Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 401

Thread: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

  1. #91
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No nerve. Just tire of the dishonesty.

    Good, admitting you have a problem is the first step to a remedy.


    And no, an exceutive order would still have to deal with the realities, the laws Bush broke, and where to houuse those who actually need to be held.

    Once the executive order is enacted, it can be dictated these thing to be done.


    Like when we integrated the military...
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No. While not quite as dishoenst as Rev, we all know that public opinion weighs on congress critters, of all parties, and that scaring the public scares copngressmen.
    Well who was scaring the public? The President? Media? Senate? House? The Attorney General?

    And no one said the republican party had to honor Obama's promises.
    I said they don't have to honor his promises.
    but that doesn't mean they don't factor into what has happened.
    I certainly hope they factored into what happened. It was a crazy idea when he first mentioned and a crazy idea now. Had BHO or the Congress genuinely wanted to close Gitmoo they could have without Republican or public approval, just as they passed that atrocious health care Bill. They were acting against the public interests and wishes then and they could have done it with Gitmo as well.

    They are part of the forces that are blocking efforts. You can't divoce them from that. You may promise to win a race. I don't want you to win, so I tie your feet together. I can't then say I'm not resonsibile because I didn't promise you'd win the race. I still tied you up.
    Again, they forced Health Care , they could have also forced Gitmo. The bottom line is that BHO is either hopelessly naive or a liar. Either way he is unfit to serve as president
    The fact is congress, bot democrats and republicna, have been a hinderence. That is simply fact. And you can't remove their role in this.
    I don't want to remove the Republican role in this. Keeping Gitmo open has probably saved a lot of lives already. It should remain open and stay that way into the foreseeable future. And anyone who says that Gitmo is a recruiting tool for terrorists is just as goofy, or as much a chronic liar, as BHO.

  3. #93
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So, he could have move prisoners here and moved forward without congress? Is that your argument?

    Why have congress at all? Perhaps we should skip right to having a king.
    Congress can't stop a president from releasing prisoners. He signs the release papers and the cell door opens up.

    Leftists didn't really care about Gitmo. Leftists used Gitmo for partisan political purposes.

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    LOL!

    if george w what's-his-name is so responsible for gitmo being uncloseable, then why did obama promise so repeatedly he'd GET THE JOB DONE

    i guess he thought he was a KING

  5. #95
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No nerve. Just tire of the dishonesty.

    Good, admitting you have a problem is the first step to a remedy.


    And no, an exceutive order would still have to deal with the realities, the laws Bush broke, and where to houuse those who actually need to be held.

    Once the executive order is enacted, it can be dictated these thing to be done.


    Like when we integrated the military...
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #96
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I think if people really knew about how the Bush/Cheney administration co-opted the judiciary in order to keep terrorist from every leaving Gitmo no matter what the evidence proved or disproved, they'd be very surprised.

    Closing Gitmo will continue to be difficult as long as this country is at war because of the purposeful legal rangling the previous administration did. Most of the men held in Gitmo will never receive a trial (let alone a fair one) because the rules have been set in such a way that none will likely ever see the evidence held against them because most of it has been labelled as "classified". As such, the Supreme Court upheld a ruling that detainees nor their defense attorney's are able to see classified evidence unless they have the proper security clearance. Moreover, even if the attorney's got the right clearance, the "classified" evidence that is suppose to convict these men can never be presented at trial for reasons of "national security". So, unless the SC overturns that ruling, any White House administration/DOJ who tries to hold trial against a Gitmo detainee has a steep uphill battle on his hands.

    And if that wasn't bad enough, you have the issue of the rules for military tribunels being established by civilian trial counsels who've never dealt with "war crimes" issues instead of allowing the JAG court to write the procedures. The Bush/Cheney administration never intended to release the detainees or allow them a fair trial, not while the War on Terror was ongoing and certainly not while they were in office.

    Again, if people really knew the truth where Gitmo is concerned, they'd think differently as to why Pres. Obama is having such a difficult time closing it down. Frankly, I think he's stuck on this issue until the war in Afghanistan ends. And by then it may be someone else's problem and they'll have the same problem closing it let alone bringing any of the detainees to trial.

    If people only knew...
    If you don't like something just make up ****, right?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Once the executive order is enacted, it can be dictated these thing to be done.


    Like when we integrated the military...
    Apples to tree frogs again? If a president could handle everythingwith an executive order, we don't need congress. Do we?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Congress can't stop a president from releasing prisoners. He signs the release papers and the cell door opens up.

    Leftists didn't really care about Gitmo. Leftists used Gitmo for partisan political purposes.
    It's not about releasing all of them. It's about housing those we will keep. not to mention the barriers Bush created in properly trying them.

    And until you actual understand the position of others, you will likely always be stuck in sterotype pretend land.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Apples to tree frogs again? If a president could handle everythingwith an executive order, we don't need congress. Do we?
    And that's something to watch out for. In all honestly the EO has been abused for quite some time now, it's used to legislate which is not the President's job; but Congress. The EO is supposed to be directives handed down by the President to the branches under him, which order them to execute laws in prescribed manner. The abuse of the EO has become a serious threat to the proper checks and balances which are supposed to exist within the system. The abuse of the EO accumultes WAY too much power into the executive who is supposed to be the weakest of the three branches. It is a serious and dangerous form of treason and we need to be very careful in how we allow it to be used.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #100
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Obama, In A Blow To Closing Guantanamo, Signs Law

    I do not see the problem here. The President dislikes something, but realizes it is indeed a necessity, thus he prolongs it for the time being. That is what an elected leader is supposed to do. If he simply kept all of his promises only to hurt the nation he is sworn to defend, then he has accomplished nothing. I for one am glad that politicians are at least intelligent enough to give thought to legislation and change their first opinions, rather than being "fundamentalist" in their ideals and pushing garbage through that serves no purpose other than to "keep promises."

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •