Page 170 of 173 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1728

Thread: Oil rises above $90 amid US crude supply drop

  1. #1691
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Oil rises above $90 amid US crude supply drop

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Chargers for the types of batteries being used in vehicles are actually fairly sophisticated and I don't know if there's any move to standardization, so it would be relatively expensive to install that many chargers. But I see a future in electricity "vending machines" plug in your adapter ,swipe your card, get a text when you're topped up.
    Can't the Volt be charged from an ordinary 110 or 220 outlet?

  2. #1692
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Oil rises above $90 amid US crude supply drop

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Can't the Volt be charged from an ordinary 110 or 220 outlet?

    Yes, it can be.

    How Do You Charge An Electric Vehicle?

    "Worried about how to charge them? Plug them in at home or work using either a standard 120-volt outlet (slower charging times) or into a specialized 220-volt outlet (for faster charging times). If you’re out and about, you’ll need to find one of 655 electric-vehicle charging locations located across the United States, though 434 are located in California, according to the Department of Energy. By the end of 2011 there will be over 11,000 individual charging stations found at locations just like these. Plan longer trips in advance, and give yourself some time to recharge, because electric cars can take six to 12 hours to get to a full charge at standard 120-volt outlets."
    TrueCar's Green Cars for Earth Month: Spotlight on Electric Cars | TrueCar Blog
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #1693
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Oil rises above $90 amid US crude supply drop

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    More personal opinion.

    Only one side has presented facts on peak oil in this forum so far. All the rest have either been personal opinion or not related to peak oil. Do you have some facts you would like to present in rebuttal of peak oil? Well what are you waiting for?
    So, iow anything that disagrees with your theroy is dismissed as non factual eh. Closed mind much?

    So tell me then. When do we run out?

    J-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #1694
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,156

    Re: Oil rises above $90 amid US crude supply drop

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, iow anything that disagrees with your theroy is dismissed as non factual eh. Closed mind much?

    So tell me then. When do we run out?

    J-mac
    The closed mind in this thread isn't his. The time to adapt to alternatives is BEFORE you run out. Even if a precise date could be calculated, waiting till then is plainly stupid.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  5. #1695
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Oil rises above $90 amid US crude supply drop

    what's really stupid is appointing as energy secretary a man who openly PROMOTES eight dollar gas

    Obama Energy Pick Backs Higher Gas Tax - The Note

    seeya at the polls, progressives

  6. #1696
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Oil rises above $90 amid US crude supply drop

    Catawba - Do you have some facts you would like to present in rebuttal of peak oil?
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, iow anything that disagrees with your theroy is dismissed as non factual eh. Closed mind much?

    J-mac
    Just the facts Ma'am! Do you have any facts to dispute the US military or not?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #1697
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Oil rises above $90 amid US crude supply drop

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Just the facts Ma'am! Do you have any facts to dispute the US military or not?
    The 'facts' seem largely ignored by the Peak Oil believers since the early 70s. But, (*sigh*) here they are AGAIN, maybe this time you will actually digest what experts are saying....

    Daniel Yergin's Cambridge Energy Research Associates (CERA) disagrees. Its analysis finds that "the remaining global oil resource base is actually 3.74 trillion barrels - three times as large as the (claimed) 1.2 trillion barrels by (peak oil) proponents." CERA argues further that peak oil reasoning is faulty and, "if accepted, (may) distort critical policy and investment decisions and cloud the debate over the energy future." It states as well that the "global resource base of conventional and unconventional oils....is 4.82 trillion barrels and likely to grow" and bases its analysis on fields now in production and those "yet-to-be produced or discovered."

    Its chairman, Daniel Yergin, noted that: "This is the fifth time that the world is said to be running out of oil. Each time....technology and the opening of new frontier areas has banished the specter of decline. There's no reason to think that technology is finished this time."

    The Paris-based International Energy Agency (AIE) agrees. It's an energy policy advisor to its 27 member countries that was founded by the OECD in 1974 in the wake of that period's oil crisis. It believes peak oil notions are extreme, says there's "no shortage of available oil and gas in the ground," but new technologies must be found to curb "the world's thirst for them (and to) tap reserves" to increase production. AIE believes as much as 10 trillion barrels of "oil equivalent" conventional oil and gas exist and at least as much non-conventional oil.

    In a 2005 report it stated that: "The hydrocarbon resources in place around the world are sufficiently abundant to sustain likely growth in the global energy system for the foreseeable future. The doomsayers are again conveying grim messages through (the media). The AIE has long maintained that none of this is cause for concern."

    AIE considers all type oils - the easy to find and produce "light sweet" kind that's likely running out plus potentially huge untapped deposits of heavier oils that will become more important when it does. With this in mind, the Middle East doesn't have two-thirds of world oil reserves as many analysts, the industry, and US Department of Energy claim. It has two-thirds of "proved" cheap oil reserves.

    The US Geological Survey (USGS) collects data on all type oils and estimates their amounts. For the year 2000, the US Department of Energy (DOE) and oil industry estimated remaining "proved" light sweet reserves at slightly over one trillion barrels. USGS, however, placed "identified" reserves at 1.1 trillion barrels and "recoverable" reserves at nearly 2.3 trillion or more than double the industry and DOE amounts. In addition, USGS estimates combined non-conventional heavy and tar sands deposits at around 4.250 trillion barrels with about 3.6 trillion of them in the two countries with most of them - Canada and Venezuela.

    Peak Oil - True or False
    That's three different expert organizations on the subject, including the USGS.

    Here is more.

    Most of today’s petro-doomsters base their forecasts on the work of the geologist M. King Hubbert, who correctly predicted in 1956 that U.S. domestic oil production in the lower 48 states would peak around 1970 and begin to decline. In 1969 Hubbert predicted that world oil production would peak around 2000.

    Hubbert argued that oil production grows until half the recoverable resources in a field have been extracted, after which production falls off at the same rate at which it expanded. This theory suggests a bell-shaped curve rising from first discovery to peak and descending to depletion. Hubbert calculated that peak oil production follows peak oil discovery with a time lag. Globally, discoveries of new oil fields peaked in 1962. The time lag between peak global discoveries and peak production was estimated to be around 32 years, but peak oilers claim that the two oil crises of the 1970s reduced consumption and thereby delayed the peak until now. Hubbert’s modern disciples argue that humanity has now used up half of the world’s ultimately recoverable reserves of oil, which means we are at or over the peak.

    The prophets of oily doom are opposed by preachers of energy abundance. Chief among the latter is the energy economist Michael Lynch, president of the Massachusetts-based Global Petroleum Service consultancy. “Colin Campbell has the worst forecasting record on oil supply,” says Lynch, “and that’s saying a lot.” He points out that in a 1989 article for the journal Noroil, Campbell claimed the peak of world oil production had already passed and incorrectly predicted that oil would soon cost $30 to $50 a barrel. As for Matthew Simmons, Lynch dismisses him with a sneer: “Petroleum engineers know a lot more about petroleum engineering than a Harvard MBA.”

    One petroleum engineer— Michael Economides of the University of Houston—calls peak oil predictions “the figments of the imaginations of born-again pessimist geologists.” Like Lynch, Economides, who worked in Russia to boost that country’s oil production in the last decade, rejects Simmons’ analysis. Saudi Arabia, which currently produces about 10 million barrels of oil a day, “is underproducing every one of their wells,” he claims. “I can produce 20 million barrels of oil in Saudi Arabia.”

    Peak Oil Panic - Reason Magazine
    Proponents tend not to believe the experts in the field but rather search for those pseudo intellectuals that hold their respective degrees in fields other that geology, but agree with their doomsday predictions. That is the mark of a religion rather than fact.

    The fact is that much like the old fable that has the chicken running around yelling that 'the sky is falling' 'the sky is falling', peak oil keeps yelling, and to this day remains wrong every time.

    So what happens when that is the case? well they create some excuse and revise their forecast, and start to yell all over again. Not only are people like this dangerous in that they distort policy, but that they drive price all the way down to the poorest of us all, and as we see in the current race for so called 'green tech' they have NOTHING to replace hydrocarbon energy.

    I say develop it all. green tech, oil, gas, everything. When there is proven tech sufficient to replace oil as our energy resource then put it in place, until then peak oil doomsday theorists should focus their efforts less on the politics of fear, and more on the effort of development.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #1698
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Oil rises above $90 amid US crude supply drop

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    The closed mind in this thread isn't his. The time to adapt to alternatives is BEFORE you run out. Even if a precise date could be calculated, waiting till then is plainly stupid.
    Strawman argument. No one in the 170++ pages of this thread has said that green tech development should take a back seat. Nor that we should wait until the well runs dry if that day ever comes.

    Only that what is truly is stupid is choking off supply of current oil energy as a catalyst of development. Many say that you can develop both. The difference is that those that are of the Peak Oil religion want to force the issue artificially, and that is just cruel.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #1699
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Oil rises above $90 amid US crude supply drop

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The 'facts' seem largely ignored by the Peak Oil believers since the early 70s. But, (*sigh*) here they are AGAIN, maybe this time you will actually digest what experts are saying....



    That's three different expert organizations on the subject, including the USGS.

    Here is more.



    Proponents tend not to believe the experts in the field but rather search for those pseudo intellectuals that hold their respective degrees in fields other that geology, but agree with their doomsday predictions. That is the mark of a religion rather than fact.

    The fact is that much like the old fable that has the chicken running around yelling that 'the sky is falling' 'the sky is falling', peak oil keeps yelling, and to this day remains wrong every time.

    So what happens when that is the case? well they create some excuse and revise their forecast, and start to yell all over again. Not only are people like this dangerous in that they distort policy, but that they drive price all the way down to the poorest of us all, and as we see in the current race for so called 'green tech' they have NOTHING to replace hydrocarbon energy.

    I say develop it all. green tech, oil, gas, everything. When there is proven tech sufficient to replace oil as our energy resource then put it in place, until then peak oil doomsday theorists should focus their efforts less on the politics of fear, and more on the effort of development.

    j-mac
    I'll tell you what, you go by this Yergin and the "free market" website you found and I will go with the US military and the majority of experts on the subject. I knew this guy didn't know what he was talking about when he said, "This is the fifth time that the world is said to be running out of oil."

    Peak oil has nothing to do with running out of oil. It is when consumption exceeds production. We passed that point in this country 40 years ago.

    If you think that is not true, please post the years since 1971 that we have produced more oil than we consumed (with source links).

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Catawba; 08-05-11 at 09:35 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #1700
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Oil rises above $90 amid US crude supply drop

    another bad day for secty chu

    A judge on Friday threw out Obama administration rules that sought to slow down expedited environmental review of oil and gas drilling on federal land.

    U.S. District Judge Nancy Freudenthal ruled in favor of a petroleum industry group, the Western Energy Alliance, in its lawsuit against the federal government, including Interior Secretary Ken Salazar.

    The ruling reinstates Bush-era expedited oil and gas drilling under provisions called categorical exclusions on federal lands nationwide, Freudenthal said.
    Federal judge throws out Obama drilling rules - seattlepi.com

    we'll never get to $8 gas this way

    he needs to try harder

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •