Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 217

Thread: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave to

  1. #31
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    no longer required to kiss the black stone, you can simply point at it as you circle.

    no longer required to make animal sacrifice, you can appoint someone to do it for you

    no longer throw stones at the pillars, they have been replaced with long stone walls with catch basins in the interest of safety.

    I was under the impression that a ritual was a ritual. if you can change some parts of it for the sake of convenience/safety, why not all parts?
    I did not even know the last one and whether it is true. You do still perform the ritual stone throwing, I do know that.

    The logistic of kissing the stone is probably why. People fight to kiss it and end up dying especially the old or those who bring children
    When I go, I'm going to do all three. I'm old school. Screw someone else killing my animal for me

    You can't change the date, that is set in stone because Eid is set in stone.

    The Hajj formally begins on the eighth day of Dhul-Hijjah (the 12th month of the Islamic lunar year). It is during this month that the annual pilgrimage to Mecca occurs. Prophet Muhamamad himself sanctioned the first ten days of this month as a special time for devotion. All of the rituals cumulate on Eid < More complex but short and simple version


  2. #32
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I did not even know the last one and whether it is true. You do still perform the ritual stone throwing, I do know that.

    The logistic of kissing the stone is probably why. People fight to kiss it and end up dying especially the old or those who bring children
    When I go, I'm going to do all three. I'm old school. Screw someone else killing my animal for me

    You can't change the date, that is set in stone because Eid is set in stone.

    The Hajj formally begins on the eighth day of Dhul-Hijjah (the 12th month of the Islamic lunar year). It is during this month that the annual pilgrimage to Mecca occurs. Prophet Muhamamad himself sanctioned the first ten days of this month as a special time for devotion. All of the rituals cumulate on Eid < More complex but short and simple version

    I still don't see why, if you can change the kissing of the stone due to the logistics/safety issues, you can't change the date due to the logistics of people getting there from all over the globe. the world is a much bigger palce than when Muhammamad sanctioned the first ten days.

    in the grand scheme of things...one would hope that Allah would be understanding about it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I still don't see why, if you can change the kissing of the stone due to the logistics/safety issues, you can't change the date due to the logistics of people getting there from all over the globe. the world is a much bigger palce than when Muhammamad sanctioned the first ten days.

    in the grand scheme of things...one would hope that Allah would be understanding about it.
    You can't change the date.

    It would be like asking Christians to change Christmas on a whim or whatever other holiday they hold as important.

    Edit: Or Easter!


  4. #34
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    You can't change the date.

    It would be like asking Christians to change Christmas on a whim or whatever other holiday they hold as important.

    Edit: Or Easter!
    not the same thing. you can celebrate christmas or easter anywhere.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    not the same thing. you can celebrate christmas or easter anywhere.
    Well ... yeah true. But it's the closest example I can think of in regards to dates
    Its not so much celebrating it as much as the timing that is the issue and that cannot be changed


  6. #36
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Well ... yeah true. But it's the closest example I can think of in regards to dates
    Its not so much celebrating it as much as the timing that is the issue and that cannot be changed
    I was in Iraq last year for christmas. my wife decorated the house and left everything in place until I returned home in June. We celebrated Christmas on the 22 of June and God didn't strike me dead.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    You can't change the date.

    It would be like asking Christians to change Christmas on a whim or whatever other holiday they hold as important.

    Edit: Or Easter!
    In regards to Christmas it's not like Christ was born on Dec. 25 anyway. All evidence points to him being born in the summer.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I thought she did

    Did I misread the article?
    Fine.

    So why the lawsuit?

  9. #39
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    I really have trouble supporting the teacher in this one. She gets a couple months off every year, so why couldn't she do it then?
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    She gets a couple months off every year, so why couldn't she do it then?
    This has already been answered. You can't do Hajj on a "summer holiday" time off, it happens on a specific time of the year


Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •