Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 661

Thread: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    To Palin it is. She has realized that any kind of media coverage is good coverage. So long as her name is in the headlines, she's content.
    Well, as the Prof has pointed out in a recent post on this thread, the media certainly gave her a lot of coverage before she even spoke out.

    Why do you suppose that is? Why was the media, in this case the left wing media, giving her so much coverage following the murders in Tucson?

  2. #342
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Charles Krauthammer describes Sarah Palin's speech as “unfortunate and unnecessary,” and, this is the “perfect summery” according to Grim. Well, forgive me if I think Grim is a wide-eyed optimist if he thinks that was beneficial to Palin.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  3. #343
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Palin have 95% name recognition and 22% positives. In which direction do you think that 22% rating will go after today? Answer: South.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Is that important to you, Chappy? Is that what this is all about?
    Is that what it's all about to Sarah Palin, more like!
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  4. #344
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    really? seems i read it and pretty instantly knew what it meant.



    could be the phrase was in her mind because there was a wall street journal article that used the exact same description. its the title of a thread on this forum.


    course that would require you to admit she reads the wall street journal.
    You REALLY think she wrote that, all by her wittle sewf? Really?....... really?.....(sigh)

  5. #345
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    my undergrad was in history, but i don'y recall studying much antisemitism outside of the middle east. the basic common-usage that i've heard seems both fairly intuitive and applicable; false testimony about murder.

    as for palins' speechwriter; it was a facebook post. her speeches are given off of scribbled words on her palm, remember?
    Written there in simple words by a Speechwriter, and your point?

  6. #346
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,139
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Charles Krauthammer describes Sarah Palin's speech as “unfortunate and unnecessary,” and, this is the “perfect summery” according to Grim. Well, forgive me if I think Grim is a wide-eyed optimist if he thinks that was beneficial to Palin.
    I respect the hell out of what Krauthammer has to say, but that doesn't mean I march lock step with everything he says. He may be right from a political standpoint about her video, but I was speaking from a personal one. I believe she was totally justified in making that speech, because she had just been accused in essence, of being an accomplice in that shooting.

    Other than that, I agreed completely with what the man said and stand by my statement on the man, and that commentary.

  7. #347
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    what utter and complete bull****. there is precisely zero connection between sarah palins speeches and that nutjob deciding that his congresswoman was part of the secret plot to have the US sieze control of grammar.
    However,the PR professionals who craft all of the words that are repeated, over and over on the conservative media stream, know full well that words have "meanings" for people, based on feelings. These words/phrases elicit strong emotional responses that do not necessarily have any basis whatsoever in logic or reason.

    Think about his question "'What is government if words have no meaning?'", and then think of the term "death" tax. Which I guess means I oppose the estate penalty, because I think it's stupid to kill people to show people that killing people is wrong, right?

    Then think about his reading list: Marx, Hitler, Ayn Rand. I'm not certain, but wasn't manipulation of the masses through the media a theme of Rand's?, As well as Hitler's and Marx'. I'm gonna look that up. As well as the rest of that "incoherent" reading list.

    Could this be the first provable case of an individual being driven mad by "messaging"?

    Is that why the right's ready response seemed crafted to spin away a "righty" shooter, and therefore seems "overdone"? Is it because they have been expecting it to happen?

    Is what we're seeing right now the misfiring of what I believe they call a ""crisis" or "emergency" management plan", drawn up in advance of a potential PR problem? Like Sea World had for when shamu killed that trainer. That campaign either won an award or was nominated for one or was used as a shining example of an excellent one.

    anorexia and bulimia-first acknowledged illnesses associated with the effects of marketing/PR/persuasion/propaganda.

    Maybe a little, teeny tiny connection.

    Just sayin...

  8. #348
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    You do have to admit it's cute, though, the way so many people who had never heard the term until today are already such experts in the matter!
    I'm pretty well read and I personally have never even heard the term be used in any kind of discussion that didn't involve Christian persecution of Jews. However, this is par for the course. The Tea Party and its leaders Beck, Palin etc are all trying to portray themselves as the new Jews. It's the neo-Protestant tradition in America. They really do believe they are the chosen people of God. I have this really interesting book on the matter which talks about how twisted and warped politics and protestant traditions are in America. I'll inbox you the details.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 01-13-11 at 04:08 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #349
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Is there some sort of copyright on the expression? I've never heard of any phrase being forbidden or taboo before, so all of this is rather new and interesting.

    We are entering an exciting new age perhaps where the language police will gain ever more power and control over the public vocabulary, and the word Nazis will have their own Bureau of Criminal Phraseology.
    Think of it this way, if Conservatives and undeclared Conservatives pretending to be Independents can claim the word 'marriage' as being defined by "traditional" usage of the word, I'm quite sure Jews can claim the words 'blood libel'.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #350
    Guru
    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,928
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sarah Palin accuses critics of "blood libel"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The Tea Party and its leaders Beck, Palin etc are all trying to portray themselves as the new Jews.
    Jesus with a jumprope.

    Seriously. That is as paranoid as anything Beck ever froths on about.

    Really seriously. I didn't have to look up the phrase because I know it. Both in it's historical context and the modern usage which encompasses the idea of wrongful accusation and persecution.

    I would be willing to bet whoever wrote the script for that video liked the imagery of the WSJ article and decided to borrow the phrase.

    Period.

    It is really as uninspired and dull as that.

    There is no giant conspiracy. No intentional secret neo-religious message. No racist insensitivity. No hidden meaning at all.

Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •