Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83

Thread: Armed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

  1. #1
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,295
    Blog Entries
    1

    Armed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

    The West African region has suffered more than its fair share of military coups and civil wars and its leaders have made a clear commitment to ensuring that these come to an end.

    Continue reading the main story

    Start Quote

    Ecowas has been going through a series of exercises, scenario-building. So it is possible that it can take place so quickly”

    If the arrival of the leaders of Cape Verde, Sierra Leone and Benin fails to end the stalemate over last month's elections, West African states have threatened a military intervention if Mr Gbagbo does not step down.

    The regional grouping Ecowas has a history of using force to restore order, when there is no other option.

    As early as 1978 the region's nations agreed to refrain from the use of force against each other and this was followed in 1981 by a mutual defence pact.

    But events in Liberia in the 1990s, when the country descended into civil war, called for more urgent measures.
    BBC News - Armed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

    Africa doesn't really get a lot of play around here so I thought I'd throw this in, I hope I haven't missed a breaking rules guideline, I know the thread title is a question but it is talking about what's happening.

    So, onto my 2 cents.

    As an African it is refreshing to see Africa trying to do the right thing, but it's a little tough when some of the very leaders villyfing this guy, aren't exactly squeaky clean themselves, and certainly even if it is for the greater good, a military intervention could be costly in terms of not only human lives, but a great waste of money and recourses that these countries simply can't spare to have war. But it could cost them more in the long run if there's a refugee crisis.

    Have a read through and check out some of the pictures, these guys mean business, and if Africa can begin to police itself, and sort out it's own problems, even if it sometimes needs foreign military aid and money to do it now, we could see some promising results.

  2. #2
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: rmed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

    The United States should send troops into Cote D'Ivoire if necessary. It would cost us virtually nothing, the troops wouldn't have to be there more than a couple months, and they would have a clear mission: to help establish the legitimately elected government. This is exactly the kind of situation where we should be more willing to deploy our military.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,295
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: rmed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The United States should send troops into Cote D'Ivoire if necessary. It would cost us virtually nothing, the troops wouldn't have to be there more than a couple months, and they would have a clear mission: to help establish the legitimately elected government. This is exactly the kind of situation where we should be more willing to deploy our military.
    Ah, I do not support this course of action.

  4. #4
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: rmed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

    Many of the poorest nations in the world are stuck in a trap of constant coups (or the threat of coups). Staging coups and/or stealing elections would become a lot less attractive, if the coup-stagers and election-stealers routinely faced the prospect of being deposed by the US and turned over to the legitimate government for prosecution. This would allow African nations to spend less on their militaries and more on important social priorities.

    It would cost us virtually nothing, in dollars or in manpower. We would have the air of legitimacy since we were assisting a democratically-elected government instead of imposing one. And the risk would be very low since we would already have someone to hand the keys of the country. If we intervened in Cote D'Ivoire, the Gbagbo government would quickly collapse and the legitimate government could take power...probably within hours.

    It is sad that all military actions anywhere in the world are now viewed through the prism of the war in Iraq...
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-28-10 at 11:47 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #5
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: rmed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Many of the poorest nations in the world are stuck in a trap of constant coups (or the threat of coups). Staging coups and/or stealing elections would become a lot less attractive, if the coup-stagers and election-stealers routinely faced the prospect of being deposed by the US and turned over to the legitimate government for prosecution. This would allow African nations to spend less on their militaries and more on important social priorities.

    It would cost us virtually nothing, in dollars or in manpower. We would have the air of legitimacy since we were assisting a democratically-elected government instead of imposing one. And the risk would be very low since we would already have someone to hand the keys of the country. If we intervened in Cote D'Ivoire, the Gbagbo government would quickly collapse and the legitimate government could take power...probably within hours.

    It is sad that all military actions anywhere in the world are now viewed through the prism of the war in Iraq...
    Its not the job of the US to be the police of the world. If people feel that they should get involved, just get a group of people have them finance the trip themselves.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  6. #6
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: rmed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The United States should send troops into Cote D'Ivoire if necessary. It would cost us virtually nothing, the troops wouldn't have to be there more than a couple months, and they would have a clear mission: to help establish the legitimately elected government. This is exactly the kind of situation where we should be more willing to deploy our military.
    And of course you are rushing to enlist...

  7. #7
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: rmed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Its not the job of the US to be the police of the world.
    Then whose job is it? Nations that are stuck in poverty traps (of which Cote D'Ivoire is a textbook example) are going to continue to be poor and dysfunctional until they are able to break free of those traps. That affects everyone, not just the people stuck in the misery of the country itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123
    If people feel that they should get involved, just get a group of people have them finance the trip themselves.
    What would that accomplish? People would still view it as American involvement...but without the benefits, efficiency, and ease with which the US military could topple the Gbagbo junta.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-28-10 at 11:56 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #8
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: rmed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And of course you are rushing to enlist...
    So I suppose that you are opposed to the police protecting you from crime unless you yourself are a police officer? I suppose you wouldn't dream of availing yourself of our legal system under any circumstances unless you yourself are a judge? I assume that you are opposed to firefighters saving your burning house unless you yourself are a firefighter? This is a moronic argument and always has been. When you have a rational argument, be sure and let me know.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-28-10 at 11:57 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #9
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: rmed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    So I suppose that you are opposed to the police protecting you from crime unless you yourself are a police officer? I assume that you are opposed to firefighters saving your burning house unless you yourself are a firefighter? This is a moronic argument and always has been. When you have a rational argument, be sure and let me know.
    I say again...you ARE rushing to enlist...right? You are advocating sending in the military...so...you ARE putting your ass on the line...right?

    Phhhh...didnt think so. The left loved that whole "all hat, no cattle" slang with regard to Bush...Id say you wear about a 6 3/4...

  10. #10
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: rmed and ready for Ivorian intervention?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack
    Phhhh...didnt think so. The left loved that whole "all hat, no cattle" slang with regard to Bush...Id say you wear about a 6 3/4...
    What you imagine "The Left" believed about Bush has no relevance to Cote D'Ivoire or when military intervention is or isn't called for. If you can't think of anything intelligent to say, I'm done talking to you. Bye bye then.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-29-10 at 12:05 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •