Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 372

Thread: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

  1. #81
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So far actually it is not headed that way, since most judges have rules that it is constitutional out of those that even heard the challenge. Details, they are important.
    Uh huh....We'll see won't we.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #82
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    SO why is it that we can expect Americans by-law to purchase insurance, and yet we cant mandate that people provide for their families and children? And if we wont expect them to feed their children what on earth makes anyone think they will pay for insurance? How does ANYONE realistically believe this flies?

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So far it's headed that way....either that or Obama better get the printing press to start printing those waivers....lol.


    j-mac
    Like I said in post #63, the issue is "penalty" -vs- "tax". Moreover, joint state/regional high-risk pools (HRPs) will act as the prelude to joint state/regional health insurance exchanges. The PPAC Act will very likely be declared constitutional before it's all said and done because the framework for it has already been laid. I doubt if this case gets to the Supreme Court before the law goes into effect in 2014, but if it does the success or failure of the HRPs will be the real justification for striking the law down. Opponents (Republican governors) will do everything they can to stall their effectiveness, but those sick individuals who have had success using the HRPs will be the true witnesses to its effectiveness.

    Again, how do you like your popcorn? With or without butter? Carmel? Spicing seasoning? I'm partial to the white fluffy kind w/o the kernals. My daughter hooked me on it...that stuff's addictive!!!

  4. #84
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    SO why is it that we can expect Americans by-law to purchase insurance, and yet we cant mandate that people provide for their families and children? And if we wont expect them to feed their children what on earth makes anyone think they will pay for insurance? How does ANYONE realistically believe this flies?
    Because the law provides provisions (aid) for the poor to receive credit to defray the cost OR go directly into Medicaid. Moreover, people who have health care via their employer won't have a problem retaining health care with said employer even if said employer changes insurance companies. As long as the employer makes the insurance available at the start of every enrollment period which the law mandates they must do, no one gets dropped. Instead, the individuals chooses to acquire health care via some other means, i.e., they pay for it themselves or go without. In such case, the mandate tax "penalty" kicks in.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 12-13-10 at 06:44 PM.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    When is a loss not really so bad?

    Hudson ruled against the government, but he didn't stop it (you can read the full opinion here). He refused the plaintiff's request for an injunction against the legislation's continued implementation. The construction of the bill's infrastructure will continue.
    Yes, they can "build infrastructure" but they can't actually implement it -- so it has the same effect as an injunction, only they're not barred from making preparations in the event the decision gets overturned on appeal.

    The judge felt no irreparable harm would occur in allowing the government to make preparations that could easily be reversed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    And second, he refused to overrule anything but the individual mandate itself…
    Well, the Minimum Essential Coverage Provision and any provision that is directly dependent on it.

    It seems extremely unlikely that he would have invalidated a 2,700 page bill -- much of which had nothing to do with health care -- simply because of this one provision. So, no surprise here.

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    abc, today: obamacare popularity at all time low

    New Low in Support for Health Care Reform - The Numbers

    seeya in congress, folks

  7. #87
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Yes, they can "build infrastructure" but they can't actually implement it -- so it has the same effect as an injunction, only they're not barred from making preparations in the event the decision gets overturned on appeal.

    The judge felt no irreparable harm would occur in allowing the government to make preparations that could easily be reversed.
    It's not going to be implemented until 2014, so it's not exactly a big deal. It will be through the court system by then. So your "same effect" is no effect.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #88
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Not much else matters actually except,
    A.
    The majority of americans dont like the plan,
    and therefor
    B.
    a majority republican house wont fund it.

    it's dead in the water, effectivly repealed.

  9. #89
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Because the law provides provisions (aid) for the poor to receive credit to defray the cost OR go directly into Medicaid. Moreover, people who have health care via their employer won't have a problem retaining health care with said employer even if said employer changes insurance companies. As long as the employer makes the insurance available at the start of every enrollment period which the law mandates they must do, no one gets dropped. Instead, the individuals chooses to acquire health care via some other means, i.e., they pay for it themselves or go without. In such case, the mandate tax "penalty" kicks in.
    Do you really (are you serious? Are you serious??? NP) believe that there will be private insurance 5-10 years from now? And who is 'poor'? Is it anyone under the $250k cap? Anyone under the poverty level? And how much is that going to jack up the costs (which is why they will eventually insist the only answer is increasing taxes and offering universal healthcare...sure...you can pay for insurance...again...)? How many employers will just pay the fine (considering the fine is projected to be less than the cost of providing coverage)? And how many more business will get 'waivers' so they wont be included in the requirment to provide coverage for their employees?

    I see one future...shut down medicare, medicaid, coverage for seniors, shut down VA hospitals: one system...universal healthcare. For all except the very wealthy who will pay for private doctors or go to another country for their healthcare.

  10. #90
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    abc, today: obamacare popularity at all time low

    New Low in Support for Health Care Reform - The Numbers

    seeya in congress, folks
    The only way Congress has any affect on the health care reform law is if by or before 2014 we have a Republican Congress and a Republican president. Otherwise, it's all on the SC as to the constitutionality of this law. So, grab a seat and watch the theater unfold.

    Do you take seasoned salt or hot sauce on your popcorn? Yellow or white? (I'm sorry...I just gotta laugh at all the hysteria on this issue. Nothing's going to be final until the SC has its say. BTW, the Virginia District court judge may as well recuse himself now that reports are out concerning his apparent ties to the forthcoming House Speaker and the GOP. Where's the impartiality in our judicial system?)

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •