Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 117

Thread: 150 years later, S. Carolina celebration sparks new Civil War

  1. #91
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 150 years later, S. Carolina celebration sparks new Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Siiiiiiigh.

    Why do you keep arguing about things I didn't say? Read, dude. Read.
    Things you didn't say? You said, and allow me to quote you,

    The governments under which these soldiers served said they were separating themselves from the Union to preserve slavery. They, the governments, said so.
    You said that the government was the only dtermining body that decided to secede. Yes? That is not the case, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #92
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 150 years later, S. Carolina celebration sparks new Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Then what's all the bull**** about "believing" things about American soldiers and their missions?

    And what's with the kneejerk, reflexive screeching against anyone who might suggest that slavery played some role in the reasons for secession?

    Are you claiming, here and now, that slavery played NO role? As in, it was not a factor, period, in secession? Is that what you're claiming?

    If so, you're making a stupid and ludicrous argument. If not, then back off.

    Nope! Never said that. Never even came close to suggesting, even sorta.

    My argument is that slavery wasn't the only reason that the south seceded. Your argument is that slavery is the only reason for secession. Isn't that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #93
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,592

    Re: 150 years later, S. Carolina celebration sparks new Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Nope! Never said that. Never even came close to suggesting, even sorta.

    My argument is that slavery wasn't the only reason that the south seceded. Your argument is that slavery is the only reason for secession. Isn't that right?
    Nope. Not being a moron, I understand that there's no single reason for anything. I said what I said because there are many who will indeed argue that secession had nothing to do with slavery.

    I do say that it was one of the primary reasons, however.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #94
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 150 years later, S. Carolina celebration sparks new Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Nope. Not being a moron, I understand that there's no single reason for anything. I said what I said because there are many who will indeed argue that secession had nothing to do with slavery.

    I do say that it was one of the primary reasons, however.
    So, you back down from your contention that the preservation of slavery was the only reason that secession happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #95
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,592

    Re: 150 years later, S. Carolina celebration sparks new Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, you back down from your contention that the preservation of slavery was the only reason that secession happened?
    Sweet Christ. What's your problem? Read what I wrote. I never had that contention, not ever. Why do you need so badly for me to have done so?

    You know what? Forget it. I don't care.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #96
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: 150 years later, S. Carolina celebration sparks new Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    I think the 4 in 10 Americans that believe in strict creationism must live in S.C.
    Was it this statement that did it? [temp suspended]
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #97
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: 150 years later, S. Carolina celebration sparks new Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, you back down from your contention that the preservation of slavery was the only reason that secession happened?
    Please stop pretending that people are saying it's the only reason when they clearly aren't.

    I know you wish they said that, but they didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #98
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: 150 years later, S. Carolina celebration sparks new Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Sweet Christ. What's your problem? Read what I wrote. I never had that contention, not ever. Why do you need so badly for me to have done so?

    You know what? Forget it. I don't care.
    He's done this crap with me and others and had it pointed out to him. I think he's just being a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  9. #99
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 150 years later, S. Carolina celebration sparks new Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Sweet Christ. What's your problem? Read what I wrote. I never had that contention, not ever. Why do you need so badly for me to have done so?

    You know what? Forget it. I don't care.
    You said,

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Yes, and there are those who will argue, red-faced, that secession wasn't about slavery, but some other noble purpose. Yet almost every article of secession cited slavery specifically.
    Then, you said,


    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    You're conflating different issues.

    I said most of the articles secession cited slavery, and indeed, they did; it was forefront issue FOR secession.

    I don't give a rat's ass what was in the mind of an ordinary soldier; he didn't make the decisions which put him in the fight.

    I also didn't say a thing about what the Civil War was fought over; that was about preservation of the Union. That's an entirely different topic from why the southern states seceded.

    And they seceded to preserve slavery. They said so themselves.
    After that, you said,


    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    This is vapid.

    The governments under which these soldiers served said they were separating themselves from the Union to preserve slavery. They, the governments, said so.

    The US government said nothing about oil in Iraq, nothing about the drug trade in Vietnam, nothing, zip, nada. It wasn't their mission. Never was.

    But preserving slavery was cited as a reason for separating from the Union. Officially, unquestionably, in writing. To DENY it is bull****.
    If you ever suggested that slavery wasn't the number one reason for secession, I would love to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #100
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 150 years later, S. Carolina celebration sparks new Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Please stop pretending that people are saying it's the only reason when they clearly aren't.

    I know you wish they said that, but they didn't.
    Ok, tell us what the other reasons were. Go ahead, feel free. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •