Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 610

Thread: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

  1. #221
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    There are actually 2 sides to this story.

    1) If we don't raise the debt ceiling, then the US defaults on all it's debt, thus causing a financial panic that would be even worse than the Great Depression.

    2) If we do raise the debt ceiling, then the US is only delaying the inevitable.

    Fact is, there is no way in hell we are ever going to be able to pay back what we owe. So let's just default now. Yes, it will hurt like hell, but better to bite the bullet now, than put it off to a future date, when the result will be even worse.

    And, when it comes time to pay the piper, whether now, or in the future, we had better damn well hope that we have learned our lesson, and finally begin to start living within our means. There are NO money trees. The money we are spending now has to come from someplace, and when we spend recklessly, that money comes directly from the asses that we are all putting on the line, and are soon going to be handed to us. When it all hits the fan, then let's make a point of never acting so fiscally irresponsible, ever again. After all, it's OUR asses.

    My opinion? Time to bite the bullet, folks.
    Do you mind if I ask what your current economic situation is?
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Guess what? The video said absolutely nothing about Obama wanting to kill off seniors. How about you stop making up s*** that's not true? Once again, I ask you to provide proof that Obama himself said or implied that he wanted to kill of seniors.
    Thank you.

    j-mac sure went to great lengths to say nothing about saying nothing. He amuses me.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post





    And that's what it comes down too, Folks. Soon that will be the response to heart transplants, hip replacements, and then ever lesser ailments. And of course while all this is going on the government and the left will want more control over what you eat, drink, and so on. That's already happening of course but it is not yet prohibited under law.

    Wherever you have national health care this will be the response by many. Obamacare hasn't even taken effect and already decisions are being made as to who should live and who should die.
    Heart transplants to patients with other serious health issues, maybe. Hip replacements, no, that's just routine surgery. As for taking away choices, no, that doesn't work either. If the patient wants a procedure that the rest of us aren't willing to pay for, he/she can pay for it himself. The patient is in control.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #224
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    There are actually 2 sides to this story.

    1) If we don't raise the debt ceiling, then the US defaults on all it's debt, thus causing a financial panic that would be even worse than the Great Depression.

    2) If we do raise the debt ceiling, then the US is only delaying the inevitable.

    Fact is, there is no way in hell we are ever going to be able to pay back what we owe. So let's just default now. Yes, it will hurt like hell, but better to bite the bullet now, than put it off to a future date, when the result will be even worse.

    And, when it comes time to pay the piper, whether now, or in the future, we had better damn well hope that we have learned our lesson, and finally begin to start living within our means. There are NO money trees. The money we are spending now has to come from someplace, and when we spend recklessly, that money comes directly from the asses that we are all putting on the line, and are soon going to be handed to us. When it all hits the fan, then let's make a point of never acting so fiscally irresponsible, ever again. After all, it's OUR asses.

    My opinion? Time to bite the bullet, folks.
    yes, it's time to bite the bullet.

    Right after WWII, the national debt, as a percentage of GDP, was a lot higher than it is now, and yet we were able to pay it down. It can be done. Whether it will or not remains to be seen. It all depends on whether the leadership of this nation can convince the public to "bite the bullet." It is going to take spending cuts, as well as tax increases.

    The Democrats' mantra of "tax the rich" is about as disingenuous as the Republicans' assertion that lowering taxes will solve all our problems. It is going to take some real effort to climb out of the hole we're currently in.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #225
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The Democrats' mantra of "tax the rich" is about as disingenuous as the Republicans' assertion that lowering taxes will solve all our problems. It is going to take some real effort to climb out of the hole we're currently in.
    Many Democrat's actually believe that taxing the rich (and no spending cuts) will solve the problem (Illinois' Governor Quinn is a perfect example of this mentality). However, I am not aware of any republican that says that simply cutting taxes will solve the issue. Every republican that i've heard talk about it has also indicated that spending cuts will be necessary. In fact it was a giant plank of the republican agenda as put forth in the campaign.

  6. #226
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And you think those words exist, or that any President would be stupid enough to say that? (Biden aside, he is stupid enough) He (Obama) is one of the best Teleprompter readers out there, has a great shot at an MSNBC slot when he is done playing Manchurian President next year.

    But seriously, this is analysis, you know that right?


    j-mac
    so here you admit that he didnt say anything about killing seniors....thanks for finally coming clean and admitting your mistake.....you go from 'he said it' to '....no president would be stupid enough...'

  7. #227
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Many Democrat's actually believe that taxing the rich (and no spending cuts) will solve the problem (Illinois' Governor Quinn is a perfect example of this mentality). However, I am not aware of any republican that says that simply cutting taxes will solve the issue. Every republican that i've heard talk about it has also indicated that spending cuts will be necessary. In fact it was a giant plank of the republican agenda as put forth in the campaign.
    Yes, it was.

    Now about specific spending cuts, neither party is saying much about that. Why might that be?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #228
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Yes, it was.

    Now about specific spending cuts, neither party is saying much about that. Why might that be?
    Lots of reasons, one of the big ones: They are only one chamber of congress. Any thing they try to cut also has to go through the senate and Obama's veto pen. Making promises that can't occur due to democrat objections would be a big ol liability come the next election.

    It doesn't necessarily mean what you are insinuating - that republican's won't or don't want to make spending cuts.

  9. #229
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Lots of reasons, one of the big ones: They are only one chamber of congress. Any thing they try to cut also has to go through the senate and Obama's veto pen. Making promises that can't occur due to democrat objections would be a big ol liability come the next election.

    It doesn't necessarily mean what you are insinuating - that republican's won't or don't want to make spending cuts.
    What I'm insinuating is that everyone talks about spending cuts, practically everyone is in favor of cutting spending, but when it comes down to specific cuts, people want to protect their favorite program.

    Conservatives, self described, tend to want to cut "social programs", by which they mean anything but the military.
    Liberals are perfectly willing to cut back the military, but aren't adverse to adding more social programs.

    Both have to be cut back, along with tax increases if we're going to ever balance the budget. That's the reality that no one wants to face.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #230
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Obama aide: Debt limit fight could be "catastrophic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    What I'm insinuating is that everyone talks about spending cuts, practically everyone is in favor of cutting spending, but when it comes down to specific cuts, people want to protect their favorite program.

    Conservatives, self described, tend to want to cut "social programs", by which they mean anything but the military.
    Liberals are perfectly willing to cut back the military, but aren't adverse to adding more social programs.

    Both have to be cut back, along with tax increases if we're going to ever balance the budget. That's the reality that no one wants to face.
    There is a reason that Conservatives want to cut social spending and that reason is that the Federal Govt. has no business being involved in personal responsibility issues. The results speak for themselves. We have a 14 trillion dollar debt today because of programs like the Great Society and New Deal that is being funded by borrowed money. The fact is state and local communities are responsible for their own citizens and it is up to those entities, not the Federal Bureaucracy to solve social problems. Over 60% of the budget is entitlement spending and that is rediculous waste of money. Because of the dollar amount those entitlement programs are full of waste, fraud, and abuse just like the rest of the Federal Govt.

    I have no problem with a thorough review of the military spending and budget requests. Serious discussions have to take place BUT the role of the Federal Govt. is protection, not providing welfare. This govt. needs to learn to live on less and let the American people keep more of what they earn.

Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •