Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 256

Thread: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

  1. #181
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And if I disagree that the wars we are engaged in are "needless" as you put it? what then?


    j-mac
    Then you make that argument. I don't see it holding up, but you're free to make that arguement. But realize, others are still likely to see your concern of spending money as being quite selective.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    It'd be difficult for schools to remove the vending machines without unreasonable cuts in their budgets. Vending contracts just for single school districts run into the millions. I don't mind paying more taxes to fund our schools so they don't have to rely on corporations, but I'm often in the minority on that stance.
    Good point. Many saw corporations as a savior for school budgets, but didn't really factor in the cost associated with that choice. If corporations could fund without the vending machines or the advertising, it might be a valid way to fund. But without it, we really need to find another way, and I for one agree with you. I would not object to my tax dollar being spent on schools.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #183
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Kelzie, just a question....Do you have children?


    j-mac
    I'll tell you when you respond to my post. And by "to my post" I don't mean "at my post." If you're not going to offer anything substantial, I see no reason to actively encourage this bantering, no matter how entertaining.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  4. #184
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Just a question....Is there money to the schools from the Fed if they comply with the standards?

    j-mac
    I don't know about money for the schools, but certainly this program will benefit farmers who are getting an enhanced market for their products. So, it looks like corporate welfare for farmers to me, so far.

    Once a year or so we go have lunch with our grandkids at their schools, bringing our own food.
    It is easy to see how much of these nutritious foods provided by the schools are being wasted. They choose what they want, but still throw a substantial amount of it in the trash cans.
    Young children will eat what they want, if it is available.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #185
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    I'll tell you when you respond to my post. And by "to my post" I don't mean "at my post." If you're not going to offer anything substantial, I see no reason to actively encourage this bantering, no matter how entertaining.
    I thought long and hard about the argument you are making, and holding up Anamarie as an example, when that example is over 10 years old, the girl was returned to her parents less than two months after the specious charges leveled at them, and has a Yale certified doctor baffled by the case, leading any reasonable person to conclude that it is not the food her parents are feeding her, but some medical condition that is the cause.

    However, you continue to reject anything that refutes that these parents are anything but irresponsible in order to make your argument that we need big government to step in and dictate what we as parents choose for our children. And further, that the argument that you are making smacks of the government knowing better for our children than we do as parents. I think that is wrong, and am only asking if you have children, or if you are coming at this from a pure ideological stance?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #186
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I don't know about money for the schools, but certainly this program will benefit farmers who are getting an enhanced market for their products. So, it looks like corporate welfare for farmers to me, so far.
    Ok, that I can see as a reasonable conclusion, but it would be interesting to note whether or not the schools are getting a 'carrot v. stick' component to this as well.

    Once a year or so we go have lunch with our grandkids at their schools, bringing our own food.
    It is easy to see how much of these nutritious foods provided by the schools are being wasted. They choose what they want, but still throw a substantial amount of it in the trash cans.
    Young children will eat what they want, if it is available.
    Government programs are fraught with waste. This we all know. So why are we arguing on whether to expand that waste?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #187
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Good point. Many saw corporations as a savior for school budgets, but didn't really factor in the cost associated with that choice. If corporations could fund without the vending machines or the advertising, it might be a valid way to fund. But without it, we really need to find another way, and I for one agree with you. I would not object to my tax dollar being spent on schools.

    And many would also likewise chastise corporations if they didn't contribute to schools systems, as greedy.....Catch 22 eh?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #188
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And many would also likewise chastise corporations if they didn't contribute to schools systems, as greedy.....Catch 22 eh?

    j-mac
    Not really. Companies are really too busy to worry. And there is no requirement that they contribute. But they could benefit from positive PR and really don't need to advertise or have vending machines in schools.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #189
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not really. Companies are really too busy to worry. And there is no requirement that they contribute. But they could benefit from positive PR and really don't need to advertise or have vending machines in schools.

    Would it be ok in your mind if the vending machines had healthier choices in them? Say instead of a can of soda, they had Juice, and water?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #190
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I thought long and hard about the argument you are making, and holding up Anamarie as an example, when that example is over 10 years old, the girl was returned to her parents less than two months after the specious charges leveled at them, and has a Yale certified doctor baffled by the case, leading any reasonable person to conclude that it is not the food her parents are feeding her, but some medical condition that is the cause.

    However, you continue to reject anything that refutes that these parents are anything but irresponsible in order to make your argument that we need big government to step in and dictate what we as parents choose for our children. And further, that the argument that you are making smacks of the government knowing better for our children than we do as parents. I think that is wrong, and am only asking if you have children, or if you are coming at this from a pure ideological stance?

    j-mac
    I have two and one more on the way. And thank you.

    Suspicious genetic disorders aside I hope we can both agree that there are clear cases where the government does know better. Would you raise issue if CPS removed a teenage girl whose parent's had starved her down to 70 lbs? Or lets just say this three year-old wasn't the physics defying case she appears to be and her parents had over fed her to the point where she's 120 lbs. How could you not agree that the parents are making a wrong choice to the level of endangering their child?

    To be clear, I'm not advocating the government steps in if your child has ten pounds of pudge on him. In this case the medical community got involved and said the child was in danger. However, if the government is going to be spending money providing school lunches, I see no problem with the government deciding their money should be spend promoting healthy food. Your kids don't have to eat it.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •