Page 47 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 1624

Thread: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

  1. #461
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    But it IS a done issue...

    At some point inside the next 5 years, barring a major change in how things appear to be going, DADT will be repealed.
    We shall see my left wing friend.....I doubt if good morals will drop in that short period of time....It took many years for God to destroy Sodom.....
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #462
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    01-17-18 @ 05:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,825

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    For the same reason you don't compare a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass to a 2011 Ferrari.

    Other than having four tires and a steering wheel, they're not at all comparable on any line of measurement.
    Well, yeah...

    But I'm trying to say that, however "enlightened" the militaries that have no limitations like DADT are supposed to be, there are far worse situations than DADT.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #463
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    They where asked the exact relevant question: will it effect readiness. Sorry Navy, republicans voting against this have reached the point of being ludicrous.
    I saw what was asked and the question of "Do you think DADT should be repealed was not asked.........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  4. #464
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    01-17-18 @ 05:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,825

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    We shall see my left wing friend.....I doubt if good morals will drop in that short period of time....It took many years for God to destroy Sodom.....
    As you say...We shall see...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #465
    Advisor WeAreReborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    09-09-11 @ 08:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    504

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Look my clueless left wing friend, I forgot more about this issue then you will ever know.........I talk to guys in the fleet all the time..........Anyhow we don't have to worry about it any more because the issue is dead..........Live with ot........
    Really? Because surveys have showed the majority of voters and soldiers wish to repeal it. So the two most important people in terms of this issue wish to repeal it. So you are right it is done with but it is an injustice and shows the blatant discrimination towards homsexuals.
    Americans Support Repeal of ?Don?t Ask Don?t Tell?
    http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_N..._OK_With_Gays/

  6. #466
    Advisor WeAreReborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    09-09-11 @ 08:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    504

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I saw what was asked and the question of "Do you think DADT should be repealed was not asked.........
    To be fair this is a forum, and forums get off of topic all the time. To be quite honest I think it is better that way because it changes according to the poster's interest..

  7. #467
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    03-29-11 @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    178

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Look my clueless left wing friend, I forgot more about this issue then you will ever know.........I talk to guys in the fleet all the time..........Anyhow we don't have to worry about it any more because the issue is dead..........Live with ot........
    Lets face it. The only reason the Republicans blocked this bill was homophobia. They aren't going to say it, but it is true. 10% of people are gay. Face it. I have quite a few gay friends, and I can tell you, Navy Pride, they would think you are a disgusting human being. There is no logical reason that we shouldn't repeal DADT. We have a huge deficit of translators because of DADT. War Heros have been kicked out of the military for being gay. It is utterly ridiculous that this is still a problem. And you are extremely foolish if you say that the issue is dead. There is a bill being reintroduced as we type. And if the reason is homophobia, let me clue you in. Gay people are NO DIFFERENT FROM YOU OR ME. THEY HAVE NO CONTROL OF THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION. It is a civil rights issue. And in 100 years, if the US is still around, students in school are going to be asking, "What the hell was wrong with those guys? Didn't they realize that homosexuality was just like skin color and people had no control over it?" And their teachers response will be, "Yes, some of them did. But some ignorant people chose to ignore the science and rely on a book written 2000 years ago." Get educated
    "This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." -John Adams

  8. #468
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    01-17-18 @ 05:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,825

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop View Post
    Lets face it. The only reason the Republicans blocked this bill was homophobia. They aren't going to say it, but it is true. 10% of people are gay. Face it. I have quite a few gay friends, and I can tell you, Navy Pride, they would think you are a disgusting human being. There is no logical reason that we shouldn't repeal DADT. We have a huge deficit of translators because of DADT. War Heros have been kicked out of the military for being gay. It is utterly ridiculous that this is still a problem. And you are extremely foolish if you say that the issue is dead. There is a bill being reintroduced as we type. And if the reason is homophobia, let me clue you in. Gay people are NO DIFFERENT FROM YOU OR ME. THEY HAVE NO CONTROL OF THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION. It is a civil rights issue. And in 100 years, if the US is still around, students in school are going to be asking, "What the hell was wrong with those guys? Didn't they realize that homosexuality was just like skin color and people had no control over it?" And their teachers response will be, "Yes, some of them did. But some ignorant people chose to ignore the science and rely on a book written 2000 years ago." Get educated
    I've never been entirely convinced of that line of argument.
    I think in some cases it is a choice, and in some cases not.

    But even if sexual orientation was an entirely voluntary choice, I would still say that DADT should be ended.

    It being a choice or not has nothing whatsoever to do with that decision, IMHO.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #469
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    03-29-11 @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    178

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I've never been entirely convinced of that line of argument.
    I think in some cases it is a choice, and in some cases not.

    But even if sexual orientation was an entirely voluntary choice, I would still say that DADT should be ended.

    It being a choice or not has nothing whatsoever to do with that decision, IMHO.
    US researchers find evidence that homosexuality linked to genetics | World news | guardian.co.uk
    That might be helpful to your understanding of the issue.
    "This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." -John Adams

  10. #470
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    01-17-18 @ 05:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,825

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop View Post
    Like I said, I think some make a choice, and some do not - the specifics never bothered me since I decided that it doesn't really matter to me which is the reason for it.

    But interesting, nonetheless.

    Edit: For that matter, I think the "It's a choice" mantra is misleading.

    Obviously, a gay person could make the choice to cease being gay (at least, in terms of actions). If they were somehow genetically/hormonally/whatever gay, it would be going against their nature - but when has that stopped a determined person?
    Last edited by The Mark; 12-10-10 at 09:16 PM.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •