Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 217

Thread: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave to

  1. #71
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and no one still has answered the question:

    why didn't she just save up her vacation and take paid leave to make the hajj? if they had denied her vacation to make the trip, then she'd have an actual case.
    wrong!
    having accumulated leave does NOT give the employee to take it at the time of their choosing. that is why a request for leave must be tendered ... and approved

    whether she had accumulated leave in lieu of requesting leave without pay plays no point in this matter
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #72
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    wrong!
    having accumulated leave does NOT give the employee to take it at the time of their choosing. that is why a request for leave must be tendered ... and approved

    whether she had accumulated leave in lieu of requesting leave without pay plays no point in this matter
    wrong. how many years did you teach in public school? zero?

    the request is a formality. leave is like part of your pay, they cannot tell you when/how to spend your pay, they cannot tell you when/how to spend your leave.

    she would have a much stronger case if she had tried to use her leave and been denied rather than asking for unpaid leave.

    both my parents taught for 30 years and my father was a HS principal for 15. I taught for 11 years and my brother has taught for 23.

    I think I might just know a bit about how the system works.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #73
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    wrong. how many years did you teach in public school? zero?

    the request is a formality. leave is like part of your pay, they cannot tell you when/how to spend your pay, they cannot tell you when/how to spend your leave.

    she would have a much stronger case if she had tried to use her leave and been denied rather than asking for unpaid leave.

    both my parents taught for 30 years and my father was a HS principal for 15. I taught for 11 years and my brother has taught for 23.

    I think I might just know a bit about how the system works.
    i am saying you were wrong then and now

    that someone accumulates an amount of annual leave does not also give them the right to take it without management authorization

    unions often negotiate the process for the processing of leave requests, and what should be found acceptable; once signed, that process for leave taking would be followed. but absent such contract language, there is no right to take earned leave without management approval

    and it is very evident you have NO idea how the system works
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #74
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and no one still has answered the question:

    why didn't she just save up her vacation and take paid leave to make the hajj? if they had denied her vacation to make the trip, then she'd have an actual case.
    huh? you mean sick days? do teachers GET vacation?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #75
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    huh? you mean sick days? do teachers GET vacation?

    I don't think so, I think my nephew who is a teacher in NC told me that they can opt to spread their salary out in even sums to cover the summer time off. So they do get a check, but it is money already earned so to speak.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #76
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,110

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I was in Iraq last year for christmas. my wife decorated the house and left everything in place until I returned home in June. We celebrated Christmas on the 22 of June and God didn't strike me dead.
    1) God does not strike you dead for your sins (at least not mortally), you are held to account.
    2) Christmas is an arbitrary day in the celebration of the birth of Christ. No one really knows when Christ was born. If you look at the history of Christmas, you will see its predominantly a celebration of the winter solastice . Its a pagan holiday that was substantially hijack by the Roman Catholic church (see also Easter). Though I'm sure God appreciates the special attention given his son on that date, true Christains should celebrate the birth, the death and resurrection of the son every day. Celebrating these things just one day per year.... well, for that you will be struck eternally dead. (in short, celebrating the birth of Christ on Christmas day means nothing)
    3) There have been major changes to what has been expected by God of Jews/Christians over time (like blood sacrifice), but these changes have been authorized by God himself. The changes that have been come from Rome or any other church body should deal only with those that wish to celebrate mass as Catholics or worship in whatever church body, as that is as far at that authority extends. What Christians should or should not do its biblical, and that hasn't changed in 1800 years or so.
    4) You, who is outside the religion of Islam, telling a muslim it should be ok to do is X, Y, or Z is offensively arrogant and bigoted, when you have no real understanding of its doctrine.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 12-16-10 at 11:59 AM.

  7. #77
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Am I, or anyone to assume that this trashing of Christian belief, and chastisement of anyone daring to question the religion of supposed peace means you support Islam moreso that Christianity?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #78
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,491

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think they should have allowed her to go on unpaid leave to go on a religious pilgrimage. I don't think her request was unreasonable and she has a right to sue.
    Sue? She signed a contract that stated she would work. She requested, and was denied, legally. The only thing they think she is able to actually sue for is discrimination.
    Denying unpaid leave is routine, and legal, and she accepted it when she took the job. That is not now, and should never, be in question.

    Unpaid leave is a burden on the students and the administration, and the default answer, excluding family and medical leave (FMLA), should be no.
    Last edited by Mach; 12-16-10 at 12:21 PM.

  9. #79
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Sue? She signed a contract that stated she would work. She requested, and was denied, legally. The only thing they think she is able to actually sue for is discrimination.
    Denying unpaid leave is routine, and legal, and she accepted it when she took the job. That is not now, and should never, be in question.
    agreed. unless other teachers in her district are routinely granted upaid leave for similar reasons, it's her tough luck.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #80
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I don't think so, I think my nephew who is a teacher in NC told me that they can opt to spread their salary out in even sums to cover the summer time off. So they do get a check, but it is money already earned so to speak.


    j-mac
    In Alabama, don't know about other states, your annual pay is based on a 9 month calendar. you can elect to have your pay prorated and get a check every month instead of just for the 9 month of the contract year.

    the last year I taught, teachers also accrued 9 personal (aka vacation days) and 9 sick days per contract year.

    regardless of what clueless bubba thinks he knows, these personal and sick days can be taken at the discretion of the employee. there is no "management approval" required.

    I personally have seen teachers accrue personal days for several years and then take a month off.


    maybe the system is different where this lady teaches, maybe not. regardless, she would have a stronger case had see attempted to use earned paid leave instead of asking for unpaid leave.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •