Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 110

Thread: Sanitation Department's slow snow clean-up was a budget protest

  1. #1
    Advisor rebelbuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    08-21-17 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    574

    Sanitation Department's slow snow clean-up was a budget protest

    The New York Post link is here!

    Is there any question that the behavior alleged by this article is criminal? In addition to protesting budget cuts by ignoring their responsibilities, the sanitation workers' bosses set the stage to pad overtime for employees.

    I am particularly disturbed by the New York Post's labeling of the whistleblowers as "snitches". It is interesting how they preceded the councilman's quote with the label of "snitch". Upon a quick glance, it looks like Councilman Dan Halloran defined them as snitches. However, it was the Post writer who used that term. See the quote below:

    The snitches "didn't want to be identified because they were afraid of retaliation," Halloran said. "They were told [by supervisors] to take off routes [and] not do the plowing of some of the major arteries in a timely manner. They were told to make the mayor pay for the layoffs, the reductions in rank for the supervisors, shrinking the rolls of the rank-and-file."
    Obama lied... Ambassador Stevens died!

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Sanitation Department's slow snow clean-up was a budget protest

    typical militancy from our public employees unions

    they, by the way, are prime contributors to our greatest longterm economic instability, their pensions weigh almost as heavily against our overburdened bottom lines as public debt

    all the way from greece to vallejo, california

    Greece's generous pensions: What makes Germans so very cross about Greece? | The Economist

    Pension Battle Heats Up in France | Labor Notes

    Vallejo Is Largest California City to File Bankruptcy (Update3) - Bloomberg

    with new york and illinois in between

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/21/bu...21pension.html

    Shortfall Threatens Illinois Pension System : NPR

    americans, and many others, are ON to the games being played out at their public expense by these mendacious elements of MACHINE politics

    funding wars, efforts to shore up these overpromised and underfunded municipal pensions, must inevitably find their way on to congress' frustrated floor

    we know what boehner and his broads and boys are gonna say

    Opinion: Let states go bankrupt - Grover G. Norquist and Patrick Gleason - POLITICO.com

    Boehner: We can't afford to bail out states - On Congress - POLITICO.com

    what will be the positions of nancy PELOSI and charlie RANGEL?

    how will the tenants of texas react to attempts to underwrite---at the national level---dmv workers in chicago?

    try to see a move ahead

    do you recall during "recovery summer" when the ny times reported that fiscally strained school systems coast to coast were using stimulus money NOT to hire additional teachers as intended, but instead were applying the aid (which came at the cost of 26 billion dollars of CUTS TO FOOD STAMPS) to stretching out a few more months of "solvency" for their plush pension plans?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/18/bu...8teachers.html

    america is on to YOU, mr rangel

    seeya in the cloak room, chairman

    and on fox news
    Last edited by The Prof; 12-30-10 at 01:06 PM.

  3. #3
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Sanitation Department's slow snow clean-up was a budget protest

    Bloomberg is going to have a field day.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Sanitation Department's slow snow clean-up was a budget protest

    Boy but it does not get much to have you guys pointing north in near group orgasm. Three unnamed people talk to a person who talks to the NY Post (of all papers) and that is reason for your day of Jubilee? Some folks need to badly get a life.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #5
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,887

    Re: Sanitation Department's slow snow clean-up was a budget protest

    LOL I love how you dishonestly portray it as if it's true, when it is simply hearsay. Just saw this on Drudge today and they did the same thing, not surprising in the least coming from you clowns.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  6. #6
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,217

    Re: Sanitation Department's slow snow clean-up was a budget protest

    Maybe they don't want to be identified because they don't exist.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    01-10-11 @ 03:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    26

    Re: Sanitation Department's slow snow clean-up was a budget protest

    Many comments from non-NYC folks I see. There is no justification. I went into work the night of the storm and days after, given I live near my job. It was rough and still is in many areas. Many areas are still not plowed! Who is to blame? Bloomy will continue to have a businesslike approach to politics which doesn't work because many times he appears to be out of touch with the concerns of many NYer's. He uses his power to elect an education chancellor with no prior experience as an educator, for example.

    Is this fair? No, but this is NYC politics. Nothing will happen to Bloomy, especially given this is his last term in office (let's not forget how he received a third-term).... I sincerely feel bad for the folks and child who lost their lives due to the unpreparedness of the city. Someone or many in public office will be held accountable for those preventable lost of lives, where 911 was dictating which calls were priority and not. A young mother lost her new baby because EMT could not get to her for over 7 hours and she was on her way to the hospital. Apparently, 911 did not feel her calls and from others, were of priority for 6 hours. We should not forget these souls when trying to play our debate forum game. Happy New Year to all.

  8. #8
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Sanitation Department's slow snow clean-up was a budget protest

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Boy but it does not get much to have you guys pointing north in near group orgasm. Three unnamed people talk to a person who talks to the NY Post (of all papers) and that is reason for your day of Jubilee? Some folks need to badly get a life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    LOL I love how you dishonestly portray it as if it's true, when it is simply hearsay. Just saw this on Drudge today and they did the same thing, not surprising in the least coming from you clowns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Maybe they don't want to be identified because they don't exist.
    Why would anyone jump to the conclusion that this report is untrue? Like this has never been done before? This information comes to the public by way of an Alderman and a Senator. Must be lying, you say. They're all clowns.

    Your partisan approach to what may be a very real problem makes me ill.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Sanitation Department's slow snow clean-up was a budget protest

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Why would anyone jump to the conclusion that this report is untrue? Like this has never been done before? This information comes to the public by way of an Alderman and a Senator. Must be lying, you say. They're all clowns.

    Your partisan approach to what may be a very real problem makes me ill.
    Because
    1- it was published in a Murdoch yellow journalism rag
    2- it came from a conservative Republican with an axe to grind against unions
    3- it is based on a small group of nameless and faceless informers who do not even have the guts to stand up like men and people don't like that cowardice
    4- it belies the reality that miles upon miles of NY streets are plowed and lots of union workers worked long and hard to do it
    5- the NY TImes has documented how much of the problem was from the top and in management - NOT with the grunts on the front lines
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/ny...agewanted=1&hp

    This is about scapegoating and trying to blame somebody else for the incompetence of the mayor and upper management responsible to the mayor.
    Last edited by haymarket; 12-31-10 at 10:00 AM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #10
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Sanitation Department's slow snow clean-up was a budget protest

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Because
    1- it was published in a Murdoch yellow journalism rag
    2- it came from a conservative Republican with an axe to grind against unions
    3- it is based on a small group of nameless and faceless informers who do not even have the guts to stand up like men and people don't like that cowardice
    4- it belies the reality that miles upon miles of NY streets are plowed and lots of union workers worked long and hard to do it
    It also came from an Alderman as reported on CNN. You find it unusual that a group of whistleblowers would do everything they could to remain anonymous? What planet are you from?

    Partisan baloney on your part. This needs to be investigated; and I'm sure it will be. Your riding in on white horses with blind partisan support is reeeedicklus.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •