Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 610

Thread: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

  1. #581
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyroh View Post
    sorry to inform you but defense is actually much closer to 1/3 of the budget. it's pretty clear that DoD is 1/6 of it, but once you add all the other stuff that's directly related to defense, such as homeland security, state department payoffs, energy department's nuclear weapons development and others it gets to at least 1/3 of the budget. when you add the interest payments on the debt this causes it goes even higher. DoD spending is about the same as the rest of the world's defense spending combined. 50% of global defense spending for 5% of the population. you two sit here and squabble about how much more we pay for health care. how about how much more we pay to protect us? for the rest of the world to match us percapita they'd have to increase their spending ten fold.
    Even if Defense is a 1/3 of the budget that means that 2/3 goes for secondary issues that our Founders believed belonged in the states not the Central Govt. Read the Preamble, Provide for the Common Defense and PROMOTE Domestic Welfare. Our Politicians have made promote provide and then they apply the general welfare clause to individuals instead of the country.

  2. #582
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Read it carefully. INpatient and out patient areas have been established at hospitals. People are nto going there for a lack of doctors, but because they have changed the nature of hospitals. Some see it as faster. We have done the same thing here in Iowa without the MA reform. You have not proven anything yet.
    Read the numbers, healthcare costs are up as are ER expenses AFTER MA Universal Healthcare

  3. #583
    Student Zyroh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-11 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    237

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    yup. which is why as we now face a much much much bigger deficit problem, we need to make sure we see deep, significant, and lasting spending cuts long before we ever agree to tax increases.
    this is exactly why no one, no matter what party, is for a smaller government until they're for cutting spending. whether it's defense or other, if you increase spending, even if you cut taxes, you're increasing the size of government. debt is just taxes we gotta pay in the future. hell it's worse, it's the bill we gotta pay plus interest, and it's passing the bill on to someone else.
    Democracy is two wolves and sheep voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep willing to contest the vote.

  4. #584
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Read the numbers, healthcare costs are up as are ER expenses AFTER MA Universal Healthcare
    Do you have a comparison with before? And again, that's not exactly what the numbers say. Read your article again:

    Greater availability and use of academic medical centers for both inpatient and outpatient hospital based-services, and use of outpatient hospital-based facilities for some services that could be provided in less costly settings;

    It does not report that there are no doctors available.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #585
    Student Zyroh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-11 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    237

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Even if Defense is a 1/3 of the budget that means that 2/3 goes for secondary issues that our Founders believed belonged in the states not the Central Govt. Read the Preamble, Provide for the Common Defense and PROMOTE Domestic Welfare. Our Politicians have made promote provide and then they apply the general welfare clause to individuals instead of the country.
    hey, i agree with you on the rights and responsibilities of the states. but you've gotta be blind if you want smaller government but ever increasing defense spending. a quick history lesson for you, conservatives weren't war mongers till the 60's and william f buckley. conservatives like to note that jfk wouldn't be a democrat today, well any conservative from the 30's-50's wouldn't be a republican today because they advocate preemptive wars, nation building, and global policing.
    Last edited by Zyroh; 01-14-11 at 04:56 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    Democracy is two wolves and sheep voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep willing to contest the vote.

  6. #586
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Do you have a comparison with before? And again, that's not exactly what the numbers say. Read your article again:

    Greater availability and use of academic medical centers for both inpatient and outpatient hospital based-services, and use of outpatient hospital-based facilities for some services that could be provided in less costly settings;

    It does not report that there are no doctors available.
    The state of MA has the numbers, get them, the state shows spending on healthcare UP and ER usage up. You choose to bury your head in the sand but if this is what you want, then implement it in your state and leve mine alone. It will never pass in TX.

  7. #587
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyroh View Post
    hey, i agree with you on the rights and responsibilities of the states. but you've gotta be blind if you want smaller government but ever increasing defense spending. a quick history lesson for you, conservatives weren't war mongers till the 60's and william f buckley. conservatives like to note that jfk wouldn't be a democrat today, well any conservative from the 30's-50's wouldn't be a republican today because they advocate preemptive wars, nation building, and global policing.
    9/11 cost this country over a trillion dollars according to GAO. Do we need a 660 billion Defense Dept. maybe now but then again we don't need a 3.6 trillion dollar govt.

  8. #588
    Student Zyroh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-11 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    237

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    9/11 cost this country over a trillion dollars according to GAO. Do we need a 660 billion Defense Dept. maybe now but then again we don't need a 3.6 trillion dollar govt.
    using 9/11 to justify extra spending won't go far with me. it's been a flawed argument for almost a decade now, that's not gonna change.
    Democracy is two wolves and sheep voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep willing to contest the vote.

  9. #589
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The state of MA has the numbers, get them, the state shows spending on healthcare UP and ER usage up. You choose to bury your head in the sand but if this is what you want, then implement it in your state and leve mine alone. It will never pass in TX.
    Of course they would be up as more people are covered. But that isn't your claim. You claim there are no doctors to see them. Please support that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #590
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyroh View Post
    using 9/11 to justify extra spending won't go far with me. it's been a flawed argument for almost a decade now, that's not gonna change.
    Whether it changes your mind or not is irrelevant, those are the numbers. The purpose of our govt. is to protect and defend us and to relive the reasons for going into Iraq or Afghanistan now are worthless. Obama has increased the defense budget which is higher than any Bush defense budget including supplementals. I have a bigger problem with entitlements than I have with Defense, always have and always will

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •