Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 152

Thread: Lawyers cry foul over leak of Julian Assange sex-case papers

  1. #71
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Lawyers cry foul over leak of Julian Assange sex-case papers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Incidental. His purpose was to expose the government. As such he targeted THEM. If he had targeted specific individuals on purpose then you would have a case, otherwise you do not.
    I'm sure their widows will take great comfort in the fact that he didn't target them as individuals.

    "Poetic justice" does not equal Justice. Poetic justice is based upon a personal view which varies from person to person. Justice is based on law and is set in stone (metaphorically speaking).
    I have no sympathy of the man, and I use the term "man" in its loosest sense.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  2. #72
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Lawyers cry foul over leak of Julian Assange sex-case papers

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Still, you can't suggest the release of the documents was simply in hopes of "exposing wrong doing" if he clearly exposed documents that DIDN'T show any wrong doing.
    I most certainly can suggest that because the fact is the organization's purpose is to expose wrongdoing and that is exactly what it did.

    You'd have a point, if the topic was Private Individual vs Corporation. However the discussion was concerning Government vs Private, and its quite clear and obvious that a corporation falls far more in line with the realm of private, similar to a citizen, then it does with government.

    Kal'stang, who the original person bringing up corporations was responding to, was specifically suggesting a difference between a governmental entity and a private one...and a corporation is undeniably in the "private" category rather than the "governmental" one and as such, in the scope of the actual topic, it IS similar to a private individual
    Actually, no, the argument was that the distinction between government and private as a protection for Assange was invalid because Wikileaks has leaked information relating to private organizations. However there is a difference between that an leaking information concerning an individual especially if the intended purpose is to demonize the individual and prejudice a court proceeding involving that individual. That sort of behavior is typical of the State when it is dealing with dissent.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What? wait, no I don't think that the US is an authoritarian government.
    Why not? Do you think that having elections mean we cannot possibly have authoritarianism as well?

    You seem to though. And you also have his goals wrong. As I have posted before, and maybe you can address this.





    So his intent is not a noble one as you would describe it, but rather a direct attack on America.


    j-mac
    What I read there is someone saying that greater government transparency will impede the ability of government to behave in an abusive manner and that a way to facilitate such transparency is with leaks.
    Last edited by Demon of Light; 12-22-10 at 02:34 PM.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  3. #73
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Lawyers cry foul over leak of Julian Assange sex-case papers

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I'm sure their widows will take great comfort in the fact that he didn't target them as individuals.
    Something which in the YEARS that wikileaks has been around has yet to happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I have no sympathy of the man, and I use the term "man" in its loosest sense.
    Good to know that you are hypocritical then.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #74
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Lawyers cry foul over leak of Julian Assange sex-case papers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Something which in the YEARS that wikileaks has been around has yet to happen.
    Hasn't happened according to Wiki Leaks ??? You have no way of knowing whether it has or not.

    Good to know that you are hypocritical then.
    If you consider the truth hypocritical, then feel free.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #75
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Lawyers cry foul over leak of Julian Assange sex-case papers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Well this actually depends on your way of thinking really. According to some people from the TSA thread if a company recieves tax payer money then it is no longer strictly a private company, but a government one at most. A mix of the two at the least.
    For me it'd kind of depend on the kind of financial support they're getting.

    Is it like a government contractor, where the government is your primary means of funding or you're working on behalf of hte government, then yeah it fits into that quasi kind of situation.

    Is it a situation where the government owns the area of location and they've contracted you out to run it...such as contracting a security company to secure the premisis of an office building? Then again, I can kind of see that.

    If you get some subsidy because you're manufacturing "green" products and there's a government incentive out there that gives your company money for producing "X" amount of "green" products? Then no, I don't think that company is any more a quasi-government entity than an individual getting a tax credit for buying a hybrid.

  6. #76
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Lawyers cry foul over leak of Julian Assange sex-case papers

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    Why not? Do you think that having elections mean we cannot possibly have authoritarianism as well?
    Who said that? That is a straw argument that you are setting up. But as for the US, no I do not think they are authoritarian, at least not as of this moment. Sure some policies brought forth by progressives, whether they be repub progressives, or demo progressives are certainly leaning that way, but more to the fact that progressives need the control, and think that we as a people are too stupid to run our own lives. Assange does nothing to expose that goal. He merely has picked the US as a target, and is releasing information in the hopes of damaging our ties, our diplomacy, and ultimately bringing the US down.

    What I read there is someone saying that greater government transparency will impede the ability of government to behave in an abusive manner and that a way to facilitate such transparency is with leaks.
    So if I read you correctly, it is only the US today that acts in an "abusive" manner, is that right?

    Tell me DoL, how would you see the world if the US ceased to exist as it is today? What do you think would happen?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #77
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Lawyers cry foul over leak of Julian Assange sex-case papers

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Who said that? That is a straw argument that you are setting up.
    It was not a strawman argument. It was a question.

    But as for the US, no I do not think they are authoritarian, at least not as of this moment. Sure some policies brought forth by progressives, whether they be repub progressives, or demo progressives are certainly leaning that way, but more to the fact that progressives need the control, and think that we as a people are too stupid to run our own lives.
    Do not confuse authoritarianism with totalitarianism. Authoritarianism has as its basis the submission of the people to authority. This need not require penetrating interference by the state in everyday affairs.

    Assange does nothing to expose that goal. He merely has picked the US as a target, and is releasing information in the hopes of damaging our ties, our diplomacy, and ultimately bringing the US down.
    The information revealed has been damaging to plenty of other countries as well such as Russia, China, and India.

    So if I read you correctly, it is only the US today that acts in an "abusive" manner, is that right?
    No, I have no idea where you got that from.

    Tell me DoL, how would you see the world if the US ceased to exist as it is today? What do you think would happen?
    That is like asking me what would happen if everyone in the line of succession in a country were killed. Creating a vacuum of power under any circumstances tends to cause instability.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  8. #78
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Lawyers cry foul over leak of Julian Assange sex-case papers

    the fellow is quite sophisticated in his approach
    while the video may be quite less than nuanced, assange manages to elicit support in odd ways
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #79
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: Lawyers cry foul over leak of Julian Assange sex-case papers

    Here is my take on this: If my Government is doing crap behind my back, I have a right to know. On the other hand, if Assange is doing crap behind my back, I have a right to know. Assange can't have it both ways. If he advocates transparency, then he too must be transparent.

    Let me add one more thing - The rape charge against him looks suspicious, but I am going to wait and see how this plays out. If he was set up, then shame on them, but if it turns out that he DID commit rape, then he deserves to be in prison, whether or not people believe he did a good thing in leaking information.

    In 1973, President Nixon resigned, after Watergate broke. In impeaching Nixon, it was said that nobody is above the law. I still believe that. Nobody is above the law, and that includes the asshole who is whining about leaks that concern him. If facing the music was good enough for Nixon, it is certainly good enough for Assange.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #80
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,535

    Re: Lawyers cry foul over leak of Julian Assange sex-case papers

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    What details would those be?
    You don't seem to understand what the "diplomatic cables" are.


    Are you seriously saying the relationship between government officials and business is none of our business?
    If no laws are broken, what's the problem? You seem to need gossip.


    I do not worship the man, but what he is doing is exposing abuses by government and business so the fact said forces would seek to try him in the court of public opinion to diminish his efforts is quite upsetting to me.
    Need a tissue?

    He's attempting to "try" everyone he's going after in the "court of public opinion."

    So I guess I'm right; you think it's outrageous for it to happen to him because you like him.


    If it were not for the fact that major corporations are the source of much of our jobs directly or indirectly that might be a good point. Without a job you can't get money. Without money you can't buy goods. Without goods you can't live.
    No corporation has any power over you that you don't give it. You don't like them? Don't buy their stuff.

    The fact that they happen to be large employers is irrelevant. They're still private. It's not your business.

    You just like seeing dirt dished out.


    His crusade is against the authoritarian qualities of governments around the world. I would said that is a crusade to cheer on.
    Well, he's got you snowed.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •