Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 401

Thread: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

  1. #61
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    You actually don't know jack about blackwater.....

    So it's cool now. GITMO is now cool. that's your argument? seriously? He "worked" and failed, he couldnt get a D congress to close it, so now it's cool?
    YOu dizzy yet?


    more like one is an (R) the other a (D).....
    Myopic hyperpartisans dont want to talk about Obama and the prioners held at...say...the Tor Jail or deciding terrorists really dont get constitutional rights after all.

    And besides...Its all Bush's fault!!!

    Pathetic.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    You actually don't know jack about blackwater.....

    besides:

    Sen. Barack Obama has not been a fan of private police like Blackwater in war zones, and some news outlets even reported that they were spurned for his trip last week to Afghanistan and Iraq. But Whispers confirms that Blackwater did handle the Democratic presidential candidate's security in Afghanistan and helped out in Iraq. What's more, Obama was overheard saying: "Blackwater is getting a bad rap." Since everything appeared to go swimmingly, maybe he will take firms like Blackwater out of his sights, the company's supporters hop

    Your president disagrees with you.





    So it's cool now. GITMO is now cool. that's your argument? seriously? He "worked" and failed, he couldnt get a D congress to close it, so now it's cool?





    YOu dizzy yet?


    more like one is an (R) the other a (D).....
    Does the president really disagree with me? Or is that you once again not taking everything in to consideration.

    And no one said Gitmo was cool. I still wanted it closed. but do I ignore congress and pretend they ahve not put up road blocks? Only the partisan woudl do that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Does the president really disagree with me? Or is that you once again not taking everything in to consideration.

    And no one said Gitmo was cool. I still wanted it closed. but do I ignore congress and pretend they ahve not put up road blocks? Only the partisan woudl do that.
    BHO said one year and during that year Democrats controlled Congress. In fact the Democrats controlled it the following year as well.

    Now its the fault of the new Congress? And still President Bush?

    When does BHO start taking responsibility for his actions?

  4. #64
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    BHO said one year and during that year Democrats controlled Congress. In fact the Democrats controlled it the following year as well.

    Now its the fault of the new Congress? And still President Bush?

    When does BHO start taking responsibility for his actions?
    And democrats share part of the blame. I did not say just republican copngress people. I said congress. Congress has blocked this. Obama has been working to close it. That is his responsibility to his promise. Both are responsibile for what they do. Presidents are not kings.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And democrats share part of the blame. I did not say just republican copngress people. I said congress. Congress has blocked this. Obama has been working to close it. That is his responsibility to his promise. Both are responsibile for what they do. Presidents are not kings.
    But because the Democrats have controlled Congress since BHO was elected, shouldn't they take the entire responsibility? Why only "part of the blame"?

    How are the Republicans responsible and why should they be supportive of BHO's election promises anyway? Shouldn't BHO have taken some possible disagreement into account rather than making promises he couldn't keep?

  6. #66
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    But because the Democrats have controlled Congress since BHO was elected, shouldn't they take the entire responsibility? Why only "part of the blame"?

    How are the Republicans responsible and why should they be supportive of BHO's election promises anyway? Shouldn't BHO have taken some possible disagreement into account rather than making promises he couldn't keep?
    No. All of congress. Republicans didn't just sit there and do nothing. They contributed not only to votes, but to the fear mongering and misinformation. All of congress shares blame.

    Whether they, republicans, should or should not support Obama's promises is neither here nor there. the fact is they are part of the road block and should not be ignored to futher a political point, or in this case, a misrepresentation. Obama is, factually, working to keep his promise and has been.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    republicans fear mongered and misinformed CHUCK SCHUMER and DIANNE FEINSTEIN and BARBARA BOXER and JOHN KERRY and DANIEL INOUYE and TOM HARKIN...

    LOL!

    what an idiot

    obama, i mean

  8. #68
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    When he was running for president Barack Obama promised over and over and over again that he would close Gitmo, stop renditions, get rid of warrantless wiretaps and the Patriot Act, and stop torture. Instead of capturing prisoners Obama is killing them at night with pilotless drones.

    He hasn't kept a single one of those promises. He's a liar. He made those promises without the intent of ever keeping them. We now see Obama signing legislation that makes it impossible for him to keep his promise. People who voted for him should be ashamed.
    The politicians who don't break promises are the ones who deliver them in a symbolic form. I would be shocked if every politician you've supported has kept all their promises, and even more shocked if you were ashamed of yourself when/if they did not.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 01-15-11 at 01:17 AM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The politicians who don't break promises are the ones who deliver them in a symbolic form. I would be shocked if you ever voted (or would have voted, if you had the ability to do so) for a politician who kept all their promises, and even more shocked if you felt shame if they did not.
    While you may wish to address this subject generally, we are compelled to focus on the specific case. Barack Obama. He did not use much symbolism. Obama simply promised all things to all people. And now he is suffering for it. Gitmo is simply evidence of this proposition.

  10. #70
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    While you may wish to address this subject generally, we are compelled to focus on the specific case. Barack Obama. He did not use much symbolism. Obama simply promised all things to all people. And now he is suffering for it. Gitmo is simply evidence of this proposition.
    Moral authority takes credibility, and credibility requires consistency. That brings the generality into it. But for the sake of argument, we'll stick to Obama's case:

    The only plausible way to interpret a promise in a shared power system is as a guarantee they will do their best, because the only way an individual politician can insure conformity with their word is to impose an autocracy. The need to preserve the republic supersedes the measures Obama would have to employ to keep his promise (dissolving Congress and assuming legislative control), so he is excused from breaking his word.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 01-15-11 at 01:30 AM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •