Obama, in blow to closing Guantanamo, signs law - Yahoo! News
1. Closing Gitmo---another pipe dream pretty on the campaign stump but completely separated from practical realities.President Barack Obama, in a setback to hopes for the quick closing of the Guantanamo Bay prison, reluctantly signed a bill on Friday barring suspects held there from being brought to the United States for trial.
Making plain he would fight to repeal language in the law obstructing civilian U.S. trials for Guantanamo terrorism suspects, Obama said he was left with no choice but to sign the defense authorization act for fiscal 2011.
"Despite my strong objection to these provisions, which my administration has consistently opposed, I have signed this act because of the importance of authorizing appropriations for, among other things, our military activities in 2011," Obama said in a statement.
The bill includes sections blocking funding for the transfer of suspects from the Guantanamo prison to the United States. It also restricts the use of funds to ship them to other countries, unless specified conditions are met.
2. It never made any sense, never had a chance.
3. Slammed shut by his own House in lame duck by a margin of 341 to 48.
4. Vamoosed by voice vote thru Reid's roundhouse.
5. As utterly unworkable as ending detention, ending rendition, prosecuting agents from Darth Cheney's CIA.
6. As quixotic a quest as reaching out to the leaders of Iran.
7. As unsustainable an enterprise as building a mosque to improve community relations at Ground Zero.
8. As ineffectual as suing the people of Arizona for doing the federal government's job, irresponsibly remiss for most of 30 years.
9. Remember Hasan, the Fort Hood hitman, who shouted "Allah Akbar" while assassinating 13 American servicemembers in their soldier's readiness center and wounding 30 others?
10. Why did the Pentagon report on the tragedy work so hard to whitewash the murderer's unambigous motives?
Fort Hood Report: No Mention of Islam, Hasan Not Named - TIME
11. Why did the White House try to move KSM to a civil courtroom in downtown Manhattan before the likes of Lance Ito?
12. The president's comprehensive posture pertaining to overseas contingency operations, ie, international terrorism, is replete with pie-in-the-sky caprice.
13. Effectual chief execs, in contrast, need be grounded in reality.
14. Five hundred and forty one congressmen and women from both parties grounded the chimerical commander in chief this week.