Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 256

Thread: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

  1. #91
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    WE do it for countless other children in numerous other countries - why not our own? (that's my liberal view)

    At the same time I want parents to actually take care of their own kids and be responsible with their spending - putting NEEDS before WANTS.
    I struggle with this as a liberal. I want parents to take care of their kids too. Part of me wants to go all Darwinian on their ass and let them and their kids die of heart attacks at 40. But then another side of me wonders at what point we as a society draws the line. If 75% of our kids are obese, do we let the government step in via school lunches, etc?
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  2. #92
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    feed the children all three meals, year round...check.

    Next...

    Free internet for all the "nappy headed children as a basic human right"
    (FCC Commissioner Mignon Clyburn, daughter of Congressman James Clyburn)
    Breitbart.tv » Free Internet a Civil Right for ‘Every Nappy-Headed Child’
    it's not like students who are without internet access are unable to compete against those who do
    or is it
    or do we just not want our students to attain their real potential ... especially the nappy headed ones
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #93
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,620

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    WE do it for countless other children in numerous other countries - why not our own? (that's my liberal view)

    At the same time I want parents to actually take care of their own kids and be responsible with their spending - putting NEEDS before WANTS.
    Its just another federal government funded entitlement program. The program creates more beauracracy (as I recall when it was originally discussed it created 17 new offices), it has undefined grants with undefined criteria...Its another program that people just supported without even knowing what was being voted on, how it was being paid for, etc.

    Its all been said before. This legislation adds all foster children to the free meals roles...yet, foster parents are already provided the money to feed and clothe and nurture the kids.

    Meh...so be it...more crippled and dependent pets just means less competition in the future for my grandkids. So...win win...

  4. #94
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,620

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    it's not like students who are without internet access are unable to compete against those who do
    or is it
    or do we just not want our students to attain their real potential ... especially the nappy headed ones
    Ignoring the obvious point that there isnt an area or program that government officials wont deem a 'human right'...or that is the role and responsibility of the federal government to provide...

  5. #95
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    My feeling is that, this happens when the proposal is far too broad, and encompassing for people to grasp all that is in it.

    What would have been the problem with taking this health care overhaul in pieces? I think you would have had a much greater chance of getting more, than the dishonest way demo's went about it.

    j-mac
    I think it is more that political entertainers and dishonest politiicans clouded the issue with misinformation. If we had had honest debate, minus the death panel and socialism nonsense, we might have had a very different outcome. But I think politiicans, not limited to republicans, fear honest debate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #96
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Ignoring the obvious point that there isnt an area or program that government officials wont deem a 'human right'...or that is the role and responsibility of the federal government to provide...
    or it could be viewed as promoting the general welfare of our citizens
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #97
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,648

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    or it could be viewed as promoting the general welfare of our citizens
    Government for the past century was working on getting people out of being homeless, jobless, and without food. They have yet to succeed in getting every man, woman and child much of that. The internet should not be considered a need.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #98
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    I struggle with this as a liberal. I want parents to take care of their kids too. Part of me wants to go all Darwinian on their ass and let them and their kids die of heart attacks at 40. But then another side of me wonders at what point we as a society draws the line. If 75% of our kids are obese, do we let the government step in via school lunches, etc?
    Where have you been, Kelzie? We missed you...
    IF the idea is to ensure good nutrition with low calories, it sounds like a good idea. But how do we know if the kids are eating junk at home after getting 3 "nutritious" meals at school? Certainly we have a lot of fatties who are getting too many calories, some while eating healthy type foods.
    I can't speak for other families, but when I was a kid, we ate what mom put on our plates. She didn't cook extra, leftovers were rare, and we didn't have unlimited access to her kitchen. A snack would be PB&J on toast. There was no pop, chips, cookies, etc. Easter, Halloween, and Christmas were the only times we got candy. We never ate out, fast food or slow food. I only knew a few fatties at our school. We did have a few vending machines at school.

    But that was then....We are lucky to have so much extra food available to us today, but it doesn't have to become gluttony.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #99
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Government for the past century was working on getting people out of being homeless, jobless, and without food. They have yet to succeed in getting every man, woman and child much of that. The internet should not be considered a need.
    Yet, we all know families who "can't afford health insurance" who have new cars, cable TV, internet, games, multiple cell phones, etc...
    Maybe if we feed their kids, they will buy insurance?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #100
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Obama to sign Child Nutrition Bill today

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Where have you been, Kelzie? We missed you...
    It's good to pop in every now and then. I'm sure soon enough I'll get frustrated that debating never changes someone's opinion and leave again.

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    IF the idea is to ensure good nutrition with low calories, it sounds like a good idea. But how do we know if the kids are eating junk at home after getting 3 "nutritious" meals at school? Certainly we have a lot of fatties who are getting too many calories, some while eating healthy type foods.
    I can't speak for other families, but when I was a kid, we ate what mom put on our plates. She didn't cook extra, leftovers were rare, and we didn't have unlimited access to her kitchen. A snack would be PB&J on toast. There was no pop, chips, cookies, etc. Easter, Halloween, and Christmas were the only times we got candy. We never ate out, fast food or slow food. I only knew a few fatties at our school. We did have a few vending machines at school.

    But that was then....We are lucky to have so much extra food available to us today, but it doesn't have to become gluttony.
    I've been doing a little bit of research on the food programs in the public schools and they could do with a lot of changes. For instance, a school can get pizza and a side of macaroni and cheese reimbursed from the government, but not a tuna sandwich on wheat bread with a side salad. There are a number of schools (Boulder, CO comes to mind) that are going it alone because the current school lunch program doesn't require enough nutritionally dense food. I had pizza every single day for lunch in high school, and why wouldn't I? The other choice was Taco Bell.

    I know there's not much we can do at home, besides education. But I think it's important that our schools at least don't contribute to the malnourishment of our children.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •