Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 401

Thread: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    the opposition, in this case, includes 161 house dems and 59 blues in the senate

    the kneejerk clickers, 60 second submitters, can't even count

    even when it's all laid out before em

    pathetic

  2. #32
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    When he was running for president Barack Obama promised over and over and over again that he would close Gitmo, stop renditions, get rid of warrantless wiretaps and the Patriot Act, and stop torture. Instead of capturing prisoners Obama is killing them at night with pilotless drones.

    He hasn't kept a single one of those promises. He's a liar. He made those promises without the intent of ever keeping them. We now see Obama signing legislation that makes it impossible for him to keep his promise. People who voted for him should be ashamed.
    He's a politician. I don't know if people really thought that he'd close Gitmo; but to me it was clear from the start that he wouldn't. He just needed talking points to make it look like he was different from the Republican offerings that year; but in the end he'll maintain the status quo. That's what the Republocrats do.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #33
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    Obama, in blow to closing Guantanamo, signs law - Yahoo! News



    1. Closing Gitmo---another pipe dream pretty on the campaign stump but completely separated from practical realities.

    2. It never made any sense, never had a chance.

    3. Slammed shut by his own House in lame duck by a margin of 341 to 48.

    4. Vamoosed by voice vote thru Reid's roundhouse.

    5. As utterly unworkable as ending detention, ending rendition, prosecuting agents from Darth Cheney's CIA.

    6. As quixotic a quest as reaching out to the leaders of Iran.

    7. As unsustainable an enterprise as building a mosque to improve community relations at Ground Zero.

    8. As ineffectual as suing the people of Arizona for doing the federal government's job, irresponsibly remiss for most of 30 years.

    9. Remember Hasan, the Fort Hood hitman, who shouted "Allah Akbar" while assassinating 13 American servicemembers in their soldier's readiness center and wounding 30 others?

    10. Why did the Pentagon report on the tragedy work so hard to whitewash the murderer's unambigous motives?

    Fort Hood Report: No Mention of Islam, Hasan Not Named - TIME

    11. Why did the White House try to move KSM to a civil courtroom in downtown Manhattan before the likes of Lance Ito?

    12. The president's comprehensive posture pertaining to overseas contingency operations, ie, international terrorism, is replete with pie-in-the-sky caprice.

    13. Effectual chief execs, in contrast, need be grounded in reality.

    14. Five hundred and forty one congressmen and women from both parties grounded the chimerical commander in chief this week.

    The Prof
    Maybe he REALLY believed he could do it. maybe he was pandering to the left. Either way, he learned very early that there are certain realities to being president. He has opened a new version of Gitmo in the middle east, reversed track on giving captive terrorists constitutional rights, etc.

    So...you can either look at it as "that scumbag, he lied!" or that he just got doused with reality, or that aside from the rhetoric he has given to please his base, he has actually done a pretty decent job combating terrorism. This is one of the few areas where I give him a positive grade (regardless of his motivation).

  4. #34
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Maybe he REALLY believed he could do it. maybe he was pandering to the left. Either way, he learned very early that there are certain realities to being president. He has opened a new version of Gitmo in the middle east, reversed track on giving captive terrorists constitutional rights, etc.

    So...you can either look at it as "that scumbag, he lied!" or that he just got doused with reality, or that aside from the rhetoric he has given to please his base, he has actually done a pretty decent job combating terrorism. This is one of the few areas where I give him a positive grade (regardless of his motivation).
    He's learning - getting an education. All the Alinsky playbook rehetoric that got him elected was just that - a big "rope and dope". Now reality is, he cannot close it and he's violating the SCOTUS ruling and habius corpus just like Bush did according to the left pundits. Obama will be a poster boy for a classic and almost perfect election to become President, and a classic failure at leadership and executing a Presidency. Ultimately he talks too much, made too many promises and up until now had his bacon pulled out of the fire by Pelosi and Reid. Without those two, he'd have already been run out of the White House.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #35
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    what should obama have done here? what choice did he have? please be specific in your answer.
    I'll be specific
    how about, 'what he said he was going to do?'
    too much to ask of the President?

    the independent vote is suffering because of his "lies" and false promise's.

    the Far left (check mirror) would vote for him again even if he raped somebody,
    the far right wouldnt vote for him even if he cured cancer.

    the middle, is shifting away.
    you'll see

    come on "12"
    Last edited by shades; 01-13-11 at 12:44 PM.

  6. #36
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Pot warning the kettle not to get too hot, huh?
    Whatever. But it was sound advice nonetheless. It's easy to make promises on the campaign trail, that are difficult to keep in office. It was a fair warning.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #37
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    He's a politician. I don't know if people really thought that he'd close Gitmo; but to me it was clear from the start that he wouldn't. He just needed talking points to make it look like he was different from the Republican offerings that year; but in the end he'll maintain the status quo. That's what the Republocrats do.
    advice, dont end your thought with a "yea but Johnny does it, so why cant I"

    you may actually have something to add to a thread someday and just one of these endings kind of ruins all else.

    just sayin,

    on topic, aside from the millions who lined up actually believing he would close Gitmo, a large portion of the rest were just voting for Martin Luther King reborn.

    So Gitmo has more impact on the next promise he makes than you would like to believe, I realize that.
    but try it.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyroh View Post
    not exactly a ringing recommendation for democracy.
    No. But it how it works. All forms have their problems. But when you need to get votes to win, well, you need votes to win. So, we're left with candidates from all stripes making promises they can't keep and trying very hard to take any hard positions, or admit to having actually stood for anything. Not that'd I would argue to get rid of a democracy, but we should know it comes with problems like any other system.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #39
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No. But it how it works. All forms have their problems. But when you need to get votes to win, well, you need votes to win. So, we're left with candidates from all stripes making promises they can't keep and trying very hard to take any hard positions, or admit to having actually stood for anything. Not that'd I would argue to get rid of a democracy, but we should know it comes with problems like any other system.
    being "left" with candidates from all stripes making promises they cant keep" doesnt make any of it right.

    the topic is obamas promise to close Gitmo, using this logic and or excuse we may as well never talk about any subject and the merit of said subject's relevance, no?

    dont excuse his lieing to your face, and this isnt some Bush lied about WMD's opinion based on evidence at the time, lest you have proof he knew otherwise, at the time....,
    this is a look in the camera and lie, lie. "I will close Gitmo by January 2010"

    hard to run from that, now if this lie doesnt bother you, then so be it.
    hence the conversation

  10. #40
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by shades View Post
    being "left" with candidates from all stripes making promises they cant keep" doesnt make any of it right.

    the topic is obamas promise to close Gitmo, using this logic and or excuse we may as well never talk about any subject and the merit of said subject's relevance, no?

    dont excuse his lieing to your face, and this isnt some Bush lied about WMD's opinion based on evidence at the time, lest you have proof he knew otherwise, at the time....,
    this is a look in the camera and lie, lie. "I will close Gitmo by January 2010"

    hard to run from that, now if this lie doesnt bother you, then so be it.
    hence the conversation
    I never said any of it was right, but only what the system encourages, and espeically with a population that only marginally pays attention. We shoudl know as a country that the president isn't king and shouldn't be able to too many things without congress and the courts being part of it.

    And frankly, making a campgian promise is in a no way equal to lying about a war. Things are not equivilent (I sometimes think people who use that word on these boards don't what it means). All lies may be lies, but all are not equal in their grievious nature. Not one candidate tells the complete truth while running for election. But not all tell bold faced lies that lead us into unnessary wars, costing thousands of lives.

    And if Obama can't close it, not having a viable method, and congress has hindered him, then the fault is not his alone to bear. This is merely fact. And no one has yet answered my question: Is the reason it is not closed because Obama choose not to close it, or because congress didn't support him closing it?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •