Page 75 of 163 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 1624

Thread: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

  1. #741
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Sorry, but the one confused is you, this is a 17 year law that now all of a sudden has become a major issue for a very small percentage of people who make this the centerpoint in their life all the while ignoring that Obama had a filibuster proof Senate for part of his term and never brought the issue up. Looks like it is going to be repealed anyway so that 2% of the military can tout their sexuality. Sure makes me feel safer and economically stronger. Hope you feel better!
    Every single bit of this rant has been addressed to you, except the last sentence. Rather than rehash the simple facts about waiting for a report and details like that, I will just look at the "touting their sexuality" comment, which is pure spin on something entirely different.

    The issue is not "touting", it's not having to hide their sexuality in the exact same way that straits do not. A gay could mention his boyfriend/girlfriend in passing in the same way that a strait could. That is not "touting". A gay couple could walk hand in hand in the mall. That is not "touting". Gays would have the exact same rights as straits in the military, no more, no less. That is not "touting".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #742
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You seem to have missed the point. The point was that a strait soldier would not have been discharged. It's a double standard that serves no purpose, and leads to those who are gay having additional difficulties that straits do not while serving. Lastly, it was not stupid, as personal emails where allowed on the computer, and where to be considered confidential.
    As a Federal Judge once said in a trial I was involved in, I have seen nothing in the case presented that changes the fact that there is a law on the books that prohibits the activity under consideration and thus the claim is declined. You don't like the law get it changed but in the meantime it is was it is.

  3. #743
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Every single bit of this rant has been addressed to you, except the last sentence. Rather than rehash the simple facts about waiting for a report and details like that, I will just look at the "touting their sexuality" comment, which is pure spin on something entirely different.

    The issue is not "touting", it's not having to hide their sexuality in the exact same way that straits do not. A gay could mention his boyfriend/girlfriend in passing in the same way that a strait could. That is not "touting". A gay couple could walk hand in hand in the mall. That is not "touting". Gays would have the exact same rights as straits in the military, no more, no less. That is not "touting".
    They would except for the simple fact that there is a law on the books, passed by a Democrat Congress and signed by a Democrat President that prevents a gay soldier from being openly gay. When and if that law is changed, only then will you have a case. 17 years this has been law, 17 YEARS!!

  4. #744
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    They would except for the simple fact that there is a law on the books, passed by a Democrat Congress and signed by a Democrat President that prevents a gay soldier from being openly gay. When and if that law is changed, only then will you have a case. 17 years this has been law, 17 YEARS!!
    I don't think the amount of time this law has been in existence or who passed it has any bearing on this discussion. If I hadn't been ten when the law was passed, I would have disagreed with it then. I disagree with it now, and that's enough for me to support it's repeal, no matter the other issues the country is facing, how long it's been a law or what party passed it.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  5. #745
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    I don't think the amount of time this law has been in existence or who passed it has any bearing on this discussion. If I hadn't been ten when the law was passed, I would have disagreed with it then. I disagree with it now, and that's enough for me to support it's repeal, no matter the other issues the country is facing, how long it's been a law or what party passed it.
    The point is it doesn't take 17 years to get things through the court system. IMO it just goes to show the real interest out there on this issue.

  6. #746
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    As a Federal Judge once said in a trial I was involved in, I have seen nothing in the case presented that changes the fact that there is a law on the books that prohibits the activity under consideration and thus the claim is declined. You don't like the law get it changed but in the meantime it is was it is.
    No one is claiming(well, at least not me) that those who violate DADT should not be discharged as long as the law is on the books. What is being discussed is whether the law should be changed.
    Last edited by Redress; 12-14-10 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Conservative pointed out my incorect wording.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #747
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The point is it doesn't take 17 years to get things through the court system. IMO it just goes to show the real interest out there on this issue.
    And I agree that people care much more about the economy than DADT. Hell, I care more about then economy and I'm about the biggest supporter of the repeal there is. But that doesn't mean we have to ignore everything until unemployment is below 6%. I can still care about the economy while supporting the repeal.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  8. #748
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The point is it doesn't take 17 years to get things through the court system. IMO it just goes to show the real interest out there on this issue.
    Actually, the court cases are starting to make it to trial. Initially there was issues with standing as I understand it, which got the first set thrown out. The standing issue has been resolved, and cases such as the Log Cabin Republicans case are being handled now.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #749
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    They would except for the simple fact that there is a law on the books, passed by a Democrat Congress and signed by a Democrat President that prevents a gay soldier from being openly gay. When and if that law is changed, only then will you have a case. 17 years this has been law, 17 YEARS!!
    And again, the issue is whether the law should be overturned, not whether the discharges should have happened. We went over this earlier in the thread as well.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #750
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No one is claiming(well, at least not me) that those who violate DADT should be discharged as long as the law is on the books. What is being discussed is whether the law should be changed.
    The proponents of changing the law had 17 years to do it including 7 years of Clinton, 8 years of Bush, and two years of Obama. They didn't do it and the question is why?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •