Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 156

Thread: US Treasury asks Congress to lift debt ceiling

  1. #131
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: US Treasury asks Congress to lift debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Deficit spending on the part of the Govt. has to be paid for and is in debt service and printing more money. It doesn't solve the problem as evidenced by the results. You believe the economy staying about 14 trillion is a good thing when the debt is now almost 100% of GDP?
    Nobody claimed it "solved". Only that is alleviated a depression. Nobody claimed it did not have to be repaid. Two fallacies! How many is that for the day?

    Goldenboy, I lived and worked in the real world.
    As do I!

    Nothing you say is going to change my mind nor the actual results generated. When the GDP is maintained at these levels because of Govt. spending it is the cost that destroys your message.
    Would you have liked it to fall even more? Does 20% U-3 unemployment actually appeal to you, or your ideology?

    If all that govt. spending is so good, let's just completely destroy the private sector and let the govt. run 100% of the economy? Of course you know the reason that isn't done but are too much of an ideologue to admit it.
    Another fallacy. Increased government spending during economic downturns has been implemented by both Reagan and Bush II. You cannot deny it.

    How my ideas are judged here doesn't matter, what matters are the actual results.

    Huh????


    "Your" President has implemented an economic policy boosted by massive govt. spending and has created 4 million more unemployed people and added 3.5 trillion to the debt.
    Obama's policy is responsible for 4 million unemployed people? You can back this up with some sort of tangible evidence other than an ill-informed opinion?

    Those are undeniable facts. All your comments are theory and intellectual psychobabble that doesn't put the food on the table for millions of unemployed Americans including millions more that aren't being counted
    This is the reality of how the economy is composed. If it is over your head, please refrain from attempting to dumb down the conversation with useless drivel.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #132
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,314

    Re: US Treasury asks Congress to lift debt ceiling

    Goldenboy219;1059207055]Nobody claimed it "solved". Only that is alleviated a depression. Nobody claimed it did not have to be repaid. Two fallacies! How many is that for the day?
    Millions of Americans would disagree with you and that is what really matters. How do you know it alleviated a depression and what exactly are you crediting with doing that, TARP or the Stimulus?

    As do I!
    Have seen no evidence of that, only book theory and equations. What business did you run and how many did you employ?


    Would you have liked it to fall even more? Does 20% U-3 unemployment actually appeal to you, or your ideology?
    No one has an accurate number on the real unemployment number. Millions of contractors and small businesses that went out of business weren't counted.

    Another fallacy. Increased government spending during economic downturns has been implemented by both Reagan and Bush II. You cannot deny it.
    Not at these levels and all that spending of Reagan actually got us out of a worse recession than we were in when Obama took office. Reagan did it the right way, tax cuts put money into the hands of the individual taxpayer and spending on national defense. Obama gave the taxpayer a rebate check not a rate cut which served no purpose and prolonged the recession.



    Huh????
    Actual results matter, not how my ideas are judged. BEA.gov, BLS.gov and the U.S. Treasury data is non partisan and shows the results. BEA will give you the four components of GDP, suggest you learn something there.



    Obama's policy is responsible for 4 million unemployed people? You can back this up with some sort of tangible evidence other than an ill-informed opinion?
    Obama claimed his stimulus policy would cap unemployment at 8%. Since implementation the unemployment rate is far exceeded 8%, BLS.gov. You need to stop buying what you are told and think.


    This is the reality of how the economy is composed. If it is over your head, please refrain from attempting to dumb down the conversation with useless drivel.
    Stick with your theory and equations and I will stick to reality and actual numbers.

  3. #133
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: US Treasury asks Congress to lift debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative;1059207079[B
    ]Millions of Americans would disagree with you[/B] and that is what really matters. How do you know it alleviated a depression and what exactly are you crediting with doing that, TARP or the Stimulus?
    Another fallacy (maybe two). Is it possible for you to have a discussion without being blatantly fallacious?

    Deficit spending!

    Have seen no evidence of that, only book theory and equations. What business did you run and how many did you employ?
    This is the internet for christ sake. Would you like me to say, "i ran a $200 million business that employed a 1000 people"? Does a claim made on a message board give validity to ones statements regardless of whether they contain a shred of substance?

    Not at these levels and all that spending of Reagan actually got us out of a worse recession than we were in when Obama took office.
    Every banker, economist, statistician, etc... disagrees with you. (i used a fallacy too!)

    Reagan did it the right way, tax cuts put money into the hands of the individual taxpayer and spending on national defense. Obama gave the taxpayer a rebate check not a rate cut which served no purpose and prolonged the recession.
    Cutting taxes any further would have resulted in a downgrade from the big three credit ratings agencies.

    Actual results matter, not how my ideas are judged. BEA.gov, BLS.gov and the U.S. Treasury data is non partisan and shows the results. BEA will give you the four components of GDP, suggest you learn something there.
    I already referenced BEA product accounts, of which you totally dismissed the "evidence" because it conflicts your ideology.

    Obama claimed his stimulus policy would cap unemployment at 8%. Since implementation the unemployment rate is far exceeded 8%, BLS.gov. You need to stop buying what you are told and think.
    Because he made a bad claim, it caused 4 million people to lose jobs.... Brilliant!


    Stick with your theory and equations and I will stick to reality and actual numbers.
    I live in a world where theory and equations are essential in modeling equity and currency derivatives.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #134
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,314

    Re: US Treasury asks Congress to lift debt ceiling

    Goldenboy219;1059207104]Another fallacy (maybe two). Is it possible for you to have a discussion without being blatantly fallacious?
    Sorry but didn't know that actual facts were fallacious

    Deficit spending!
    Deficit spending has to be paid for whereas private sector spending costs the govt nothing. Deficit spending led to the results we have today, 4 million plus more unemployed and 3.5 trillion added to the debt leading to very meager economic growth



    This is the internet for christ sake. Would you like me to say, "i ran a $200 million business that employed a 1000 people"? Does a claim made on a message board give validity to ones statements regardless of whether they contain a shred of substance?
    You could say it but your posts would show that to be a lie. you don't understand human behavior but you sure understand theory and equations. Human behavior will always trump your assumptions.

    Every banker, economist, statistician, etc... disagrees with you. (i used a fallacy too!)
    Wow, I disagree with bankers, economists, and statisticians? How will I ever live with that disappointment? Seems all those that you named live in a dream world that ignores reality. The results speak for themselves.


    Cutting taxes any further would have resulted in a downgrade from the big three credit ratings agencies.
    Says those same people? Raising taxes isn't going to increase taxpayers. Wonder why you have such a problem keeping more of what you earn and if you believe your take home pay is an expense to the govt?



    I already referenced BEA product accounts, of which you totally dismissed the "evidence" because it conflicts your ideology.
    Didn't dismiss it at all, BEA is credible and shows very meager economic growth and where that growth is occurring. How is govt. spending benefiting anyone when it is offset by debt service and a decrease in the value of the dollar?



    Because he made a bad claim, it caused 4 million people to lose jobs.... Brilliant!
    He created bad economic policy and that caused the increase in unemployment. Obama lied and 4 million more people lost their jobs. he got shellacked in Nov.


    I live in a world where theory and equations are essential in modeling equity and currency derivatives.
    There are millions of unemployed who can tell you what exactly to do with your theory and modeling.

  5. #135
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 06:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    56

    Re: US Treasury asks Congress to lift debt ceiling

    Why would they not request to have the debt ceiling raised? How many times has the debt ceiling been raised anyway?

  6. #136
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 06:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    56

    Re: US Treasury asks Congress to lift debt ceiling

    And one more thing? How much US debt does China own?

  7. #137
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: US Treasury asks Congress to lift debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    And therin lies the root problem. The govt is not a business and does not have to make a profit (or even break even) ,
    Wrong... The Government IS required to balance the yearly budget. If they spend more than they take in, the Fed Reserve makes up the difference. As evidenced by no deficit carry-over to the next years budget.

    It's essential for the Fed Reserve to balance the budget every year. Can you imagine what our world wide credit rating would drop to if we reported a yearly carry-over deficit?

    ricksfolly

  8. #138
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,314

    Re: US Treasury asks Congress to lift debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    Wrong... The Government IS required to balance the yearly budget. If they spend more than they take in, the Fed Reserve makes up the difference. As evidenced by no deficit carry-over to the next years budget.

    It's essential for the Fed Reserve to balance the budget every year. Can you imagine what our world wide credit rating would drop to if we reported a yearly carry-over deficit?

    ricksfolly
    Where on earth did you get the idea that the Federal Govt. has to balance their budget every year? If they did there wouldn't be a 14 trillion dollar debt. I believe the Federal Govt. should balance the budget yearly there is no such mandate. States have them plus states have term limits. The Federal Govt. has neither.

  9. #139
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: US Treasury asks Congress to lift debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Where on earth did you get the idea that the Federal Govt. has to balance their budget every year? If they did there wouldn't be a 14 trillion dollar debt.
    From what I understand, the rising National Debt is caused by what the Fed Reserve spends for many different causes, usually short term, TARP, and other strapped gov agencies...

    ricksfolly

  10. #140
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,314

    Re: US Treasury asks Congress to lift debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    From what I understand, the rising National Debt is caused by what the Fed Reserve spends for many different causes, usually short term, TARP, and other strapped gov agencies...

    ricksfolly
    Wrong, the National Debt is caused by the U.S. Govt. spending more money than it takes in. The Federal Reserve doesn't spend a dime, it is the Congress that spends the money and creates the debt. Notice the difference between revenue and expenses?

    Receipt 2010

    Individual Income tax 898.5
    Corporate Taxes 191.4

    Total 1089.9

    SS/Unemploy/Other 864.8

    Excise Taxes 66.9


    2021.6

    Expenses

    Defense 696.1
    International Affairs 45.2
    Gen. Science, Space 30.9
    Energy 11.5
    Natural resources/env 41.6
    Agriculture 23.2
    Commerce -82.9
    Transportation 92.5
    Community Dev 24.5
    Education/Train/Social 125.1
    Health 369
    Medicare 451.6
    Income Security 624
    Social Security 706.7
    Veterans Benefits 108.4
    Justice 55.2
    General Govt. 18.1
    Net Interest 196.9


    Total 3537.6

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •