Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 401

Thread: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

  1. #81
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    The political rhetoric concerning closing Gitmo was all about securing a big gesture to embarass Bush. It completely ignored reality.

  2. #82
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No. While not quite as dishoenst as Rev, we all know that public opinion weighs on congress critters, of all parties, and that scaring the public scares copngressmen.

    And no one said the republican party had to honor Obama's promises. but that doesn't mean they don't factor into what has happened. They are part of the forces that are blocking efforts. You can't divoce them from that. You may promise to win a race. I don't want you to win, so I tie your feet together. I can't then say I'm not resonsibile because I didn't promise you'd win the race. I still tied you up.

    The fact is congress, bot democrats and republicna, have been a hinderence. That is simply fact. And you can't remove their role in this.
    Boo,

    Why do you defend the indefensible? Obama could have honored his solemn promise easily if he was prepared to take the political heat. Obama can act unilaterally to release these detainees to Yemen. Yemen would take the misfortunate detainees. Only Obama is keeping them penned like animals. This is the man you support. Your support makes continued imprisonment possible.

  3. #83
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    The political rhetoric concerning closing Gitmo was all about securing a big gesture to embarass Bush. It completely ignored reality.


    And now it's completely ignored.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #84
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,073

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    where did all you folks go?



    It's amazing how time changes everything......
    Thats because it was all about trying to get Bush. Grant it if it was Gore or Kerry in office running two wars then most of the anti-war rhetotirc would have came from republicans
    Last edited by jamesrage; 01-17-11 at 05:39 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #85
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    I see this as another example of what happens when an amateur is put in charge of anything. He made wild claims during the campaign that were not based on any knowledge of the intricacies of this or mat any other subject, as in the economy.

    It's easy to set your sights on a goal to get elected and then say what ever anyone wants to hear as long as it continues to promote your goal with little or no regard for the realities involved.

    Obama has made more unfulfilled promises and claims than any one I can remember and his inability to learn from his mistakes is glaring, as his whole approach to Health care and the Economy and the trials of GETMO detainees in NYC will attest.

    After two years he's still an amateur on every subject, and still surrounded by nothing but radicals with no practical experience at any level of management, and it's all because of arrogance.

    I think at the core Obama is a dumb-ass and I would tell him that to his face.
    Last edited by Councilman; 01-17-11 at 05:48 PM.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Boo,

    Why do you defend the indefensible? Obama could have honored his solemn promise easily if he was prepared to take the political heat. Obama can act unilaterally to release these detainees to Yemen. Yemen would take the misfortunate detainees. Only Obama is keeping them penned like animals. This is the man you support. Your support makes continued imprisonment possible.
    So, he could have move prisoners here and moved forward without congress? Is that your argument?

    Why have congress at all? Perhaps we should skip right to having a king.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    The political rhetoric concerning closing Gitmo was all about securing a big gesture to embarass Bush. It completely ignored reality.
    No one could embarrass Bush more than Bush did. Remeber, always, that he created the problem there. Nothing anyone else does changes that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #88
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,073

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    I see this as another example of what happens when an amateur is put in charge of anything. He made wild claims during the campaign that were not based on any knowledge of the intricacies of this or mat any other subject, as in the economy.

    It's easy to set your sights on a goal to get elected and then say what ever anyone wants to hear as long as it continues to promote your goal with little or no regard for the realities involved.

    Obama has made more unfulfilled promises and claims than any one I can remember and his inability to learn from his mistakes is glaring, as his whole approach to Health care and the Economy and the trials of GETMO detainees in NYC will attest.
    Considering the fact Obama is an experienced politician he knows full well that he must get congress and senate to support and to write the bills he want in order for his campaign promises to come true. Its most of the suckers that voted for him who have no knowledge of how things really work. The way some of these anti-war nuts acted when Bush was in office it would have any ignorant person thinking Bush ran the whole show and did what ever he wanted.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #89
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So, he could have move prisoners here and moved forward without congress? Is that your argument?

    Why have congress at all? Perhaps we should skip right to having a king.


    oooh oooh hysterics and hyperbole...... Fun....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #90
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    My my my.... Testy today, boo? Did I hit a nerve?




    Executive order.


    Calling me dishonest just makes you look desparate in your attempts to shield your man from critisizm.
    No nerve. Just tire of the dishonesty.

    And no, an exceutive order would still have to deal with the realities, the laws Bush broke, and where to houuse those who actually need to be held.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •