-Semitic accusations against Jews.

    I don't buy into all the vocal apologisms that are now being made, with the only purpose to deflect responsibility from Palin for what she said.

    It's one of the things that seem increasingly ****ed up about debate culture: Even when a politician says "dark" one day in person on national tv, there are all kinds of hyper-partisan soldiers and hacks vocally explaining he actually meant "light" when the politician is called on it, and asked to take responsibility for it.

    Seriously, can't people knee-jerk reactions to blame the opponent for everything bad that happens, and admit mistake, at least once?
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  8. #558
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,739

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Do I understand it correctly, Palin is comparing the heated opposition she is facing (which she fueled herself with equally heated rhetorics) with the persecution of Jews by the Nazis?

    WTF? Is she even in her right mind? Could it become any more tasteless?

    I didn't like Palin before and this certainly doesn't help to change my opinion.

    At any rate, I'm glad so many here agree that all sides should tone down their rhetorics. We're all not enemies, but opponents at worst, who respectfully disagree what's best for the country, and politicians run in fair competitions against each other. We shouldn't forget that.


    YOu are more upset about her use of the term, than the head of the ADL and a bunch of rabbi's posted above.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #559
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Whatever some Palin apologists claim or say, in the real universe, you know, the one that actually exists, everybody who hears the term "blood libel" and has basic historical knowledge, associates this term with anti-Semitic accusations against Jews.

    I don't buy into all the vocal apologisms that are now being made, with the only purpose to deflect responsibility from Palin for what she said.

    It's one of the things that seem increasingly ****ed up about debate culture: Even when a politician says "dark" one day in person on national tv, there are all kinds of hyper-partisan soldiers and hacks vocally explaining he actually meant "light" when the politician is called on it, and asked to take responsibility for it.

    Seriously, can't people knee-jerk reactions to blame the opponent for everything bad that happens, and admit mistake, at least once?
    Yeah.. Alan Dershowitz is a Palin apologist. You've pretty much lost any semblance of credibility.

  10. #560
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So what if she did use the term?

    So what? Many have used the term and it's in the public domain. There is no one word or phrase that is verboten to repeat.

    The great majority of the Jewish people apparently dont mind so why should you? Are you Jewish?
    Of course she is legally allowed to use this term. She'd also legally allowed to say she is the "most persecuted person on earth since Jesus Christ", as Berlusconi in Italy once did.

    That doesn't mean she has no responsibility for the implications and context of what she said.

    Just because you're allowed to say something, doesn't mean you 1) have to stand to its meaning and 2) accept when people call you on it.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •