Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 610

Thread: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

  1. #501
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    That is way above the typical liberal's head to comprehend. Their live for today attitude will be the death of this economy and nation.
    Now there is a convincing argument. Those who disagree with you are just stupid, and probably mouth breathers too.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #502
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Now there is a convincing argument. Those who disagree with you are just stupid, and probably mouth breathers too.
    The convincing argument comes from the results but it is fruitless to post those results as you ignore them.

  3. #503
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So my question is to liberals that go on endlessly in what we need, and what we don't, and how conservatives must see it their way in order to even have a discussion, (which is BS but I digress),

    What Cuts specifically are you talking about?

    What taxes would have to be raised, and how much?

    What are your thoughts on a Balanced Budget Amendment?

    And what are your models to show that your proposals have actually worked and are sound?


    j-mac
    First, liberals see things no more this way than republicans. Some republiecans have said here that you either agree with them, or you're stupid. But I digress.

    What cuts are we talking about?
    No matter what party you're in, or not in, that is always the question. Neither party or anyone else for that wants to say. But cuts that don't address Medicaid / Medicare, SS and military spending are meaningless. That is where the discussion starts. For me, the first place to start is with the two wars and nation building we are currently involved in.

    What taxes would have to be raised, and how much?
    A retrun to the pre-Bush tax cuts rates would be a fine start. They were not oppressive then and wouldn't be now.

    What are your thoughts on a Balanced Budget Amendment?
    When it ever gets voted one, the exact language would matter, but in principle, paying for what you get is reasonable and responsible. Eventually, that has to be the goal.

    And what are your models to show that your proposals have actually worked and are sound?
    I'm kind of bouncing back and forth between things right now, and would want to be more specific on this question. So, I'll wait on it for a time. But I will say, there is much out there on this, and with as sound support and disagreement as what republicans promote now. Specifics are what will always need to be debated. And it has been shown that in the past, we've done well and poorly with no proof that taxes effected either significantly.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 01-14-11 at 12:26 PM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #504
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Please cite your experience in what other countries are doing and whether or not they are successful? You seem to like other countries so much better than what you have here so tell us what makes you an expert on foreign operations?
    Experience? So, I can't point to others who have experience and use them? Are both of us exempt from doing that?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #505
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Experience? So, I can't point to others who have experience and use them? Are both of us exempt from doing that?
    I posted a number of links yesterday to Sweden and Canada healthcare problems which you ignored. You claim Europe is doing well but ignore what Europe is doing. Why the passion for Obamacare?

  6. #506
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    First, liberals see things no more this way than republicans. Some republiecans have said here that you either agree with them, or you're stupid. But I digress.



    No matter what party you're in, or not in, that is always the question. Neither party or anyone else for that wants to say. But cuts that don't address Medicaid / Medicare, SS and military spending are meaningless. That is where the discussion starts. For me, the first place to start is with the two wars and nation building we are currently involved in.



    A retrun to the pre-Bush tax cuts rates would be a fine start. They were not oppressive then and wouldn't be now.



    When it ever gets voted one, the exact language would matter, but in principle, paying for what you get is reasonable and responsible. Eventually, that has to be the goal.



    I'm kind of bouncing back and forth between things right now, and would want to be more specific on this question. So, I'll wait on it for a time. But I will say, there is much out there on this, and with as sound support and disagreement as what republicans promote now. Specifics are what will always need to be debated. And it has been shown that in the past, we've done well and poorly with no proof that taxes effected either significantly.
    How does going back to pre Bush tax rates help the economy and put 16 million people back to work?

  7. #507
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    How does going back to pre Bush tax rates help the economy and put 16 million people back to work?
    Haven't we been through this before? Taxes, cut or increase, neither one, put anyone back to work. What it helps is the deficit.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #508
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I posted a number of links yesterday to Sweden and Canada healthcare problems which you ignored. You claim Europe is doing well but ignore what Europe is doing. Why the passion for Obamacare?
    I don't recall seeing them. So, I guess by not seeing them I ignored them. But if you actually read what I write, you would see that I don't claim any system is perfect, so I would expect all of them to have problems. So do we. And I have spoken to Europe. Like the US, much of the world, including Europe, are having struggles, but to suggest that this is because of health care would be to lie, a bold faced lie. You can't divorce all the other factors from the total, and all of us are experiencing them. But, with these problems, and the fact that we spend more on health care, exactly why would you prefer spending more than less?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #509
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Haven't we been through this before? Taxes, cut or increase, neither one, put anyone back to work. What it helps is the deficit.
    Yes, and still you don't understand incentive and human behavior, even your own. It is beyond your ability to even understand what you do when you get to keep more of what you earn and how that affects the economy. Until consumers spend more 16 million people will remain unemployed or not looking for jobs. Raising taxes won't help create consumer spending.

  10. #510
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't recall seeing them. So, I guess by not seeing them I ignored them. But if you actually read what I write, you would see that I don't claim any system is perfect, so I would expect all of them to have problems. So do we. And I have spoken to Europe. Like the US, much of the world, including Europe, are having struggles, but to suggest that this is because of health care would be to lie, a bold faced lie. You can't divorce all the other factors from the total, and all of us are experiencing them. But, with these problems, and the fact that we spend more on health care, exactly why would you prefer spending more than less?
    Nice diversion, you saw them but as usual ignored them. I suggest doing better research on your own as to what Europe is doing with their healthcare systems and how they are trying to unravel the massive costs of those systems. Now there you go again back to costs without actually defining costs. Which is it today, costs or access?

Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •