Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 210

Thread: Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75% Income Tax Hike

  1. #141
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75% Income Tax Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I'm not, not seeing those things Conservative.

    You wanna blindly attack me on that point, go ahead.

    I believe in Human rights and freedom for all.

    However from a purely logical standpoint.

    What they're doing, is working, and is beating you economically.
    Tell me what a bureaucrat in D.C. knows about the social problems in Beaumont, TX or Boise, Idaho? There is no logic in the liberal world, it is all about perception as to what the problem is. Most people don't have the same ideals as liberals and understand personal responsibility. How do you know things are working well in China as who controls the media? let me know when those Chinese create a 14.6 trillion dollar economy? It would seem that with more than three times the population they would be doing better than they are?
    Last edited by Conservative; 03-27-11 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling

  2. #142
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75% Income Tax Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Tell me what a bureaucrat in D.C. knows about the social problems in Beaumont, TX or Boise, Idaho? There is no logic in the liberal world, it is all about perception as to what the problem is. Most people don't have the same ideals as liberals and understand personal responsibility. How do you know things are working well in China as who controls the media? let me know when those Chinese create a 14.6 trillion dollar economy? It would seem that with more than three times the population they would be doing better than they are?
    I actually wanted to have a conversation with you.

    But it turns out you want to bash liberals for awhile.

    Have fun with that.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75% Income Tax Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I actually wanted to have a conversation with you.

    But it turns out you want to bash liberals for awhile.

    Have fun with that.

    Part of any conversation has to be having the proper frame of reference. when you claim that China is headed in the right direction that doesn't help your credibility because that is an opinion which isn't based upon facts. China is a closed society with a media controlled by the govt. How do you know what is going on there.

    AS for bashing liberals, it is so easy to do as all their rhetoric is emotion based and not factual based. Facts have no place in the liberal world as evidenced by totally ignoring actual results. Seems to me that you want to bash conservatives but cannot seem to do it factually. You started off attacking TX because it took stimulus money while ignoring what that stimulus money funded, Federal mandates. Then you claimed that TX should fight the mandates but when I told you that TX was fighting the mandates but had to pay for those mandates in the meantime you moved on to another topic.

    I don't see any liberal wanting a conversation, only continued distortion of reality.

  4. #144
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75% Income Tax Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Part of any conversation has to be having the proper frame of reference. when you claim that China is headed in the right direction that doesn't help your credibility because that is an opinion which isn't based upon facts. China is a closed society with a media controlled by the govt. How do you know what is going on there.

    AS for bashing liberals, it is so easy to do as all their rhetoric is emotion based and not factual based. Facts have no place in the liberal world as evidenced by totally ignoring actual results. Seems to me that you want to bash conservatives but cannot seem to do it factually. You started off attacking TX because it took stimulus money while ignoring what that stimulus money funded, Federal mandates. Then you claimed that TX should fight the mandates but when I told you that TX was fighting the mandates but had to pay for those mandates in the meantime you moved on to another topic.

    I don't see any liberal wanting a conversation, only continued distortion of reality.
    I'll stop you right there.

    That's not what I said.


  5. #145
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75% Income Tax Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    That way we can just chase 'em right out of the country. I love it.
    That has already been happening. A lot of medium and small companies have moved R&D and production out of the USA. This doesn't make the news because it only affects a few hundred jobs at a time.

    We had a USA based division with several hundred employees and planned to expanded it significantly making the USA our primary location. In 2008, when we saw the direction the country was moving, we took our foot off the accelerator and then, in 2009, we slammed on the brakes. We recently closed everything down except a subsidiary company to handle the USA sales operation. I argued against it since a good portion of our sales are in the USA and I thought it would hurt that business.

    I was wrong. Our competitive position has improved (see note 1) and our USA sales and market share has increased.

    BTW, our USA sub operates just slightly above breakeven. I leave it as an exercise for the class to figure out why.

    I know many other companies that have made the same decision and, of those I know, have not heard from any that are planning to reverse course.


    Note 1: For those who think increasing business costs in the USA is a good thing that means we have lower costs than our USA competitors and can cut prices to underprice them even more when we need to and/or make more money.

    .

  6. #146
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75% Income Tax Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I'll stop you right there.

    That's not what I said.

    Then what exactly does this statement of yours mean if China is not headed in the right direction? You need to be clearer on what you post

    While I absolutely oppose China's government system, there's something to be said about pointing a billion people in a single direction.

    It seems to be working
    .

  7. #147
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75% Income Tax Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Then what exactly does this statement of yours mean if China is not headed in the right direction? You need to be clearer on what you post
    It's not that they're heading the right way politically.

    However I'm looking at the results and not the rhetoric Conservative

    They do have unbelieveble economic growth and have sustained it for a very long time through various means.

    That is all.

    Continue to Spin Champ.

  8. #148
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75% Income Tax Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    It's not that they're heading the right way politically.

    However I'm looking at the results and not the rhetoric Conservative

    They do have unbelieveble economic growth and have sustained it for a very long time through various means.

    That is all.

    Continue to Spin Champ.
    We weren't talking politically. Nothing in this thread discusses politics but instead is all economic.

    What results are you looking at? Percentage change in GDP? Wow, with over three times the population why aren't they generating the same level of dollars in GDP? By the way, what is the average wage in China? Is that what you want here?

  9. #149
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Last Seen
    11-06-13 @ 06:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    234

    Re: Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75% Income Tax Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Yes, that is the theoretical argument. I am not denying that there are benefits to having good corporate citizens in the community. I want them there. We need them there. I want their jobs and their paychecks and their participation in the community which can be very beneficial. Yes, there is a cost/benefit relationship to this.

    Now suppose for a moment that we have a national law which prohibits any level of government from creating a situation which gives an unfair economic or operating advantage to one company over others or gives them breaks or benefits that create an uneven playing field. No local tax breaks. No incentives to move there. No tax abatements. No monetary payments. Nothing from government that creates an unfair advantage or an uneven playing field for other companies.

    What would be the effect of that? Companies would locate where they think they can get good workers, where there are transportation and infrastructure advantages for them, where they feel they can do business and make money. All fifty states and every community within those 50 states would be on the same even playing field.
    Lets pass your national law and play out the ramifications. No longer are communities, municipalities, or states allowed to compete with each other for business. Everyone theoretically will compete at the same level. What happens next?

    One of the first things I see happening is the complete and utter destruction of rural communities and small town America. As our current infrastructure stands now, they have zero chance at competing. A two lane blacktop road 20 miles from a major highway is no logistical match to an interstate highway system to move goods and services to market. Assuming companies don't leave this country in droves, most would relocate to the major metropolitan areas. Their infrastructure advantage alone would now create a playing field that is far less than level.

    Massive inflation would quickly kick in, as the salaries compensate to match the highest paid workers in the richest areas of the country. After all, a level playing field must be followed by wage and price controls. Additionally, the lack of smaller start up organizations to trim costs and reduce prices by locating in favorable business climates would stifle innovation hindering ones ability to compete against major well established corporations. After all, large corporations would benefit from economies of scale that smaller companies cannot. Eliminating the one advantage a smaller company currently has (the flexibility to move to a favorable business climate to help margins) will be the death nail of entrepreneurship in America.

    Areas of the country rich in natural resources would benefit greatly from such a level playing field. Major tourist areas too would enjoy a natural benefit from a 'level playing field'. Think about it, are you more than likely to vacation in Orlando Florida or Rockford, Illinois in January? After all, a business in Rockford, Illinois will no longer be able to offer reduced hotel rates to entice tourism with a level playing field and all.

    As time goes on and unfair business practice allegations are bantered about more and more laws will be passed to 'level the playing field some more'. Various chamber of commerces across the nation will shut down, whole swaths of America would cease to exist and the fabric of society which once bound us together will then start ripping us apart. I could keep going on and on in this theoretical exercise, but I figured you kinda understand where I am coming from and why I believe competition and the ability to compete helps us all; rich and poor alike.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75% Income Tax Hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    It's not that they're heading the right way politically.

    However I'm looking at the results and not the rhetoric Conservative

    They do have unbelieveble economic growth and have sustained it for a very long time through various means.

    That is all.

    Continue to Spin Champ.


    I asked you what results and this is what you offer? A country with three times the population of the United States should have economic growth in dollars greater than the United States plus a standard of living and wages higher than the United States. Can you prove they have both?

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •