Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 168

Thread: Republicans plan sweeping rules changes in new Congress

  1. #91
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Republicans plan sweeping rules changes in new Congress

    On the first day of their majority in the House, the Republicans promised to pass eight major reforms:

    1. require all laws that apply to the rest of the country also apply to Congress;to include loss of pension if convicted of any felony

    2. select a major, independent auditing firm to conduct a comprehensive audit of Congress for waste, fraud or abuse;Auditing firm must not have been under indictment for fraud in the last 10 years

    3. cut the number of House committees, and cut committee staff by one-third;

    4. limit the terms of all committee chairs;

    5. ban the casting of proxy votes in committee;

    6. require committee meetings to be open to the public;excluding lobbiests

    7. require a three-fifths majority vote to pass a tax increase;likewise a tax decrease

    8. guarantee an honest accounting of the Federal Budget by implementing zero base-line budgeting.
    Last edited by UtahBill; 12-23-10 at 05:01 PM.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Republicans plan sweeping rules changes in new Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I thought the people who could least afford it were parasites living off the right or somesuch nonsense.
    Just because you think that, doesn't make it so.
    I didn't say not to make them pay at all, I said it needed to be across the board so everyone gets hit a little bit. Everyone needs a dog in the hunt for us to get out of this mess.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  3. #93
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Republicans plan sweeping rules changes in new Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    On the first day of their majority in the House, the Republicans promised to pass eight major reforms:

    1. require all laws that apply to the rest of the country also apply to Congress;to include loss of pension if convicted of any felony

    2. select a major, independent auditing firm to conduct a comprehensive audit of Congress for waste, fraud or abuse;Auditing firm must not have been under indictment for fraud in the last 10 years

    3. cut the number of House committees, and cut committee staff by one-third;

    4. limit the terms of all committee chairs;

    5. ban the casting of proxy votes in committee;

    6. require committee meetings to be open to the public;excluding lobbiests

    7. require a three-fifths majority vote to pass a tax increase;likewise a tax decrease

    8. guarantee an honest accounting of the Federal Budget by implementing zero base-line budgeting.
    Those are some very good proposals thast I would be proud to support.

  4. #94
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Republicans plan sweeping rules changes in new Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Just because you think that, doesn't make it so.
    I didn't say not to make them pay at all, I said it needed to be across the board so everyone gets hit a little bit. Everyone needs a dog in the hunt for us to get out of this mess.
    I agree that we are certainly going to need to raise taxes on everyone to pay down the budget. I don't support it as a matter of principal, just practicality for our current problem and I will certainly support changing it back once things are more normal.

  5. #95
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Republicans plan sweeping rules changes in new Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I agree that we are certainly going to need to raise taxes on everyone to pay down the budget. I don't support it as a matter of principal, just practicality for our current problem and I will certainly support changing it back once things are more normal.
    disagree. taxes do not need to be raised on those who are just getting by. do that, and they need to take advantage of other costly programs. families of 4 making under 40 or 50k don't need additional taxes.
    Last edited by liblady; 12-23-10 at 05:09 PM.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #96
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Republicans plan sweeping rules changes in new Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    disagree. taxes do not need to be raised on those who are just getting by. do that, and they need to take advantage of other costly programs. families of 4 making under 40 or 50k don't need additional taxes.
    Implement taxes on cell phone usage, especially texting....that should pay down the national debt in a year or so..and the "poor" will be paying a substantial part of it...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #97
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Republicans plan sweeping rules changes in new Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    disagree. taxes do not need to be raised on those who are just getting by. do that, and they need to take advantage of other costly programs. families of 4 making under 40 or 50k don't need additional taxes.
    Our son is a teacher, 12 years now, with wife and 3 kids, and makes about $50K from the school, without school paid healthcare insurance for his family, that cost him about $7K extra for a private policy to cover them, he has to DJ and coach basketball to make ends meet...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #98
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Republicans plan sweeping rules changes in new Congress

    Hey Leftists,

    The corruption hearings begin in January. No mercy folks. No mercy for you. Alinsky rules apply. No Mo Mercy.

  9. #99
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Republicans plan sweeping rules changes in new Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Hey Leftists,

    The corruption hearings begin in January. No mercy folks. No mercy for you. Alinsky rules apply. No Mo Mercy.
    In other words, lets hound this guy like we did clinton because we have a personal dislike of him.

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Republicans plan sweeping rules changes in new Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    In other words, lets hound this guy like we did clinton because we have a personal dislike of him.
    No. Lets destroy leftist ideology by destroying its living embodiment. We can't wait to get at you. We are going to fight you and force you to fail. Failure is your future.
    Last edited by Albert Di Salvo; 12-23-10 at 08:06 PM.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •