Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: Arizona legislature passes bill limiting funeral protests

  1. #1
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,026

    Arizona legislature passes bill limiting funeral protests

    The Arizona Legislature unanimously has passed a bill meant to stop church from protesting at funerals of Tucson shooting victims.

    The vote was 29-0 in the state Senate and 58-0 in the state House. A spokesman for Gov. Jan Brewer earlier told CNN that she was prepared to sign the bill.


    Tucson, Arizona (CNN) -- The Arizona legislature is expected to pass legislation Tuesday targeting a Kansas church whose members have announced they plan to picket the funerals of the victims of Saturday's shootings in Tucson.

    The proposed legislation would make it a misdemeanor to protest within 300 feet of a funeral from one hour before until one hour after a funeral, a spokesman for the state House said.

    The action, according to House spokesman Daniel Scarpinato, is in direct response to the Westboro Baptist Church's announcement that it will picket the funeral of Christina Green, the 9-year-old who was among six people killed during Saturday's attempted assassination of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Arizona.

    The controversial church, based in Topeka, has made its name by staging protests at funerals of people who died of AIDS, gay people, soldiers and even Coretta Scott King.

    Snip...

    Arizona lawmakers take up funeral protest legislation - CNN.com

    Once again Arizona shows it's legislators will do what is necessary vs. waiting on our federal legislators that are worthless as a tit on a boar hog. God help those that try and strike this down.

  2. #2
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,839
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Arizona legislature passes bill limiting funeral protests

    Yeah, can't say I have a problem with this. Free speech has always had limits, and this limitation to me carries little dangerous consequences.

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Arizona legislature passes bill limiting funeral protests

    Even if overturned, the funeral will be over long before the appeals process.

    Although I'm sure the Phelps clan will just stand 301 feet away.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,469

    Re: Arizona legislature passes bill limiting funeral protests

    Why hasn't other states tried this tactic. You can place a lot of people in a 300 foot zone pushing Freddy pretty much out of anyone's view.

  5. #5
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Arizona legislature passes bill limiting funeral protests

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    The Arizona Legislature unanimously has passed a bill meant to stop church from protesting at funerals of Tucson shooting victims.

    The vote was 29-0 in the state Senate and 58-0 in the state House. A spokesman for Gov. Jan Brewer earlier told CNN that she was prepared to sign the bill.


    Tucson, Arizona (CNN) -- The Arizona legislature is expected to pass legislation Tuesday targeting a Kansas church whose members have announced they plan to picket the funerals of the victims of Saturday's shootings in Tucson.

    The proposed legislation would make it a misdemeanor to protest within 300 feet of a funeral from one hour before until one hour after a funeral, a spokesman for the state House said.

    The action, according to House spokesman Daniel Scarpinato, is in direct response to the Westboro Baptist Church's announcement that it will picket the funeral of Christina Green, the 9-year-old who was among six people killed during Saturday's attempted assassination of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Arizona.

    The controversial church, based in Topeka, has made its name by staging protests at funerals of people who died of AIDS, gay people, soldiers and even Coretta Scott King.

    Snip...

    Arizona lawmakers take up funeral protest legislation - CNN.com

    Once again Arizona shows it's legislators will do what is necessary vs. waiting on our federal legislators that are worthless as a tit on a boar hog. God help those that try and strike this down.
    Fabulous!!! Common sense!!! Damn near unAmerican!!!

    And even if it's challenged, in the meantime, this little 9-year-old girl's family will be left in peace. Good job, Arizona!!
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Arizona legislature passes bill limiting funeral protests

    I'm okay with this, done on the State level.

    Can't stand the Phelps clan!

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #7
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Arizona legislature passes bill limiting funeral protests

    Yeah its ****ed up that assholes want to protest at this little girl's funeral but the government state or federal should not be passing unconstitutional laws.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #8
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,469

    Re: Arizona legislature passes bill limiting funeral protests

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Yeah its ****ed up that assholes want to protest at this little girl's funeral but the government state or federal should not be passing unconstitutional laws.
    No one has came up with a better solution yet. No one.

    If this is what it takes to give that little girl's family an unattacked funeral then to hell with the constitution.

  9. #9
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Arizona legislature passes bill limiting funeral protests

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    No one has came up with a better solution yet. No one.

    If this is what it takes to give that little girl's family an unattacked funeral then to hell with the constitution.
    Spoken like a true lib.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #10
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,469

    Re: Arizona legislature passes bill limiting funeral protests

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Spoken like a true lib.
    You calling the whole state of Arizona lib?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •