Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 610

Thread: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

  1. #361
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If you were around and paying attention before Clinton was elected, Blue Cross suggested that they be the private enitity to do just that. It's certainly possible, if unliely.
    There are a lot of private insurance companies that would love to run a single payer system but there is no evidence there either that they could do it any better for 308 million Americans. You continue to double talk, on one side you are stating that maybe states should be doing this and then on the other you are supporting Obamacare so which is it?

    Now per this thread topic we know that anyone promoting the CBO numbers of Obamacare as being accurate are the real problem here and are naive, gullible, and very misinformed. There is no way that Obamacare will cut healthcare costs as the assumptions given the CBO aren't accurate.

  2. #362
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    There are a lot of private insurance companies that would love to run a single payer system but there is no evidence there either that they could do it any better for 308 million Americans. You continue to double talk, on one side you are stating that maybe states should be doing this and then on the other you are supporting Obamacare so which is it?

    Now per this thread topic we know that anyone promoting the CBO numbers of Obamacare as being accurate are the real problem here and are naive, gullible, and very misinformed. There is no way that Obamacare will cut healthcare costs as the assumptions given the CBO aren't accurate.
    I know you want to deal in absolutes. It's easier that way. But, if we can work out states actually addressing the problem, fine. But states are as pushed or more so than the federal government and have not effectively addressed the issue. In their absence, the feds can rightly step in and suggest another solution. As this is something larger than the states, I'm fine with a federal universal payer, be it the government or a private industry.

    As for my support of health care reform, I only support it as a first step, and am not willing to go back to no reform.

    Now, as for the CBO, I don't think anyone sees those numbers as the perfect and absolute fact. But, such numbers do give us some information. And other sources that have looked at this have also been offered. When you deal in absolutes, as you often try to do, you too often end up wrong, inaccurate.

    Does this help?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #363
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I know you want to deal in absolutes. It's easier that way. But, if we can work out states actually addressing the problem, fine. But states are as pushed or more so than the federal government and have not effectively addressed the issue. In their absence, the feds can rightly step in and suggest another solution. As this is something larger than the states, I'm fine with a federal universal payer, be it the government or a private industry.

    As for my support of health care reform, I only support it as a first step, and am not willing to go back to no reform.

    Now, as for the CBO, I don't think anyone sees those numbers as the perfect and absolute fact. But, such numbers do give us some information. And other sources that have looked at this have also been offered. When you deal in absolutes, as you often try to do, you too often end up wrong, inaccurate.

    Does this help?
    Life is about making tough choices and that seems to be a problem with liberals. If it is such a big problem in the states then it is the people of the states that need to demand it but don't seem to see it as the problem you do. Seems like this is a hot button issue with you yet as I pointed out it is a local issue not a federal issue since the expenses are paid for in the states not by the federal taxpayer. Although your concern about what I pay in Texas is admirable it doesn't cost you a dime.

    Again as has been proven CBO has never been right in making projections 10 years out thus they aren't right now. The assumptions are flawed in so many ways and the cost savings aren't going to happen, many of which aren't savings at all, just transferred to the states.

  4. #364
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    In Canada similar lies were told in order to pass national health care and they mostly surrounded saving a lot of money and how inexpensive it would be. I see something similar happening now in the States,

    Review & Outlook: ObamaCare's Reality Deficit - WSJ.com
    I agree... Obama is America's Trudeau. Just as arrogant and destructive.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  5. #365
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    like i said, both sides will have to have some skin in the game, and that means everything is fair game, INCLUDING DEFENSE SPENDING....and again, if you think the republicans are just going to cut programs that dems favor, YOUR DELUDING YOURSELF.
    I know Gates is looking at cutting, but I think we could spend more on the military. What needs cutting is the fat pig Dems have largely created. I don't think a lot of Dems will go for it, but that's fine. Let them kneecap themselves for 2012. We don't need a D vote in the House, and only a handful in the Senate.

    Let Obama and his party run trying to defend a program the American people don't want, and was sleazily passed.

    J'us du ette.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Exactly what I keep saying. Canada spends less per capita, and so do the nations of Europe. Yet, whenever anyone talks about a US national health care modeled after Canada or Europe, we start getting cries of "socialism", and statements about how much it will cost. So called "obamacare" brought absurd rants about "death panels" and "offing grandma", Hillarycare brought ads showing busloads of Canadians coming south for health care unavalable there. It seems a rational debate on the issue of health care is just not possible.
    The rational debate is simple. Answer a few questions:
    Since when has government done anything better than the private sector? More effective? Cheaper?

    If you want to make Doctors wards of the state, limited by government as to what they can earn, what services they can provide... what about your business? Why not have all businesses under government control? Why just medical practitioners?

    Canada is a third rate system with waiting lists that extend from here to eternity. And when the US system is perverted like the Canadian system has been perverted in a few short decades... tell me... where will the Canadians go?

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 01-10-11 at 05:18 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  6. #366
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Life is about making tough choices and that seems to be a problem with liberals. If it is such a big problem in the states then it is the people of the states that need to demand it but don't seem to see it as the problem you do. Seems like this is a hot button issue with you yet as I pointed out it is a local issue not a federal issue since the expenses are paid for in the states not by the federal taxpayer. Although your concern about what I pay in Texas is admirable it doesn't cost you a dime.

    Again as has been proven CBO has never been right in making projections 10 years out thus they aren't right now. The assumptions are flawed in so many ways and the cost savings aren't going to happen, many of which aren't savings at all, just transferred to the states.
    To make tough choices, you actually have to step to the table. Here we only discuss things away from the table. So, none of us make tough choices HERE.

    That said, we have a long history concerning health care. This concern didn't just start with this reform effort. It goes back a long way. And all during that time, little has been done. So, it seems time to me for someone to step up. Whether you agree with with Obama or not, he did step up and try to actually do something. But, he did have to work with congress, a real handicap.

    And yes, it is an important issue for me. I've worked in health care for many years. More on a volunteer basis these days. My family is heavily involved in health care. While we debate the issue passionately, with many disagreements, one thing we all agree on, from the doctors to the nurses, is that reform, major reform, is needed. And that no one has done anything effective in decades.

    As for the CBO numbers, I stand by what I wrote before. Any numbers we get will likely prove different at the end of the day, especially if we do something different. But that doesn't mean we ignore the numbers.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #367
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    To make tough choices, you actually have to step to the table. Here we only discuss things away from the table. So, none of us make tough choices HERE.

    That said, we have a long history concerning health care. This concern didn't just start with this reform effort. It goes back a long way. And all during that time, little has been done. So, it seems time to me for someone to step up. Whether you agree with with Obama or not, he did step up and try to actually do something. But, he did have to work with congress, a real handicap.

    And yes, it is an important issue for me. I've worked in health care for many years. More on a volunteer basis these days. My family is heavily involved in health care. While we debate the issue passionately, with many disagreements, one thing we all agree on, from the doctors to the nurses, is that reform, major reform, is needed. And that no one has done anything effective in decades.

    As for the CBO numbers, I stand by what I wrote before. Any numbers we get will likely prove different at the end of the day, especially if we do something different. But that doesn't mean we ignore the numbers.
    I have yet to see anything in your posts that recognize that healthcare costs are paid for by the taxpayers of the individual states and not the Federal taxpayer thus your argument should be with your state and not the national level. As has been proven with Medicare, Medicaid, and SS managed by the Federal Govt. all cost more than intended and are filled with waste, fraud, and abuse. All are funded by their own taxes however. That is contrary to what Obama has proposed as he attempts again to provide a Federal Solution to a particular state and local issue which it has never been effecient at doing.

    Now as for CBO no one is saying not to pay attention to the CBO but I am saying that one needs to recognize the record of the CBO in making projections like this. Those projections have to be made based upon the assumptions given them by Congress and thus are based upon the policies in place now. So much of the CBO projections come from assumptions that Congress has made based upon human behavior and thus the fallacy of their projections. Address the assumptions given and tell me which assumptions do you believe are accurate and which aren't? What do those assumptions mean to the accuracy if proven wrong?

  8. #368
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I have yet to see anything in your posts that recognize that healthcare costs are paid for by the taxpayers of the individual states and not the Federal taxpayer thus your argument should be with your state and not the national level. As has been proven with Medicare, Medicaid, and SS managed by the Federal Govt. all cost more than intended and are filled with waste, fraud, and abuse. All are funded by their own taxes however. That is contrary to what Obama has proposed as he attempts again to provide a Federal Solution to a particular state and local issue which it has never been effecient at doing.

    Now as for CBO no one is saying not to pay attention to the CBO but I am saying that one needs to recognize the record of the CBO in making projections like this. Those projections have to be made based upon the assumptions given them by Congress and thus are based upon the policies in place now. So much of the CBO projections come from assumptions that Congress has made based upon human behavior and thus the fallacy of their projections. Address the assumptions given and tell me which assumptions do you believe are accurate and which aren't? What do those assumptions mean to the accuracy if proven wrong?
    What makes you think health care is paid for by taxes alone? When the hospitals increases it's billing number because it is treating people who can't pay, is that a state tax or a federal tax that pays for it? No, it's covered by increased insurance premiums. And if youn pay for it yourself, you pay a higher bill at the hospital.

    The problem is larger than the states and exists in all 50 states. And states have not effectively tackled the problem. To date, neither have the feds. But I respect an effort more than I do a call to do nothing.

    And i see no evidence people don't know the history of the CBO or understand exactly what their numbers represent.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #369
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    What makes you think health care is paid for by taxes alone? When the hospitals increases it's billing number because it is treating people who can't pay, is that a state tax or a federal tax that pays for it? No, it's covered by increased insurance premiums. And if youn pay for it yourself, you pay a higher bill at the hospital.

    The problem is larger than the states and exists in all 50 states. And states have not effectively tackled the problem. To date, neither have the feds. But I respect an effort more than I do a call to do nothing.

    And i see no evidence people don't know the history of the CBO or understand exactly what their numbers represent.
    You continue to fight a losing argument here, healthcare remains a state and local issue, you want to make it national. Nothing you have stated changes the fact that healthcare costs in the State of TX are paid for by the people of TX either through higher premiums or higher taxes. ER services for illegals' for example are paid for by our taxes and come right out of the county funds. I suggest you focus on your local state and solve the problem there instead of looking to the Federal Govt. solving what is a local problem now.

    If people know what the CBO numbers represent it sure isn't evident in the argument that repeal of the healthcare bill will add to the deficit because of the savings in that healthcare bill. Glad to see you don't buy those savings, good for you.

  10. #370
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You continue to fight a losing argument here, healthcare remains a state and local issue, you want to make it national. Nothing you have stated changes the fact that healthcare costs in the State of TX are paid for by the people of TX either through higher premiums or higher taxes. ER services for illegals' for example are paid for by our taxes and come right out of the county funds. I suggest you focus on your local state and solve the problem there instead of looking to the Federal Govt. solving what is a local problem now.

    If people know what the CBO numbers represent it sure isn't evident in the argument that repeal of the healthcare bill will add to the deficit because of the savings in that healthcare bill. Glad to see you don't buy those savings, good for you.
    What I have argued, and correctly I think, is that the problem is in all fifty states, and that it is a national problem. And certainly if we did go to a universal payer, it would be paid for by every single person in the nation.

    And no, while the CBO numbers may not be exact, they do present something to consider. Remember, I linked another who gave who made a similar argument with out the CBO numbers. There is little doubt it will be costly to repeal the refrom. Exactly how costly may be debatable. But there is enough information out there to suggest it will costly. The CBO is just another set of numbers.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •