Page 30 of 163 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 1624

Thread: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

  1. #291
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Whether I oppose it or not is irrelevant, I don't have a voice in the issue. I quite frankly support our military and leave that for them along with the Congress to decide. There are two things that I worry about, national security and the economy, nothing else matters. This to me is insignificant and better left to the military to decide.
    The military has decided, they have said its fine. Congress still opposes, and so do you.

    It's bull****.

  2. #292
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So apparently that was your quote and you do believe DADT impacts recruiting? Apparently military leadership disagrees with you as do the recruiting results. Amazing that whenver there is a thread on homosexulality it brings out everyone here promoting that agenda. I prefer leaving this to the all volunteer military to make the decision and it does appear that DADT repeal is dead. Live with it.
    It's a bit premature to make that call. Sen. Joe Manchin has proven to be quite a roadblock, but there is no saying how far Republican support for repeal extends if it is a stand alone issue.

    Honestly, even if repeal is dead for the next 2 years, we can expect both presidential candidates in 2012 to favor repeal because there is such popular support for it, both within the military and in the public at large, and there is no indication that is going to change. Even the military leaders who are most staunchly opposed to repeal now are so because we are currently engaged in 2 wars, and so as we continue to withdraw from Afghanistan and Iraq, we will probably see the last support for this policy diminish significantly.

  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Because obviously they don't believe that the talented gay person is better than the straight person enlisting. The passion for this issue is absolutely amazing to me and the question is why? How does having a gay person in the military or not affect you?
    Ask the people who support DADT, or the soldiers who, apparently, don't give a flying toss.

    And no, it's because they have this ridiculous chain tied around their neck.

  4. #294
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    First I didn't say that gays will do any job better just because they are gay. Different people do some things better than others, it depends on the individual, not their sexuality.

    The Navy nuclear program is struggling to recruit people that are able to make it through the school and stay in. They are always undermanned. During my time in, I knew 3 nukes that were discharged under DADT. It costs a lot of money to just train a nuke, not including enlistment and reenlistment bonuses, plus nukes get E-4 within 6-8 months of joining automatically and special duty pay. That's a lot of money to lose because of a discriminatory policy.
    Where is the evidence that there is a shortage in any field and that shortage is due to gays dropping out? Looks to me like the recruiting hasn't been hurt.

  5. #295
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    Ask the people who support DADT, or the soldiers who, apparently, don't give a flying toss.

    And no, it's because they have this ridiculous chain tied around their neck.
    DADT isn't going to be repealed. Why is this such an issue for you? Are you looking for the benefits the military has to offer? That would be the only reason for such passion.

  6. #296
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,951

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    DADT isn't going to be repealed. Why is this such an issue for you? Are you looking for the benefits the military has to offer? That would be the only reason for such passion.
    It will be repealed eventually.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #297
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Because obviously they don't believe that the talented gay person is better than the straight person enlisting. The passion for this issue is absolutely amazing to me and the question is why? How does having a gay person in the military or not affect you?
    If you had to stand more watches because of an outdated, discriminatory policy that never had any proof to support it being in place in the first place, you'd see how it can affect some people.

    Not to mention, we are supposed to live in the greatest, most free country in the world, yet we still have this policy that promotes intolerance and discrimination. That looks really bad on our country.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #298
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It's a bit premature to make that call. Sen. Joe Manchin has proven to be quite a roadblock, but there is no saying how far Republican support for repeal extends if it is a stand alone issue.

    Honestly, even if repeal is dead for the next 2 years, we can expect both presidential candidates in 2012 to favor repeal because there is such popular support for it, both within the military and in the public at large, and there is no indication that is going to change. Even the military leaders who are most staunchly opposed to repeal now are so because we are currently engaged in 2 wars, and so as we continue to withdraw from Afghanistan and Iraq, we will probably see the last support for this policy diminish significantly.
    The point is that the majority in this country don't believe that this issue is serious enough to warrant a lot of concern. Only a small vocal minority are fighting for this issue and the question is why?

  9. #299
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    DADT isn't going to be repealed. Why is this such an issue for you? Are you looking for the benefits the military has to offer? That would be the only reason for such passion.
    Or maybe some of us believe this is something more.

    The rights of a people on 2 fronts.

    Gays in the military may not serve openly and proudly and contribute to the defence of the nation openly and proudly like everybody else, but instead do have to lie about who they are. Do soldiers not ask each other about girls?

    Gays aren't allowed to marry as well.

    Why do these things happen? Simple. People don't like them, it has nothing to do with military cohesion at all. Militaries with openly gay soldiers don't have problems with cohesion.

  10. #300
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'Don't ask' repeal fails in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Where is the evidence that there is a shortage in any field and that shortage is due to gays dropping out? Looks to me like the recruiting hasn't been hurt.
    The fact that they offer huge enlistment and reenlistment bonuses is the evidence that they have shortages in some fields. And I have given you at least one field in particular that it affects. Deny all you want, but it is true.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •