Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 401

Thread: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

  1. #51
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    How so?

    Where Pres. Obama's attempts to close Gitmo are concerned, his hands are tied because by law he has to follow the legal precedent that was set before him. Even as President, there is a limit to what he can do - or in the case of Gitmo and all the legal wranglings, undo. I believe he has tried to find other ways to bring about fair trials, i.e. trying cases in civilian courts even after allowing the JAG corps to intervene, but even then there are limits to what the defense attorneys can do, what evidence can and can't be presented despite some evidenciary rule changes in civilian courts.

    So, while it's true Pres. Obama hasn't been able to keep this campaign promise, folks have to understand the reasons why he hasn't been able to do so and why by most accounts it appears he's doing the same things GW. Bush did - hold them indefinitely until he can ship them off to other countries to imprison them abroad or hold them under house arrest indefinitely. He really can't win on this one, but he's still trying to find a way to do the right thing. I just don't think he'll be able to until the war is over.
    Really? I think all he has to do is the 'humane' thing and return them to the prison system in, say, Afghanistan, Iraq, or whatever country they were captured in. Im sure they would get MUCH better treatment there...

  2. #52
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    How so?

    Where Pres. Obama's attempts to close Gitmo are concerned, his hands are tied because by law he has to follow the legal precedent that was set before him. Even as President, there is a limit to what he can do - or in the case of Gitmo and all the legal wranglings, undo. I believe he has tried to find other ways to bring about fair trials, i.e. trying cases in civilian courts even after allowing the JAG corps to intervene, but even then there are limits to what the defense attorneys can do, what evidence can and can't be presented despite some evidenciary rule changes in civilian courts.

    So, while it's true Pres. Obama hasn't been able to keep this campaign promise, folks have to understand the reasons why he hasn't been able to do so and why by most accounts it appears he's doing the same things GW. Bush did - hold them indefinitely until he can ship them off to other countries to imprison them abroad or hold them under house arrest indefinitely. He really can't win on this one, but he's still trying to find a way to do the right thing. I just don't think he'll be able to until the war is over.
    His hands are not tied at all. If he wants, he can tell those guarding the prisoners to leave and order them to leave the doors open.... if he believes closing it is as important as he claimed.

    .

  3. #53
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    His hands are not tied at all. If he wants, he can tell those guarding the prisoners to leave and order them to leave the doors open.... if he believes closing it is as important as he claimed.

    .
    Oh damn!!!! Thats BRILLIANT! Drop a Deuce on Castro along the way as a payback for the boatlift...

  4. #54
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    Obama, in blow to closing Guantanamo, signs law - Yahoo! News



    1. Closing Gitmo---another pipe dream pretty on the campaign stump but completely separated from practical realities.

    2. It never made any sense, never had a chance.

    3. Slammed shut by his own House in lame duck by a margin of 341 to 48.

    4. Vamoosed by voice vote thru Reid's roundhouse.

    5. As utterly unworkable as ending detention, ending rendition, prosecuting agents from Darth Cheney's CIA.

    6. As quixotic a quest as reaching out to the leaders of Iran.

    7. As unsustainable an enterprise as building a mosque to improve community relations at Ground Zero.

    8. As ineffectual as suing the people of Arizona for doing the federal government's job, irresponsibly remiss for most of 30 years.

    9. Remember Hasan, the Fort Hood hitman, who shouted "Allah Akbar" while assassinating 13 American servicemembers in their soldier's readiness center and wounding 30 others?

    10. Why did the Pentagon report on the tragedy work so hard to whitewash the murderer's unambigous motives?

    Fort Hood Report: No Mention of Islam, Hasan Not Named - TIME

    11. Why did the White House try to move KSM to a civil courtroom in downtown Manhattan before the likes of Lance Ito?

    12. The president's comprehensive posture pertaining to overseas contingency operations, ie, international terrorism, is replete with pie-in-the-sky caprice.

    13. Effectual chief execs, in contrast, need be grounded in reality.

    14. Five hundred and forty one congressmen and women from both parties grounded the chimerical commander in chief this week.

    The Prof

    It's easy for those scum office to kiss the asses of anti-war loons wanting GItmo closed for votes. But reality hits them(or its possible that they already knew) and they realize that in order to close Gitmo these inmates will have to be placed in prisons in the US. While anti-war nuts may make a significant portion of voters whom these scum in office try to buttkiss there are more people who do not want dangerous terrorist in their prisons possible recruiting future terrorist or the possibility that the lawyers of the terrorist will be used to spread vital information.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #55
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,502

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    reading this thread, is like the twilight zone, watching the left make excuses for what they thought was one of Bush's worst crimes, now that thier guy is the "decider"...
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #56
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,502

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    where did all you folks go?





    Blackwater Facts: Obama Got Blackwater Protection in Iraq & Afghanistan; Says 'Blackwater Is Getting a Bad Rap'






    It's amazing how time changes everything......
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #57
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Still pretending apples are tree frogs, Rev?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #58
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,502

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Still pretending apples are tree frogs, Rev?


    Or that Gitmo and blackwater are...... wait for it.... gitmo and blackwater.....


    It's sad to see the 2004 protestors, all dispersed now, all missing, the whining and crying over evil pmc's and GITMO all but gone, yet they remain... Tell me boo, why is it "free tibet" is no longer in vogue?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #59
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Or that Gitmo and blackwater are...... wait for it.... gitmo and blackwater.....


    It's sad to see the 2004 protestors, all dispersed now, all missing, the whining and crying over evil pmc's and GITMO all but gone, yet they remain... Tell me boo, why is it "free tibet" is no longer in vogue?
    Blackwater first. Back then, Blackwater was doing **** that brought them to forefront. Without their actions, few would ahve even known about them.

    And, Obama did not create Gitmo, and did release some. He also has worked to close it. Congress has been the block to it closing, not to mention the illegal **** Bush did before Obama took over.

    Apples to tree frogs.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #60
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,502

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Blackwater first. Back then, Blackwater was doing **** that brought them to forefront. Without their actions, few would ahve even known about them.
    You actually don't know jack about blackwater.....

    besides:

    Sen. Barack Obama has not been a fan of private police like Blackwater in war zones, and some news outlets even reported that they were spurned for his trip last week to Afghanistan and Iraq. But Whispers confirms that Blackwater did handle the Democratic presidential candidate's security in Afghanistan and helped out in Iraq. What's more, Obama was overheard saying: "Blackwater is getting a bad rap." Since everything appeared to go swimmingly, maybe he will take firms like Blackwater out of his sights, the company's supporters hop

    Your president disagrees with you.



    And, Obama did not create Gitmo, and did release some. He also has worked to close it. Congress has been the block to it closing, not to mention the illegal **** Bush did before Obama took over.

    Apples to tree frogs.

    So it's cool now. GITMO is now cool. that's your argument? seriously? He "worked" and failed, he couldnt get a D congress to close it, so now it's cool?





    YOu dizzy yet?


    more like one is an (R) the other a (D).....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •