Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 663

Thread: DADT cloture passes

  1. #511
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,292

    Re: DADT cloture passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We had a good sailor who developed an alcohol problem when his wife left him. He showed up drunk a couple times. Rather than boot him out, we handled things in command and talked him into volunteering for the rehab program(forget what it is called). He never went to a UCMJ, his showing up drunk never appeared on his record.

    Sex in the barracks was commonplace, and our officers knew it. We had two semi openly gay people over my time in the command, one was a yeoman who was the skippers secretary. This was prior to DADT.

    I think you would be surprised at how often commands look the other way on things.
    Sounds like you served with substandard officers.

    At Fort Polk, a soldier from another platoon in my company drove a Bradley into a big ass ditch while on the gunnery range. One soldier was killed, another soldier was paralyzed from the chest down and two other soldiers had to be hospitalized. Turns out he had been drinking.

    He didn't get a chance to volunteer for rehab. In fact, as far as I know, he's still in prison.

    The point being, if he can't stay sober on a training mission, how can we expect him to stay sober on an actual battlefield. In the units I served in, there were no second chances for crap like that. It was too easy for someone to get killed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #512
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: DADT cloture passes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If everything is sop peachy in the British Army, why is the commander seeking the advice of gay rights groups to end the tension within the ranks?

    BBC NEWS | UK | Army acts to promote gay rights

    Besides that, this isn't the UK, nor does the British Army have the same military regulations that the United States military has.
    Which regulations, that would affect this issue and are important, are different between the British military and the US military? I'm pretty sure that the main issues that servicemembers here are concerned with are housing and discrimination in the form of violence. Last I checked, the British Army houses men and women separately and gays and straights together (just like us). And, I'm pretty sure that they have rules against discrimination, especially violent discrimination/intolerance within their ranks. Is there something that I'm missing that you know about the British military that makes their ability to handle this situation easier than ours? And if so, why can't we adopt whatever they do?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #513
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: DADT cloture passes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Sounds like you served with substandard officers.

    At Fort Polk, a soldier from another platoon in my company drove a Bradley into a big ass ditch while on the gunnery range. One soldier was killed, another soldier was paralyzed from the chest down and two other soldiers had to be hospitalized. Turns out he had been drinking.

    He didn't get a chance to volunteer for rehab. In fact, as far as I know, he's still in prison.

    The point being, if he can't stay sober on a training mission, how can we expect him to stay sober on an actual battlefield. In the units I served in, there were no second chances for crap like that. It was too easy for someone to get killed.
    Wait a minute, weren't you telling me sometime in the last year that you had a guy in your unit that used drugs while on liberty but that your unit "let slide"? How is that different?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #514
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    04-08-14 @ 10:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    56

    Re: DADT cloture passes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If everything is sop peachy in the British Army, why is the commander seeking the advice of gay rights groups to end the tension within the ranks?

    BBC NEWS | UK | Army acts to promote gay rights

    Besides that, this isn't the UK, nor does the British Army have the same military regulations that the United States military has.
    Well since the UK example does not apply then I suppose we could expect fewer issues here. Especially since we are better. Is that not correct?

  5. #515
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: DADT cloture passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron River View Post
    If someone asks you what 2+2 is and you say "H" that isn't the answer, is it?? You said something, but isn't an answer.
    I love it when people comment on my sig. lol Someone inevitably does stating something like you just did.

    Yes it would be an answer. It might be an incorrect answer but it would still be an answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron River View Post
    In a spirit of fairness I ask why it is fair for homosexuals to shower with me but it isnít allowed for me to shower with the lady nurses? As far your habit of staring at the guy next to youís junk you might try to break that habit before you shower with a squid of combat troops. They might stomp you down the drain pipe.
    Personally I think that women and men should be allowed to shower together if they so wish. Maybe it would desensitize people to gender differences. Think about it, you have whole nudist camps all around the globe and they apparently don't get hung up over seeing someones private parts. According to a friend of mine who visits nudist camps regularly sex doesn't even come to his mind. Sure it did the first time he went, but apparently after an hour it never even crossed his mind. And from what I can tell it still never does.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #516
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,292

    Re: DADT cloture passes

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which regulations, that would affect this issue and are important, are different between the British military and the US military? I'm pretty sure that the main issues that servicemembers here are concerned with are housing and discrimination in the form of violence. Last I checked, the British Army houses men and women separately and gays and straights together (just like us). And, I'm pretty sure that they have rules against discrimination, especially violent discrimination/intolerance within their ranks. Is there something that I'm missing that you know about the British military that makes their ability to handle this situation easier than ours? And if so, why can't we adopt whatever they do?

    Because this isn't the British Army. This isn't Britain. We're not Britons.

    We kicked their asses twice and bailed them out two more times. Why on earth would we want to mirror the British Army?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #517
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: DADT cloture passes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Because this isn't the British Army. This isn't Britain. We're not Britons.

    We kicked their asses twice and bailed them out two more times. Why on earth would we want to mirror the British Army?
    You said that they didn't have the same rules that we have. I want to know why that matters. You made a claim, I am asking you to back it up.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #518
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,292

    Re: DADT cloture passes

    Quote Originally Posted by satandog View Post
    Well since the UK example does not apply then I suppose we could expect fewer issues here. Especially since we are better. Is that not correct?
    I think the issues will be dealt with, but not in the way that the DADT abolitionists expect. My view on billetting are example of the procedures that will be put in place to make it easier for gays and straights to serve together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #519
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,292

    Re: DADT cloture passes

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Wait a minute, weren't you telling me sometime in the last year that you had a guy in your unit that used drugs while on liberty but that your unit "let slide"? How is that different?
    I never made that comment. You must be thinking of someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #520
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: DADT cloture passes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I never made that comment. You must be thinking of someone else.
    Maybe, sorry. I know that I was talking to someone who is very against DADT repeal about this who was also in the military. I thought it was you, if not, I apologize.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •