Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 159

Thread: Sixth-Grade Girl Has Date in Court After Writing in Wet Cement

  1. #51
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Sixth-Grade Girl Has Date in Court After Writing in Wet Cement Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Wherein did I say that?

    There is a difference, between wet cement, a fascination to children the world over, and getting your hands on a can of spray paint and vandalizing property.

    You're now trying to alter the subject with further distortions of what I said and why. Are you that incapable of being honest?
    Well of course there's a difference. Apparently one cost your uncle a lot of money and one you don't have any connection to.

    It's the same exact action. The only difference is in the dollar value of the damage. Is that what you teach your kids? It's okay to shoplift a candy bar, but not a coat?
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sixth-Grade Girl Has Date in Court After Writing in Wet Cement Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Who do you think removes that filth from municipal property? The Graffiti fairy?

    And businesses. My Uncles business got tagged about three years ago, the entire back of the place sprayed. Cost him 20k to have it removed and painted over. He had to raise prices in the store to cover the loss.
    Ok, I see what you mean. I recognize that graffiti is costly, but it is also a part of our culture. I figure it is the cost of doing business. Perhaps your uncle should relocate. As far as munipal property goes, I think it brightens up an otherwise drab presentation, with statements about politics, environment and urban culture. The government should pay the graffiti artists to do what they do.

  3. #53
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,145

    Re: Sixth-Grade Girl Has Date in Court After Writing in Wet Cement Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Ok, I see what you mean. I recognize that graffiti is costly, but it is also a part of our culture. I figure it is the cost of doing business. Perhaps your uncle should relocate. As far as munipal property goes, I think it brightens up an otherwise drab presentation, with statements about politics, environment and urban culture. The government should pay the graffiti artists to do what they do.
    probably needs to be another thread, but how do you feel about graffiti which marks gang territory
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #54
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Sixth-Grade Girl Has Date in Court After Writing in Wet Cement Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Well of course there's a difference. Apparently one cost your uncle a lot of money and one you don't have any connection to.

    It's the same exact action. The only difference is in the dollar value of the damage. Is that what you teach your kids? It's okay to shoplift a candy bar, but not a coat?
    Sigh

    You're a very dishonest person, and are now further taking the discussion away from what I said and asked you to apologize for lying about, into your own false absurdities to try and avoid admitting your lied about what I said.

    I never said what these children did wasn't wrong. I said what the police did was over reacted. I used this thing called common sense, and practical judgment. Kids + Wet Cement = names and initials and dates.

    The appropriate response would be for the police to have told them they were doing something wrong, send them on their way and call the folks that laid the cement to smooth it over. If they were REALLY worked up about it, ccall the parents to pick the kids up at the scene and have a talk with the kids about it.

    Making them "write an essay" is stupid, I'd of told the officer to **** off personally.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sixth-Grade Girl Has Date in Court After Writing in Wet Cement Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    probably needs to be another thread, but how do you feel about graffiti which marks gang territory
    It's tribal. I don't have any first hand experience of it. It is a symptom of the existence of gangs. The reasons for the existence of gangs seem to be broad and varied: lack of job opportunities, disdain for education, living in rough neighborhoods with other gangs, making money selling drugs, sticking together with your mates, controlled violence. How do you address those issues to fix a graffiti problem?

  6. #56
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Sixth-Grade Girl Has Date in Court After Writing in Wet Cement Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    It's tribal. I don't have any first hand experience of it. It is a symptom of the existence of gangs. The reasons for the existence of gangs seem to be broad and varied: lack of job opportunities, disdain for education, living in rough neighborhoods with other gangs, making money selling drugs, sticking together with your mates, controlled violence. How do you address those issues to fix a graffiti problem?
    It's a cultural problem.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #57
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Sixth-Grade Girl Has Date in Court After Writing in Wet Cement Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Sigh

    You're a very dishonest person, and are now further taking the discussion away from what I said and asked you to apologize for lying about, into your own false absurdities to try and avoid admitting your lied about what I said.

    I never said what these children did wasn't wrong. I said what the police did was over reacted. I used this thing called common sense, and practical judgment. Kids + Wet Cement = names and initials and dates.

    The appropriate response would be for the police to have told them they were doing something wrong, send them on their way and call the folks that laid the cement to smooth it over. If they were REALLY worked up about it, ccall the parents to pick the kids up at the scene and have a talk with the kids about it.

    Making them "write an essay" is stupid, I'd of told the officer to **** off personally.
    I feel like maybe you are not aware of the definition of a "lie" or "dishonesty." I've found Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online to be very helpful when I'm not sure what a word means. On the slight chance that you are aware of the correct definition of those words, you are welcome to point out where I have either lied or been dishonest.

    Kids+spray can=graffiti on your uncle's building. Should they have just been sent on their way too?

    These kids learned a valuable lesson of the consequences of illegal activities. They got a scare, some futher punishments and were sent on their way.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  8. #58
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Sixth-Grade Girl Has Date in Court After Writing in Wet Cement Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Is this the way you handle your own children?
    My kid's still gestating at the moment so I haven't had the opportunity to use the "put the kid to work fixing that which they ****ed up" approach with him just yet, but I plan on using many of the same methods my father employed with my own kids. I think it taught me quite a bit about the value of property and hard work.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #59
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Sixth-Grade Girl Has Date in Court After Writing in Wet Cement Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    And that's where you and I differ.

    If these were OLDER kids, like 15 and up... I'd agree. These were 6th graders, fascinated with wet cement. It wasn't criminal mischief, it was judgment lacking kids having fun.
    I was once a sixth grader who was facinated with fire. I went to a friend's house and we started burning GI Joe guys in his backyard. Man was that fun. Luckily, I was smart enough to have a hose handy when we were doing it, because we barely got the fire out before it destroyed his parent's garage.

    I ended up getting off lucky. My old man made me work most of that summer cleaning up construction sites in order to get enough money to replace the garage door (which was damaged while me and my friend were having fun).




    There was NO NEED to haul them to the station, no need for any of this BS.
    It's not BS, it's criminal damage to property. Just because you did it when you were a kid doesn't mean it was right.

    Proper solution, talk to the kids, explain what they did was wrong, call the folks that laid the cement to smooth out the names and end of story.
    It doesn't work that way. First, it's very time-sensitive. The peopel who poured the sidewalk are probably working on another job and won't be able to drop everything in order to come out and refinish it, plus it's probably dried too much for a proper refinish anyway, unless th ekids showed up immediately after it was poured.

    More likely, it'll be too dry to just repair by the time someone shows up, and any attempt to repair it will look roughshod and will end up chipping and getting all ****ed up.

    In order to do a proper job, it'll more than likely require replacing an entire section between the expansion joints of th edamaged portion of the sidewalk.

    It's often a whole lot easier to get graffiti off of a wall than it is to repair this kind of vandalism.

    Maybe even find out who the parents are and call them to pick their kids up at the scene to teach a lesson.
    **** that. You talk about wasting resources and then expect the cops to sit around babysitting while a bunch of parents get to gether to meet their kids out by th escene of the crime? It's a hell of a lot more efficeint financially for the cops to bring th ekids back to teh station to call their parents and then teh cops are not wasting their time baby sitting and they can get back to doing important stuff.


    My problem here is over reaction by the police. Period.
    The cops had exactly the right reaction. Tax dollars shouldn't go towards babysitting these kids while their parents come from god knows where to pick them up, and children who commit crimes should not simply be let go on their own recognizance.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #60
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Sixth-Grade Girl Has Date in Court After Writing in Wet Cement Read more: http:/

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    but what if they are children of those who make simple mided sweeping generalizations?
    Same thing as those who can't spell.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •