Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 372

Thread: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

  1. #191
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Besides, in the federal court system, judges are not elected, they're selected and serve for life.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  2. #192
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not exactly. There was a war, to start with, and then the courts actually did interfer in civil rights and it was not done by popular vote. The courts acted because the LAW enabled them to act. The law is clear concerning discrimination.
    Yes, and for that to be law, and constitutional it was adopted through amendment. The problem today with far too many liberals, IMHO, is that they see the constitution a hinderance to what they want to impose on the body of the people, so they go through the courts to impose that will through unelected arbiters. This is tyranny.

    And we don't vote on matters of the individual. To deny anyone rights, you have to have a just cause.
    You can't deny what you don't have the power to deny. IOW, if I don't give you the power to deny my rights, you simply can't do it.

    I had a lawyer once try to explain that to folks on WS once.
    Yeah, Groucho was dead wrong, and a Marxist.

    The majority is not free to impose their beliefs on others without just cause to do so.
    "Just cause" or not, we are not ruled by majority vote in this country. If you want something to be constitutional, you have to provide amendment. Period.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #193
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yes, and for that to be law, and constitutional it was adopted through amendment. The problem today with far too many liberals, IMHO, is that they see the constitution a hinderance to what they want to impose on the body of the people, so they go through the courts to impose that will through unelected arbiters. This is tyranny.
    You do have a warped spin, which I attribute to reading much American (non) Thinker. But know. There are laws on the books now, put there by our representatives, with our votes, and it is htese laws that form the legal rationale for the ruling you keep seeing. No activism, but adhereing to the law, as it is written.


    You can't deny what you don't have the power to deny. IOW, if I don't give you the power to deny my rights, you simply can't do it.
    If I undertsand what you're saying, you're actually wrong. As we do deny homosexuals the legal right to marry who they love, without just cause, those who fight them having that right do deny them equal rights.


    Yeah, Groucho was dead wrong, and a Marxist.
    No, I wasn't speaking to him. I had a friend who was a lawyer come on just long enough to explain the concept.

    "Just cause" or not, we are not ruled by majority vote in this country. If you want something to be constitutional, you have to provide amendment. Period.

    j-mac
    You're right, we are not ruled by majority vote, and we do have amendments one the books, which is why denying them equal rights is unconstitutional. Again, you have to at least understand why the courts are ruling they way they are. It is because of the admendments and laws on the books right now.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #194
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You do have a warped spin, which I attribute to reading much American (non) Thinker.

    Works both ways Joe, your spin I think is dictated by the host of liberal indoctrinators, and your proximity to the Ivory tower.

    But know. There are laws on the books now, put there by our representatives, with our votes, and it is htese laws that form the legal rationale for the ruling you keep seeing. No activism, but adhereing to the law, as it is written.
    You mean the interpretation don't you?

    If I undertsand what you're saying, you're actually wrong. As we do deny homosexuals the legal right to marry who they love, without just cause, those who fight them having that right do deny them equal rights.
    Do the people's voice on the matter have any bearing at all? Referendums were held, and voted down. That is the will of the people, then judges came in and over ruled the election results, what do you call that?

    You're right, we are not ruled by majority vote, and we do have amendments one the books, which is why denying them equal rights is unconstitutional.
    Alright, let's use your argument....The rights of an unborn child in the right to live are being abridged by you because you (not you personally) used the courts to through Stare Decisis set precedent and make law through judicial fiat. How can you hold such double standard?


    Again, you have to at least understand why the courts are ruling they way they are. It is because of the admendments and laws on the books right now.
    Not in all cases as I have shown.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #195
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Works both ways Joe, your spin I think is dictated by the host of liberal indoctrinators, and your proximity to the Ivory tower.
    You don't know how funny this is considering who I am.


    You mean the interpretation don't you?
    After a while, when nearly all judges see it the same way, it elevates to a little more than interpretation. But, yes, judges read the law and rule on what it says, what it means and what it effects. In part, that is why we have judges.

    Do the people's voice on the matter have any bearing at all? Referendums were held, and voted down. That is the will of the people, then judges came in and over ruled the election results, what do you call that?
    On the law, no. If people held a referendum that people could steal from you, it wouldn't change the law, and you'd be damn glad it didn't. They ahve to change the law, which takes time and effort. Just being upset with the law is not enough to ignore it.


    Alright, let's use your argument....The rights of an unborn child in the right to live are being abridged by you because you (not you personally) used the courts to through Stare Decisis set precedent and make law through judicial fiat. How can you hold such double standard?
    Don't mistake me for someone else. I'm a Catholic, don't forget. But, if you believe the unborn are a fetus and not yet a human being, that would change the view. Things do get complicated.


    Not in all cases as I have shown.

    j-mac
    Don't overestimate what you've shown. In fact, you haven't. Just disagreeng with the courts doesn't mean they didn't tackle the law. You really have to tackle their reading of the law. That's where the debate really begins.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    OMG, it's a judicial activist miracle...!!

    Praise be!
    No it is looking at the constitution and showing why it is wrong.

  7. #197
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Jeez, no complaints about activist judges here I see...
    judicial activism is when Judges step beyond the proper bounds of Judicial Review (which is a negative function; to void laws that are in violation of the Constitution as they pertain to the "cases or controversies" that come befor them) into Judicial Supremacy (wherein the Supreme Court claims that it's decisions are the Constitution) and into Judicial Positivism; which holds that judges have the right to enforce positive actions as well as negatively strike down unconstitutional ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, she didn't and wasn't. Sorry.
    she was correct, and the Founders agreed with her. that law students laughed is indicative of their education.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    rebuttal post of the day!
    we have certainly seemed to have fulfilled many of Jeffersons' direst warnings in this regards.

  8. #198
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So, you see judges like representatives, not obligated to law, but whores for public opinion polls? Is that your ideal?
    we have a system of checks and balances that seems to have no current check on judges. that doesn't bother you?





    okay, how about this. I agree to the lefts' inclination to let the judiciary solve all major social issues for us. It can decide whether or not Obamacare is legal, whether or not gays can marry, whether or not an unborn child is to be considered a human... all of that.

    so long as i get to pick the Judge. Roy Moore.






    now, note your response to this.

  9. #199
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    we have a system of checks and balances that seems to have no current check on judges. that doesn't bother you?





    okay, how about this. I agree to the lefts' inclination to let the judiciary solve all major social issues for us. It can decide whether or not Obamacare is legal, whether or not gays can marry, whether or not an unborn child is to be considered a human... all of that.

    so long as i get to pick the Judge. Roy Moore.






    now, note your response to this.
    First, judges should be checked not on whether the populace agrees with their ruling, but if they ahere to proper procedure and rule of law. Just because you or I don't like the ruling doesn't mean the ruling was wrong, or incompetent or even judicial activism. Laws are in place, and since the first law was ever written, there has been debate on what the law meant. So, we have judges. If the judge is held not to the law, but to popular opinion, then the law and the meaning of the law will change fasted the the Flash trying on a million shoes. There's no consistency and no respect for rule of law.

    You always miss the point the CP. For you, it is about the only answer being the one you've predetermined to be the right answer, evidence and logic be damned. I'm sorry for that. But, if the court rules against health care reform, so be it. We shold go back to work and not whine about the judges. And if the judges looked at the law, and thier trullings have repeatedly pointed to the law, well, too bad for you. Go back to work making a better case, or change the law. You'd still be wrong to be so discriminatory toward others, but at least the judges would then be on your side, supporting the law, and not being subject to popular opinion.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #200
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Health Care Reform Provision Is Unconstitutional, Federal Judge Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    she was correct, and the Founders agreed with her. that law students laughed is indicative of their education.


    No, she wasn't, and I did link some reading for you on this. You're one line sillness not withstanding, she was wrong. And not just on that. (as if she was right on one thing it would make the ten other things OK ).

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •