Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 114

Thread: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tampa

  1. #101
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,073

    Re: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tampa

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    When you're an idiot who drives drunk, you give up your rights.

    IMHO.



    File this thread topic under BFD.
    What about the vast majority of people driving through those check points who are not driving drunk?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #102
    Student E_Pluribus_Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    12-31-13 @ 05:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    187

    Re: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tampa

    A lot of "unconstitutional" cries in this thread... and I agree. However, I wonder how many think we should search muslims at airports simply because they're muslim.
    Because...
    The Ultimate Excuse.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tampa

    Quote Originally Posted by E_Pluribus_Venom View Post
    A lot of "unconstitutional" cries in this thread... and I agree. However, I wonder how many think we should search muslims at airports simply because they're muslim.
    Strawman, stay on topic. Everyone has to go through the federal nudie booth. Someone already complained that airplane flight is not probable cause. Neither is simply existing on a road at a particular time.

    Terrorists are Muslims. But not all Muslims are terrorists. However, I can see a Muslim from 500 feet away. I can't see a drunk driver that far unless he's toasted. Drunk drivers come in all races and sizes and colors. Terrorists do not. They seem to all have one thing in common, being a Muslim. No drunk driver can kill 300-400 people. A terrorist can.

    So, sorry, apples and oranges comparison.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 01-03-11 at 02:51 AM.

  4. #104
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tampa

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    What about the vast majority of people driving through those check points who are not driving drunk?
    In my experience, a couple of questions and waved through when it is obvious I have not been drinking... no big deal... driving a car is not a right...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tampa

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    What about the vast majority of people driving through those check points who are not driving drunk?
    What about them?

    They should say thank you for rounding up the irresponsible pigs.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tampa

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    When you're an idiot who drives drunk, you give up your rights.[/IMG]
    So, when I'm not driving drunk, are my rights forfeit?

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tampa

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Does that mean you think the stats are being inflated?
    Yes, absolutely, in exactly the same way that rape statistics are inflated. Why? Because the people inflating them have a considerable degree of political clout, and no one wants to stand up and oppose them and thus be seen as "pro drunk driving" or "pro rape."

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tampa

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    What about them?

    They should say thank you for rounding up the irresponsible pigs.
    And, yet again, you demonstrate that you have no grasp of constitutional rights.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tampa

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Does that mean you think the stats are being inflated? Why would anyone do that?
    Alcohol, according to the link, is the #2 cause of accidents, with fast aggressive driving being the first. I'm still not convinced that checkpoints are the best idea, or that they are even constitutional, but both drunk driving and fast aggressive driving needs to be severely cracked down on. It seems likely to me that the two are related as well, as alcohol tends to cloud people's judgement.
    Why would people inflate stats? To form propaganda, to excuse expansion of government power. The fact is drinking and driving is dangerous and needs to be watched for. However, not all the alcohol related deaths that are quoted were due to alcohol. The numbers are inflated in order to say "hey look at this". I don't think people say others should be allowed to drink and drive. It's that we've made the punishments horrible and have excused all sorts of government force against us in the name of it. There are reasonable DUI laws and procedures, and there's what we currently have which does not properly reflect the crime.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #110
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: "No refusal" DUI checkpoints could be coming to Tampa

    Quote Originally Posted by E_Pluribus_Venom View Post
    A lot of "unconstitutional" cries in this thread... and I agree. However, I wonder how many think we should search muslims at airports simply because they're muslim.
    I don't. I think we've gone WAY too far with our TSA policies and have freaked out about a low probability event allowing further government expansion against the rights and liberties of the individual.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •