Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 159

Thread: U.S. proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

  1. #81
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: U.S. proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I'm not disputing that. I'm just trying to explain the likely reason that truckers are targeted more often than someone that drives a car. It's all about perception.
    Truck drivers are targetted, because they can be targetted. Heavy government regulation is the reason that the government can violate our constitutional rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: U.S. proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Truck drivers are targetted, because they can be targetted. Heavy government regulation is the reason that the government can violate our constitutional rights.
    Yet 2009 had the best safety record ever for trucks

  3. #83
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Truck drivers are targetted, because they can be targetted. Heavy government regulation is the reason that the government can violate our constitutional rights.
    Umm...Someone that drives a car can be targeted JUST as easily as someone that drives a truck legal wise. But a car will not have as big an effect on someone as a truck will.

    As far as violating your constitutional rights...like which ones? The gun one? Has there ever been a case brought up about it? If not then bring one up to the courts for it. See what SCOTUS's take is on it.

    However banning cell phone use is not a violation of any right.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #84
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: U.S. proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Umm...Someone that drives a car can be targeted JUST as easily as someone that drives a truck legal wise. But a car will not have as big an effect on someone as a truck will.
    Do private operators have to get a CDL, pay heavy road use tax, buy an IFTA sticker, buy a cab card, keep a log book, be submitted to random roadside inspections? The answer is, no. So, you're wrong.

    As far as violating your constitutional rights...like which ones? The gun one? Has there ever been a case brought up about it? If not then bring one up to the courts for it. See what SCOTUS's take is on it.
    I looked in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Handbook, to post the actual regulation, but I can't find it. I googled the subject and didn't find it. Actually, I found evidence that it's not a violation anymore, depending on state and local laws. So, I' thinking that it's no longer illegal to keep a gun in a commercial vehicle. I hope so; that would be a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #85
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Do private operators have to get a CDL, pay heavy road use tax, buy an IFTA sticker, buy a cab card, keep a log book, be submitted to random roadside inspections? The answer is, no. So, you're wrong.
    I said that they can be. Not that they were.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I looked in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Handbook, to post the actual regulation, but I can't find it. I googled the subject and didn't find it. Actually, I found evidence that it's not a violation anymore, depending on state and local laws. So, I' thinking that it's no longer illegal to keep a gun in a commercial vehicle. I hope so; that would be a good thing.
    Actually now that you mention it I think I do remember something about that ban being lifted.

    I think this is the law we are talking about...

    Title 18 Setcion 926(a). The peacable journey law.

    TITLE 18?CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

    PART I?CRIMES

    CHAPTER 44?FIREARMS

    Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
    who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
    shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
    firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may
    lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
    firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
    transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
    the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver?s
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    container other than the glove compartment or console.
    askthetrucker.com
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #86
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: U.S. proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    calling - you mean

    I know the laws (cellphone use while driving in Arkansas is already banned) - but I talk while I drive, anyway - I find it no more distracting than talking to someone in the seat next to me.
    .

    You know just like when you use to take your hands of the handlebar of your bike.
    Last edited by American; 12-25-10 at 09:29 AM.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #87
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S. proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    .

    You know just like when you use to take your hands of the handlebar of your bike.


    heh, funny stuff. But not really....In order to even get my license 20 years ago I had to go through a pretty rigorous test, preform a walk around inspection that you almost have to be a mechanic to pass correctly, and do not only an on site skills test, but a road test also....

    If I want to add anything like for instance doubles, I have to go back in and test again (written)...What the heck to auto drivers have to do? They pay a mere couple of hundred bucks to some shlub with a driving school, watch a few videos, do some practical driving, and take their road exam. Most of 'em don't even know how to merge on a highway correctly.

    Then they are off to the derby of life....high speed, talking on their phones, reading, putting on makeup. Yeah, but truckers are the problem....pfft.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #88
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: U.S. proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I said that they can be. Not that they were.



    Actually now that you mention it I think I do remember something about that ban being lifted.

    I think this is the law we are talking about...



    askthetrucker.com
    That's not the regulation i was referring to. But, it doesn't necessarily ban firearms in a commercial vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: U.S. proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    heh, funny stuff. But not really....In order to even get my license 20 years ago I had to go through a pretty rigorous test, preform a walk around inspection that you almost have to be a mechanic to pass correctly, and do not only an on site skills test, but a road test also....

    If I want to add anything like for instance doubles, I have to go back in and test again (written)...What the heck to auto drivers have to do? They pay a mere couple of hundred bucks to some shlub with a driving school, watch a few videos, do some practical driving, and take their road exam. Most of 'em don't even know how to merge on a highway correctly.

    Then they are off to the derby of life....high speed, talking on their phones, reading, putting on makeup. Yeah, but truckers are the problem....pfft.


    j-mac
    Well, like I stated before, I've seen some horrible truck drivers. And I've seen them recently. They think because they are big and bad, they own the road. Quite frankly, they drive with the same attitude that you have on here. I don't think truckers should be targeted, I think cell phone use by drivers (of course not by passengers) should be banned 100% nationwide. It's getting people killed. It's unnecessary. I hate gov't intrusion, but damn, people won't listen of their own free will so make it a law with a fine to violate. Just like a speed limit.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: U.S. proposes cellphone ban for truck drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Umm...Someone that drives a car can be targeted JUST as easily as someone that drives a truck legal wise. But a car will not have as big an effect on someone as a truck will.

    As far as violating your constitutional rights...like which ones? The gun one? Has there ever been a case brought up about it? If not then bring one up to the courts for it. See what SCOTUS's take is on it.

    However banning cell phone use is not a violation of any right.
    Maybe you should look at CSA 2010

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •