Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info

  1. #1
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info

    US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info - Yahoo! News

    U.S. investigators have gone to court to demand details about WikiLeaks' Twitter account, according to documents obtained Saturday the first revelation about the criminal case Washington is trying to build against those who leaked classified U.S. documents.

    ...

    Assange blasted the U.S. move, saying it amounted to harassment, and vowed to fight it.
    So releasing classified documents is OK, but investigating possible criminal activity is harassment.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #2
    User TheLateNightPoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Last Seen
    02-02-11 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    34

    Re: US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info

    There really isn't anything criminal about what he's doing. I'll admit I don't like it, but he is not under United States jurisdiction. In addition, he is only releasing the documents to the public. How did he get these documents? The people that are suppling Assange with these cables are the criminals. They are obviously working inside of our military and they need to be persecuted.

    If Assange was in America, then yes, I'm all for his arrest and such. But he's half way around the world. He is not in our jurisdiction.

  3. #3
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLateNightPoo View Post
    There really isn't anything criminal about what he's doing. I'll admit I don't like it, but he is not under United States jurisdiction. In addition, he is only releasing the documents to the public. How did he get these documents? The people that are suppling Assange with these cables are the criminals. They are obviously working inside of our military and they need to be persecuted.

    If Assange was in America, then yes, I'm all for his arrest and such. But he's half way around the world. He is not in our jurisdiction.
    If Assange or others at wikileaks were involved in the process by which that information was collected, then charges could absolutely be brought regardless of where he is.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #4
    User TheLateNightPoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Last Seen
    02-02-11 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    34

    Re: US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    If Assange or others at wikileaks were involved in the process by which that information was collected, then charges could absolutely be brought regardless of where he is.
    He is not a US citizen nor is he in America. Him and the site are protected by the Swedish Constitution. Of course now we have the capability to have him sent to America for persecution. However, to actually shut down the site and persecute their staff would be a gross violation of another country's Constitution. As much as I disagree with what he's doing, America is quite powerless to do anything.

    And there is no way to prove that Assange, himself, participated in the collection of data. It could've just been given to him. If that is the case [and more likely then not his defense] then we cannot do anything to stop the leaks except tighten up our security at home.

  5. #5
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLateNightPoo View Post
    He is not a US citizen nor is he in America. Him and the site are protected by the Swedish Constitution. Of course now we have the capability to have him sent to America for persecution. However, to actually shut down the site and persecute their staff would be a gross violation of another country's Constitution. As much as I disagree with what he's doing, America is quite powerless to do anything.
    Whether or not he is a US citizen or is located in America has nothing to do with whether he can legally be prosecuted by the US. The Swedish Constitution protects him from the Swedish government. No country's constitution can protect you from being prosecuted for violated of other country's laws.


    And there is no way to prove that Assange, himself, participated in the collection of data. It could've just been given to him.
    Or he could have participated in it. This could be proven via an investigation of the communications between the leakers and wikileaks, which is what the US is doing.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #6
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLateNightPoo View Post
    He is not a US citizen nor is he in America. Him and the site are protected by the Swedish Constitution. Of course now we have the capability to have him sent to America for persecution. However, to actually shut down the site and persecute their staff would be a gross violation of another country's Constitution. As much as I disagree with what he's doing, America is quite powerless to do anything.
    By that logic some one spying on US activity in Europe could not be prosecuted by us. You are entirely wrong.

    And there is no way to prove that Assange, himself, participated in the collection of data. It could've just been given to him. If that is the case [and more likely then not his defense] then we cannot do anything to stop the leaks except tighten up our security at home.
    Why do you think this information is wanted, but to determine if he was involved in the collection of the data or other criminal activity associated with the data. The legal process is being followed. We, the US are at least working within the law.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,898

    Re: US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info

    There is no probable cause.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    There is no probable cause.
    Apparently a judge with more information than you or I felt otherwise.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    There is no probable cause.
    I think that's a matter for the court, not public opinion.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #10
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    US court demands WikiLeaks' Twitter account info - Yahoo! News

    So releasing classified documents is OK, but investigating possible criminal activity is harassment.
    They were not classified, but private.. you cant call documents that over 3 million people have daily access to be "classified".

    As for this case... the story is not that they want Assange's twitter info.. but that they want several other peoples as well, including an Islandic member of Parliaments.
    PeteEU

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •